Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay; this is the bike everyone expected after all the hype years ago. Of course it has the Indian name on it but it's the Victory a lot of people wanted.

New Indian FTR1200

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck; they even have radiators on dirt bikes. Water cooled is the only way forward for max power. I think of it as a necessary evil. We've had oil-cooled Victory's from day one. I always added oil coolers to my Harley's.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have to say, its much better looking than I was expecting...In fact its one of the best looking new bikes, of any kind, I've seen come out in a awhile.... It certainly slaps that butt-ugly HD FXDR across the headlight.... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has enough power.
No question Ducati makes fine motorcycles and they have managed to do it while keeping them air-cooled to their credit. For most of the world though; water cooling is part of the equation.

I always wanted a Duc but never did get one. Oh well; never say never right!

Maybe I can rent one in Vegas one day or something. Sport bikes aren't really my style but I could spend a half day on one I bet. Probably be sore for a week but it would be worth it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Unfortunately, all the Ducs are now water cooled, mine is a dinosaur 2010. No doubt water cooling is a necessity for maximum output, but radiators always seem to detract from what a motorcycle is for me. I had a Multistrada 1200 and that bike was phenomenal at almost everything, 140 horsepower and a torqueband that took your arms off. The radiator was well integrated and fit the design, too many others look like auto parts thrown on the bike. Just my two pennies.

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, all the Ducs are now water cooled, mine is a dinosaur 2010. No doubt water cooling is a necessity for maximum output, but radiators always seem to detract from what a motorcycle is for me. I had a Multistrada 1200 and that bike was phenomenal at almost everything, 140 horsepower and a torqueband that took your arms off. The radiator was well integrated and fit the design, too many others look like auto parts thrown on the bike. Just my two pennies.
I hear ya. It's far better when the designers take the time to incorporate (read hide) the radiator so it flows with the lines rather than looking like someone bolted an Encyclopedia Britannica sideways to the front sticking out like a sore thumb.

Was your Multistrada something like this?

·
Registered
530 Posts
doesn't look like they strayed too far from the Project 156 Pikes Peak prototype.... funny, there were prolly a lot of Victory fanatics who would have snagged it, but rebadging it as an Indian leaves a sour taste in the mouth...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I hear ya. It's far better when the designers take the time to incorporate (read hide) the radiator so it flows with the lines rather than looking like someone bolted an Encyclopedia Britannica sideways to the front sticking out like a sore thumb.

Was your Multistrada something like this?
That was it. Four riding modes that took both suspension and motor to the track or the trails, an all day comfortable ride. Sure miss it!

·
12,970 Posts
Nope don't like the looks of the mufflers. Should of done shotgun style like the race models have

·
Registered
152 Posts
bc8ball

Love the nostalgic look, hate the radiator. If it was air cooled I would be having a sit on one.

Why on Earth would you want this to be air cooled?

Nostalgia?

I don't understand..

Help me out here .

Sent from my bike doing 80mph

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I like that it doesn't have a lot of body work covering it up. Nice raw look to it. I couldn't ride one that riding position would have me sore very quickly.

Aftermarket will probably make something to go around the radiator to blend it in better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks tiny. At 6'3, I need to stretch out a bit. If I add another bike to the stable, I might go for an Eluder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
bc8ball

Love the nostalgic look, hate the radiator. If it was air cooled I would be having a sit on one.

Why on Earth would you want this to be air cooled?

Nostalgia?

I don't understand..

Help me out here .

Sent from my bike doing 80mph
See post #7. I completely understand the necessity but I just think they look like an afterthought, rarely incorporated into the design of something that is otherwise well put together. I love the simplicity of air cooled and you can still get more than enough performance.

Like a flatty in a 32, it is just the way it should be.:laugh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts