Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found that deal i was lookn for. picking up my new to me victory v92c this coming monday. it is a 2003 with less than 1500 miles. the man bought it new in 05 and rode it for the summer, when his buddy was tryin to keep up with a sport bike he dumped his vstar. so the man didn't like the idea of getting all busted up like his buddy so the bike has just been sitting in a shed that looks like it is goin to cave in at any moment. will get pics as soon as i get it to the house. any ideas on what the bike might need to get it running other than the gas drained and a new battery. fuel injecter cleaner maby. any tips would be greatly appreciatedthumb up

·
Registered
107 Posts
The feeling of excitement when you get a new ride is special.

Looks like you did well - a somewhat true 'Barn Find"

Look closely at the tires

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

C

·
13,262 Posts
new bike owner

I believe your bike is fuel injected so when you put the new bat in turn the key on then off. Do this a couple time so the fuel pump gets re primed. Maybe be for firing it spray some wd40 in the cylinders and spin the motor over with no plugs in it so you get some lube on the top end. Lube the throttle cables and the clutch pivot area. If the bike has been sitting that long I would replace all the brake fluids and the tires have to go.
Take your time and maybe make a check list so you don't miss something. You can do a search here and I believe Diamond has some manuals downloads. Take your time its what you have the most of.
Good Luck thumb up

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i am really excited about it. i got the man down to 1000 so i dont think i did too badthumb up. i appreciate all of the advice guys

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
yea i am really excited about it. i got the man down to 1000 so i dont think i did too badthumb up. i appreciate all of the advice guys
You didn't buy a Victory! You stole one! Somebody call the cops please. :crzy:

Congrats on your steal. Make sure you change all the fluids a.s.a.p. and as the others have suggested, get new tires. Take your time with it, and make sure everything's in working condition before you launch yourself on a highway.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Welcome to the VF.

WOW...yeah you got a steal there!!!

If he hasn't started it on a regular basis then drain and replace the gas and oil first. That stuff has been sitting in their a long time.

The battery is probably no good so replace that.

The only other issue I can think of is when you get a chance, remove the tank and seat. Then check the wire insulation/shrink wrap. Remember your bike is almost 8 years old. On some of the older bikes the shrink wrap around the wires gets brittle and breaks. If you ride it too long like that it can literally cut through the wires and give you electrical headaches.

These bikes are pretty much bullet proof. Do the above and you should be good to go.

Where are you located? There might be a good Victory dealer around your area.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, yea i am in wilmington nc and yes there is a dealership down the road, but i want to keep this on a budget. i realize i am goin to need tires battery and fluids but the dealership just charges to much for my budget

·
Registered
29 Posts
WELCOME from Texas.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DOWNLOAD THE SERVICE MANUAL FOR IT!
ENJOY THE BIKE,BUTTON IT UP TIGHT.cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks guys, yea i am in wilmington nc and yes there is a dealership down the road, but i want to keep this on a budget. i realize i am goin to need tires battery and fluids but the dealership just charges to much for my budget
The Wilmington Dealership is usually pretty good, did you get a price quote from them on how much it will cost?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i didnt, i am pretty good about fixing my own mess, but if i cant get it going then i will take it up there. i am pretty confident that there should be no problems. i was supose to pick it up on monday but my buddy with the trailor had to work so sunday ill get it here. i went ahead and picked up a battery, oil, and filters so i am ready to go:D

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
no i didnt, i am pretty good about fixing my own mess, but if i cant get it going then i will take it up there. i am pretty confident that there should be no problems. i was supose to pick it up on monday but my buddy with the trailor had to work so sunday ill get it here. i went ahead and picked up a battery, oil, and filters so i am ready to go:D
Do not forget tires. Rubber loses its elastic properties over time, and an 8 year old tire is not something to hang your life on. If you're only planning to get the motor running, then tires can wait, but just don't get tempted to ride on them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I've got an 03 myself. It's been a blast so far, no major issues as far as the engine goes. In addition to all of the other suggestions, you might also want to empty out any gas in the tank and check the lining really well. I just had to tear my tank apart because the lining was coming off and clogging up the fuel pump and lines. It was a HUGE pain but it's better to get it out of the way before you start riding. I'm not sure if it was the factory lining or not, but better safe than sorry. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i got the bike to the house and this thimg is a mess. it is alot more rusty than i thought it would be. 90 percent of the chrome is rusted beyond repair but its got 2500 miles on it and the tires look good

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
well i got the bike to the house and this thimg is a mess. it is alot more rusty than i thought it would be. 90 percent of the chrome is rusted beyond repair but its got 2500 miles on it and the tires look good
How about going for that all rusty look?

Rusty_Shoveltn_.jpg

IMG_3785rust.jpg

Might be a good time to go for the blacked out look. Still a good deal I think. Can you post some pics of it in the condition it's in. You will want some later for the "before and after" pics anyway. :)
I agree with BBob here. We need pics, and we need them badly. Please post!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts