Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. New to Victory here. Sad too bought a used one and having electrical issues already.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone Super Good With Electrical Systems

Got a weird problem I need some help with

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
I suck at electrical but there are many here who are pretty good. Post your issue and I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Be sure add the model and year of your bike to your sig line and it helps to have your location listed in your profile so it shows up below your name.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you're having problems, but that is one of the pitfalls of buying a used bike. Not everyone is meticulous about taking care of them. The folks on the forum are great about helping where we can!

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Lunchbox i do like your name ... All problems can be solved ... Welcome to the site ....

TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Yup some guys here have some real good electronic knowledge .... Just shoot / make a short movie / pictures / writr-up

TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
nope...but since I shitcanned my old soldering iron and bought a decent one my soldering is acceptable.
Basics I can deal with......

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
well lunchbox spit it out mate, tell us all about it.
the fellas here will sort it out for you one way or another.
whats up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well lunchbox spit it out mate, tell us all about it.
the fellas here will sort it out for you one way or another.
whats up?
Sorry, I was trying to wait and post in the proper forum rather than the intro section. Here's the run-down though:

2006 rebuilt Hammer. Start the bike up and let it idle, no issue. Get around 2K RPMs and the headlight gets super bright like a voltage spike that stays on, and then the check engine light comes on. Checked connections and I'm not spotting anything that looks loose or bad. Replaced the battery this winter/spring. I'm leaning towards the voltage reg but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas or had run across this before.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Sounds like someone tinkered around with the electronics on your bike ....

You can download manual's from this site and run diagnostics .... But specially the electronic drawings state the voltage ...

Any fault readings in your display ?

A diagnostic tool at a big dealer would be helpful for your problem .....

TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Ps ....
Hammer are sooo cool

TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like someone tinkered around with the electronics on your bike ....

TaPaTaLk
For sure he tinkered. I've already had to have the entire back end re-wired. It looked like a 3-year old had gotten under there with duct tape when I got the bike.

The 2006 doesn't throw codes to the display that I know of, that's why I'm having problems identifying the issue.

I may end up taking to the dealer, I was just trying to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am not sure about the Hammer but the XCT service manual has a section for checking out the voltage regulator with a dozen different checks of its performance.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Without knowing the problem, most electrical problems are caused by poor grounds. That should be the first place to start

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
What's the problem? Lot of training on electrical systems and I seem to be an idiot savant on electrical stuff(heavy on the idiot ;) )

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Got a weird problem I need some help with
Don't feel so bad ... I got a few "PROBLEMS" too although in a few cases, there's simply no help for me...... :eek

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's the problem? Lot of training on electrical systems and I seem to be an idiot savant on electrical stuff(heavy on the idiot ;) )

2006 rebuilt Hammer. Start the bike up and let it idle, no issue. Get around 2K RPMs and the headlight gets super bright like a voltage spike that stays on, and then the check engine light comes on. Checked connections and I'm not spotting anything that looks loose or bad. Replaced the battery this winter/spring. I'm leaning towards the voltage reg but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas or had run across this before.

·
12,970 Posts
unplug regulator and see if plug is full of some fluid. Clean plug and put back together.
With a voltmeter attached to battery start bike volts should be 14.2 if over that stator could be bad or regulator

1 - 20 of 37 Posts