Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy my first victory. Getting a cross country tour. It is a new 13 leftover. I'm picking it up on friday, with a 4 hour ride back home i was wondering if there is something i need to be aware of that is special to these bikes. I'm coming from a honda shadow 1100. Also do ya'll think that $19700 is a good price. It was the best i could find that is after all dealer fees minus taxes since i am buying in a differant state.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Wow, excellent!!!
You are so lucky, I bought a 2014 2 months ago and it is still at the dealers and it looks like another 2 months before the weather improves enough to ride it back.
You will probably have a lot of miles on yours before I even pick mine up.
And I think that is an excellent price. If you are as excited about yours as I am about mine you will love it.
Post pictures when you get it. Maybe throw some snow around it just to tease the rest of us :)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I am about to buy my first victory. Getting a cross country tour. It is a new 13 leftover. I'm picking it up on friday, with a 4 hour ride back home i was wondering if there is something i need to be aware of that is special to these bikes. I'm coming from a honda shadow 1100. Also do ya'll think that $19700 is a good price. It was the best i could find that is after all dealer fees minus taxes since i am buying in a differant state.
Congrats.

Make sure you don't forget about breaking it in (first 500 miles). Do not hit the cruise control on your way home. Instead vary the speed through all gears. If you're taking a highway home, keep taking exits, and re-enter the highway, so you force yourself to decelerate and accelerate through all the gears.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, varying the RPMs for cam break in is about it. Then adjust all the little things like belt, cables, etc. Nothing special.

I bought mine in Nebraska and rode it home to Mississippi. At least changing the oil on these bikes is easy........

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
just reiterating what everyone else said regarding breaking in the bike. The investment of doing it right, will last the life time of the bike. Double check the tire pressure and have them put in the proper rear shock pressure. Also bring an Ipod with you for your 4 hour ride home. As for price, the bottom line is, as long as you are content with what you paid is all that matters. Enjoy the bike.thumb up

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
and don't lug the engine, even though they're a torquey engine they do like to spin
Enjoy!...if you're anything like me you wont want to get off it:)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Good advice already. I did the same thing in March 2012, i.e., I rode my brand new XCT from the dealer -- about 160 miles away -- to my home. Unlike where you live, it was fookin' cold, so I had an adapter (with bigger fuse) for my heated liner, to plug into the dash outlet. In any case:

- Vary the engine speed. There's some break-in upper RPM until (as I recall) 500 miles, and don't lug it (e.g., keep it above 2K if just tooling, and higher if you're going to shift up).

- I'd say you'd be fine if you want to use the cruise in short spurts, and at different RPMs, just to experiment for brief periods. If you do so, note that setting the cruise requires that you press it for a couple of seconds, not just a stab.

- Check the tires before you leave. What do you all say, something like 42 rear and 36 front?

- Speaking of pressure, make sure the rear shock is not at zero, especially if you shop at the big and tall stores. There's a chart in the owner's manual and the right saddlebag.

- One more thing: don't baby it when taking off from a stop. There's a (very handy) neutral assist, which might prevent your going into second. That is, if you took off very timidly and then tried to shift into second too quickly -- at, say, 4 or 5mph -- you'd wind up in neutral. So, make sure you're at, say, 10mph, before shifting up to second.

- And speaking of shifting, the return throw when down-shifting is longer than I expected (and in my early riding, until I figured this out, prevented me from down-shifting a bunch of gears at a time). That is, if you're coming to a stop or otherwise slowing down and will be down-shifting a few gears at a time, make sure you raise your foot very high in between down-shifts, to allow the shift lever to fully return all the way up between each shift.

- If it's cold, don't forget about the heated grips and seat. Finding the heated seat controls is a little difficult, so if you'll be using that make sure you figure out how to do that while sitting on the bike at the dealer's.

- (Edit) Ah, one more thing. (I feel like Columbo, if anyone's old enough to remember that series.) Check out the winglet vs. lowers clearance at the dealer's. See this post, to see what I'm talking about: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12057 .

Other than that, I can't think of any peculiarities for a first ride. Enjoy!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nobody covered this one yet, expect your face to hurt for days from the initial smile that will be stuck for the entire ride home.
Enjoy stay warm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice. I am hoping that this is a touring bike that it will be comfortable for 4 hours. I test rode a cross country but they only took us for 10 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I did 22 hours straight on this baby on the stock seat, one of the better stock seats on the market. You'll be comfortable. Tire pressure for my CCT is 38 front 40 rear. The proper rear shock pressure for your weight is on inside of saddlebag lid ( I'm pretty sure). Take 5 minutes at the dealer and read the owners manual regarding breaking in the bike, you won't regret it. Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts