Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I figured I would put a thread in the general section since I'm brand new to victory motorcycles and will take ANY ADVICE you have for a newbie.
I have just purchaced a 2004 kingpin and will be picking it up saturday. I know there is a great wealth of information here and I will listen to it all. Lol. From mechanics of the bike to accessories to detailing tips. Anything you want to tell me I'll listen.
Thanks so much guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
Nice looking ride!

Rob

Reactions: Motorbikerx

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Cool bike and welcome

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me start with my first question. I'm picking the bike up saturday. Is there any issues I should be looking for? It has 17,000 miles and looks very well taken care of. I'm just not sure of items to check before driving it off the lot.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I assume you are buying it from a private party. If so, he can tell you about any mods and when the last oil, plugs, filter change was. If he has service records, get them. Very important you get the owners manual too.
Don't know if you have experience with a big V-twin, but there's a tendency to run in low revs - don't! Vics like to rev and you can not hurt them by doing so. Shift at 3K+. When accelerating hard, I grab around 4500 revs for shifts. Don't ride under 2500 - 3K would be even better.
When starting, wait until the the fuel pump turns off and hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn to prevent backfiring, which can hurt the starter clutch. Hold the starter button until it starts.
In the morning, when the bike is overnight cold, check the clutch cable adjustment at the lever. There should be some free play as seen between the lever and the perch casting - about the thickness of a nickel. Ignoring this can turn into future problems.
After a long run, as soon as you get off the bike, poke the drive belt exactly between the pulleys to check for slack. There should be a little. Mine would get guitar string tight, even though I adjusted per the manual. Another forum member encouraged me to ignore the manual and adjust so there's some running slack.
Air the tires to 38-40 psi front / 40-42 rear.
Enjoy - its one of the best bikes out there, if not the best.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for all the info. It's Small stuff that you guys know that's new information to me. Keep it coming.

And on a side note. I'm buying it from a dealer so don't get all the good info :frown that's why I'm not sure of fissure to look for. But they do have their shop and said it has been gone threw and it's 100% good to go.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
But they do have their shop and said it has been gone threw and it's 100% good to go.
I had a machine repair business for over 40 years and the one thing I learned (when seeing others' work) is there are lot of guys who are dangerous with tools in their hands. So I do not trust that "100% good to go" remark.
Fortunately, these Vics are not only very dependable, but are super easy to work on. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do most anything your bike needs to stay strong. So just ask us.

·
13,262 Posts
ask for owners book and then read it. Checking oil is tricky that why you have to read it.
Good looking ride hope you have many miles of smiles

Reactions: RICZ

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Good looking bike, the 92" motor is about bullet proof you'll have many trouble free miles.

The rubber throttle body boot likes to dry rot so be aware of that.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only a few hours on the site and all kind of wonderful information. You guys are great.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good looking bike, the 92" motor is about bullet proof you'll have many trouble free miles.

The rubber throttle body boot likes to dry rot so be aware of that.
I'm assuming you are talking about where it goes into the carburetor? Is that readily available?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also if anyone has a backrest or the trunk for sale let me know. I might be needing something for the wife.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea throttle body. Lol. See how much help I need. My last street bike was a 1981 Honda 750 in 1989. Lol. No fuel injection on any bike I've ever had.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Great looking Pin you're getting.. thumb up
I see what looks like stage 1 pipes. Do you know if the bike has had any other performance upgrades done too it?

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Also if anyone has a backrest or the trunk for sale let me know. I might be needing something for the wife.
Go to "Victory Motorcycles - buy sell & trade" on FB. Lots and lots of goodies there.
Sounds like you are returning to riding after a long absence. If that's the case, do you and your family a huge favor and take a riding course. You'll be amazed how much you forgot and how many bad habits you have developed.
Do you plan to do your own maintenance?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually found this site while researching the KP and I found your member Bob who was kind enough to answer questions for me which lead to my purchase of this bike. As for upgrades he mentioned it has
premium wheels, chrome swingarm, medium apes, windshield, tach kit, Ness license plate holder (a $340 item), saddlebags, crashbars, and aftermarket pipes and probably several smaller items I can't see.

After some research I came to around $8000 whoever bought this bike added on to the sticker. Concerning I paid $4,300 out the door. I think I did pretty well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go to "Victory Motorcycles - buy sell & trade" on FB. Lots and lots of goodies there.
Sounds like you are returning to riding after a long absence. If that's the case, do you and your family a huge favor and take a riding course. You'll be amazed how much you forgot and how many bad habits you have developed.
Do you plan to do your own maintenance?
Good advice. I have been riding for many years just dirtbikes. This is definitely a different animal. And yes I'm pretty handy with a wrench. Just need the knowledge of what an issue is and I can fix it.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Good advice. I have been riding for many years just dirtbikes. This is definitely a different animal. And yes I'm pretty handy with a wrench. Just need the knowledge of what an issue is and I can fix it.
Dirtbikes is a sound basis for bike control.
Just be aware of the rest of the idiots out on the roads.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When starting, wait until the the fuel pump turns off and hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn to prevent backfiring, which can hurt the starter clutch. Hold the starter button until it starts.
I have a new 2016 Hammer S and had read a similar comment relative to starting and holding open the throttle. So, when I picked up my new bike I had a discussion with the shop owner who runs the business. The business is more of a service garage rather than a dealership. Nonetheless, what he told me was to hold the starter button (in other words, don't stab the starter) until the engine is up and running. He told me not to open the throttle, and I haven't. To me it doesn't make sense to do this on a FI bike. So, unlike my other bike, I tend to slightly over use the starter, and making sure I don't back off on the starter until the engine is really running. The owners manual says the same thing...hold button until engine is running.

Now, if your bike is not FI but rather has carbs, then maybe its a different story, but I thought all Victorys were FI.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts