Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first Victory yesterday!!! I got a used 2011 Cross Country w/ tour pack, i pod connector, mid size windshield, passenger floorboards, & lower fork fairings. Ordered stage one upgrade while I was at the dealership. It replacing my very first bike which I've owned for 3 years. 05 Honda Shadow Aero 750. Did just about everything I could on that bike. Rode from ME to TN last summer and rode the Dragon. Over 3000 mile trip all combined. It was time for something a little bigger. Was looking HD until I went to a Victory Demo and that was it!!!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Bought my first Victory yesterday!!! I got a used 2011 Cross Country w/ tour pack, i pod connector, mid size windshield, passenger floorboards, & lower fork fairings. Ordered stage one upgrade while I was at the dealership. It replacing my very first bike which I've owned for 3 years. 05 Honda Shadow Aero 750. Did just about everything I could on that bike. Rode from ME to TN last summer and rode the Dragon. Over 3000 mile trip all combined. It was time for something a little bigger. Was looking HD until I went to a Victory Demo and that was it!!!!!
Wishing you many happy miles on your new ride. Congrats and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maine

Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of people and lots of information on this site. Glad to see others from Maine here. Congratulations on your new ride.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
cheers. Welcome to the world of Victory Motorcycle. Your life is changed forever.........................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, im new here. i will be going the active duty army on july 10. ive always dreamed of owning a 2008-2012 victory hammer or vegas 8ball. Im 18 years old. I was just looking for some feedback on what I have to expect and if they are all what I think they are. my dad has early 2000's vegas with the 92ci but it has a bunch of goodies and it spanks my uncles 110ci screamin eagle. So i cant imagine what the 106ci is like. Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
396 Posts
my advice would be to go to the victory website
and see when the demo truck will be in your area,
then you can test ride all the models you are intrested
in. and be sure to test ride the high ball it is a blast to ride!
:crzy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
well ive riddin my dads vegas so I really want to ride the hammer. I wish the hammer came with all black wheels with no chrome in them. I really think im going to go with the hammer but i might just buy it new so i can get the factory options. I will be making 1780 a month as a private, living on base, so i really dont have much to pay for except weekend fun. And for a brand new victory hammer 8ball with all the factory options i want it comes to 16,??? and some change. After basic and AIT I will have about 7,500 to 8,500 so a big chunk of a down payment is already there. but even with regular payments its only 278 dollars a month. so im debating on a craigslist bike or a brand new one? more opinions?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
DMC, congrats on the bike but note that for most the Stage 1 is a disappointment. You may be better off seeing if they can install D&D's and remove the rubber silencer strip under the front of the tank. You should be able to do this for the same $$ and you'll get a much better sounding/performing bike.

ARMY, I understand where you are coming from with wanting a new bike but I also understand what Military service does. I highly suggest you wait and see where Uncle Sugar sends you before you buy anything. To put it bluntly it would suck like hell spending a year breathing Kim Chee fumes and wishing you could be riding the bike that's sitting in your parents garage several thousand miles away.

Also keep in mind that if your first post is stateside you may not want to buy a bike from a dealer that is close to the post. I say this because prices near Military installations are almost always higher than they would be 30+ miles away from the installation. This applies to cars/trucks/bikes and is normally caused by the simple fact that there is a young unexperianced (in the art of negotiation) audience that they can sucker. Not only do they have a large group of potential suckers biting at the bit to buy but they also have a group that they are almost guaranteed to get paid from. Don't think you can be in the Military and miss a payment on anything because the vultures have all the local 1st Sgts and/or Sgt Maj. phone numbers on speed dial and will call at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, im ready for that. I have no bill, loans or anything else of the sorts. As for as getting suckered in to deals, i live in maine i can talk anyone down. hahaha. my dad told me to call a guy about a f350 powerstroke for him. The guy wanted 10,000. by the end of the convo i had him down to 6,500. No salesman will fool me. hahahaha I do understand what your saying though dont get me wrong it makes complete sense. As for where im going and what im doing. I am part of 91 bravo (wheeled vehicle recovery and repair) I will have basic and AIT in fort jackson, south carolina. But even my recruiter wasnt sure if i would be staitoned in the U.S or the sand box. But i will try to not get my hopes up as far as that goes. Honesly though is it easier to afford a bike will being in the military??

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
ARMY,
These conversations should be in your intro thread but I couldn't find one so here you go:

Let's start with your recruiter. What he should have done when you signed up for 91B is tell you where in the world you could be stationed. He/she should be able to tell you every unit around the globe that has a requirement for 91B's which would have at least given you a clue. Simply put not every post is going to be available and hopefully the posts that are available are in desireable locations. As far as the sand box goes it isn't really an area where you would be "stationed" per se. It is more of a vacation spot that you have high potential of spending a large amount of your time in.

Now let's go to you. It's a damn good thing that your parents (or lifestyle) have taught you right. If you do in fact have these bargaining abilities you need to share you knowledge with the other troops (we'll call them Jeeps just to save typing) once you get on post. The vultures are looking for new Jeeps and every time a new group shows up they are ready to pounce. The majority of Jeeps of have no clue, responsibility or initiative and will fall prey to a $hitty deal on one or more items at their first post. These Jeeps need to know someone that knows the ropes and you could be that someone.

Now to the bike. Since you are one of the lucky $hits that is going to get an enlistment bonus you can most likely afford to get what you want and be able to keep it. You are also lucky that you're going for a Victory and not another brand (you mentioned it earlier) because Victory is very pro-Military and will most likely give you $1000 in customer cash when you buy. This is a good thing because once you become goverment property you can't legally ride the bike. (Per the UCMJ) without the proper gear (google Military motorcycle requirements) so you are going to have to buy some un-cool stuff. I suggest putting at least 20% down on the bike so you can get low payments. Once you start making payments throw your beer money in with the payments and double them if you can. This will get it paid off early, will boost your credit, and will keep you from getting a boot in your @$$ for an alcohol related incident.

Note that after being raised a Military Brat, spending over 21 years in the USAF, and having a couple of brothers and nephews in the Army I've seen a lot of good and bad people in the Military. I have had to "help" quite a few people with early transitions back to the Civ world and I don't want to see that happen with you. You seem to have you your head on straight so I want to see you succeed. Money and alcohol are the biggest problems with young people in the Military - don't let that be your future.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i love the look of the xc but didnt know how id like looking
over a fairing. never had a bike with one and i hate wind.
had a wide rifle shield w/lower on the vtx. did a real good job.
thats why im looking at the xr.--irv

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Irv, the only way you'll know if the wind or buffeting is going to bother you is to ride one. There's an easy way around the fairing to; buy a XR instead of a XC. Seriously test ride both so you know!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i think i will talk to cee baileys about their w/shield w/lowers.
dont know if they can make one a little wider or not. the
rifle i have on the vtx is 22" wide and with their lowers it did
a great job. they dont make any for victory's--irv

talked to toy at cee baileys. their w/shield w/lowers is 25" wide
for the cross roads

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im in the process of a reno. Im as of right noel a COMSEC repair man. But thats just not me. I just took that job to be apart of the army. Im a gear head not a radio man. Hahahaha. But yes I knowabout the weekend fun and even now im responsible with my money. Shuush! I dont drink :) hehe. But I no about payments and think I can do ok at it. Dog you know the.cheapest way to get a decent junk of power out of these bikes? And how do the 106ci dog stock with just like pipes and intake?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Enjoy and many more miles to come.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts