Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 07 victory vegas 8 ball with 1200 miles. the bike only wants to idle well at full idle even when warmed up. rides fine but idles really rough

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Check the battery connections , I bet they are loose .

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
I just bought an 07 victory vegas 8 ball with 1200 miles. the bike only wants to idle well at full idle even when warmed up. rides fine but idles really rough
Full idle? Does that mean you have the idle lever pulled all the way back? What rpm's does it idle at? The idle lever does not enrichen the air to fuel ratio. All it does is increase the idle rpm's.

There is a little Phillips screw accessible from the left side just under the tank behind the ignition key. Get a long skinny Phillips screwdriver and turn that to the right after the engine is warmed up with the idle lever all the way forward (off) until you get it to idle at 1000 rpm's.

·
Registered
784 Posts
8 model year old bike with 1200 miles on it? Hope you got a smoking deal, because you will probably be spending some money on it.
All the above, but before you start adjusting things, get the top end apart and make sure all the rubber boots between the intake and TB are in good shape. No cracks, holes or dry rot. Make sure you have new brake fluid, and a full service. Check the manufacture date of your tires, and you decide. If it is on my bike it is in the trash before its 4th birthday.
A lot of folks will help you out, so don't panic this is all just normal maintenance, well except replacing the boots if they are bad.
Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Afterthought, aka part deaux, spark plugs, plug wires and the belt need a good going over and might need replacing, and don't forget about the valve stems. If you really are in to it, spend the $10 and replace the vent lines and connections.
Rubber parts deteriorate and delaminate over time. You may see it or not.
This isn't a complete list, and may actually be overkill, and probably doesn't need to be done all at once, but a good idea. It will most likely save time and money in the long run though.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Agreed eight year old bike with 1200 miles hopefully it didn't sit for years full of old nasty gas Vic fuel pumps don't like that they tend to fall apart mine did on my 04 before I bought it they had to put in a new fuel pump and the dealer told me that's what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
posting on the phone is if fie. got it to work. the idle screw is gold right. with the spring? tried to get to it but really couldn't. I'm afraid it's the fuel pump. makes sense with the low miles. but I'll exhaust other options

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
Did you empty out all the old gas and fill with fresh? Gas loses its volatility after a month. A bike of that age and that few miles sat with gas that was separating and depositing gums and varnishes in the fuel system. Especially if no stabilizer was kept in the fuel during idle periods.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try a new set of plugs Mine acted the same Changed plugs and all was good If the bike is not fully warmed up they foul . Its common on these bikes Check the simple stuff first Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts