Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, love my new XC, man what a piece of machinery. Only had it a few weeks, and Friday afternoon I was rear ended while sitting at a stop sign. The bike went skidding on it's side, with me still attached to it, out into oncoming traffic that was going about 60mph. There was another bike in the oncoming traffic, and he must have sped ahead, jumped off his bike in front of me, cause when I looked up, he was waving the cars around us. After the traffic finally stopped, he helped me get my bike up and off the road, and called the police. Cosmetic damage to the bike mostly, I'm beat and banged up a little.
The driver of the car that hit me...no drivers license, no insurance, texting on her cell phone instead of watching where she was going. The guy who risked his butt to help me out...I was too dazed to remember his name. Anyway, those huge crash bars on that sucker kept 800 lbs of motorcycle off my leg, and that heavy @$# steel rear fender did more damage to her car I bet. Tough bike. So, the bike will be in the shop for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident; good to hear you made it mostly uninjured. Too bad the bike had to take all that punishment from an individual who should have never been driving.

Hope you and your bike get back to 100% soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Holy crap! I am glad you are OK! I hope your recovery is quick, and the penalty is severe for that idiot cager!

This scenario is one of my most feared. That's why I have always put a brake light modulator on my previous bikes. I'm paranoid at stoplights and always checking my mirrors to see if the person behind me is going to stop. If they aren't paying attention, I usually flick my brakes to activate the modulator again. I just got my XR but will be putting the Custom Dynamics plate frame with built-in modulator on my bike. I hear it doesn't mess with the cruise control like when you modulate the stock tail light. Maybe something to think about when you and your bike get better.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Dang! That sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your crash - I never use the word accident.
After 58 years of crash free riding, I got hit by an 18 year old girl (yes girl, not woman) using a cell phone that's verboten here in Oregon. She came out of a side street from my left and hit my front wheel, knocking me over pretty hard. You're right about that crash bar doing the job it was designed for. I always carry a camera in car or bike, took many pix at scene. Fortunately, my adversary was insured and when I emailed the pix, the insururer, they took full responsibility. I hope you had collision insurance to cover your repairs. I like your idea about a modulating tail light. I've been putting off adding a pair of Hyperlites to the back of my bike. I think they'll be on her soon. I hope you are thinking of suing that bitch - if she's working,you can go after her paycheck. Where did this happen and is there a cell phone ban in place? If not, I'll help you get one. I was the one to get one put in place in Oregon. Not just cells, but any hand held device. Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Thanks for sharing this with us.

The punishment for driving without a license, insurance, and texting while driving is not harsh enough. When innocent lives are at risk, you come to realize that a ticket is not enough punishment. This is why it happens over and over again. I vote for death by hanging for those who drive without a license, insurance, and cause a crash. This is no accident when someone gets in a car and starts it up knowing they're not supposed to drive it.

I wish you a quick recovery, and hope your bike gets fixed up in no time.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
This is no accident when someone gets in a car and starts it up knowing they're not supposed to drive it.

Hanging? You are too easy going, friend. ;) That is precisely why I never use the word accident in place of wreck or crash. An accident is an unintendended event, like putting your underwear on backwards in the dark. What boils my blood are all the people that go ballistic about guns when they are many times more liable to get whacked by a 3,000 to 5,000 pound rolling killing machine on four wheels. If I were emperor, we would have licensing and driving here like it is in Germany: lengthy, expensive and responsible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, love my new XC, man what a piece of machinery. Only had it a few weeks, and Friday afternoon I was rear ended while sitting at a stop sign. The bike went skidding on it's side, with me still attached to it, out into oncoming traffic that was going about 60mph. There was another bike in the oncoming traffic, and he must have sped ahead, jumped off his bike in front of me, cause when I looked up, he was waving the cars around us. After the traffic finally stopped, he helped me get my bike up and off the road, and called the police. Cosmetic damage to the bike mostly, I'm beat and banged up a little.
The driver of the car that hit me...no drivers license, no insurance, texting on her cell phone instead of watching where she was going. The guy who risked his butt to help me out...I was too dazed to remember his name. Anyway, those huge crash bars on that sucker kept 800 lbs of motorcycle off my leg, and that heavy @$# steel rear fender did more damage to her car I bet. Tough bike. So, the bike will be in the shop for the next few weeks.

I'm also glad to hear you're OK, it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I try to keep an eye on approaching vehicles from behind me when stopped, if I feel someone is coming in too fast I'll start flashing my brake lights, so far I've been lucky as I haven't been in a situation where I needed to take action to get out of my lane. Did you see her coming or were you not looking? As far as your XC, I'm impressed to hear that a hit hard enough to push you out of your lane and into another only caused minor damage!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hanging? You are too easy going, friend. ;) That is precisely why I never use the word accident in place of wreck or crash. An accident is an unintendended event, like putting your underwear on backwards in the dark. What boils my blood are all the people that go ballistic about guns when they are many times more liable to get whacked by a 3,000 to 5,000 pound rolling killing machine on four wheels. If I were emperor, we would have licensing and driving here like it is in Germany: lengthy, expensive and responsible.
I agree.

cowboy78642, keep us posted if you find out what the punishment was for the unlicensed, uninsured, texting while driving idiot.

·
13,002 Posts
When are all sates going to make it hands free. Screw this cell phone talking and driving.
I would have your shop check the frame for being straight.
You have to check every inch of a crashed bike. You just don't know till you get to 90 mph if its right or not.
Very happy your doing good.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Glad you are ok brother...enough to piss off the Pope.....:mad:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad you are OK!!!!! cheers

Me, I would be hiring a lawyer! She took a potentially deadly weapon out in public with no permit and recklessly endangered a persons life. If she would have done this with a gun it would have been a federal offense what is the difference??????

I would be doing all that I can to ensure she spent time in Jail!!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Glad you are OK!!!!! cheers

Me, I would be hiring a lawyer! She took a potentially deadly weapon out in public with no permit and recklessly endangered a persons life. If she would have done this with a gun it would have been a federal offense what is the difference??????

I would be doing all that I can to ensure she spent time in Jail!!!!!
I understand how upset you feel about it, but sending someone to jail for an extended period of time I think is a bit much. It's one thing to punish someone, but to ruin their life .........
I always thought for kids that drink and drive, do stupid stuff like this girl did, they should have to work at a nursing home taking care of head injury patients who are their b/c of recklessness. Let them wipe butts and empt bed pans for a while and see how that affects them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay Cowboy! Definitely something we all fear.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I understand how upset you feel about it, but sending someone to jail for an extended period of time I think is a bit much. It's one thing to punish someone, but to ruin their life .........
I always thought for kids that drink and drive, do stupid stuff like this girl did, they should have to work at a nursing home taking care of head injury patients who are their b/c of recklessness. Let them wipe butts and empt bed pans for a while and see how that affects them.
Nice idea, but would you trust your life in that idiot's hands? She'd be busy texting while you're drowning in your bath. The jail time gives those who haven't committed the crime yet a good reason not to try it in the first place. You don't want to ruin their life, but if there's no real consequence to this, then why would we be surprised it even happens? Her parents will pay the ticket and she's learned what from this?

If someone discharged their loaded gun at you while they were busy texting, would you feel any different? I see people driving and picking their nose, texting, yapping on the phone, or doing other things that distract them from driving. Those are the ones that usually swerve into your lane, or forget to stop at a red light, or run you over because they "didn't see you."

Why have to pass a vision test at DMV if you're not required to keep your eyes on the road while driving?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hmmmm never mind the lives they ruin by being stupid! I was brought up being held accountable for my actions and the punishment was always harder then the mistake. Just my two cents! Obviously if our penal code was harsher we would have less crime but that is another debate for another topic and forum. cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sure is scarry--glad to hear you are doing OK. I agree these people that drive without insurance, text, no O.L. should be punished, and severely. The reason for that is if they get off with a slap on the wrist, they WILL do it again. No doubt about it. That shows her wanton disreguard for anyone but HER. If not nipped in the bud now, she will live the rest of her life the same way, and that will affect others that she comes into contact with. This time she is lucky, nobody got killed, this time....
I know it sounds a little harsh, no I was not the idiot but dealt with many for years. Hope you and your scooter get better real soon.
I would hire a lawyer if you can as was posted a bit earlier. You are a victim and somebody needs to stay on her as she goes thru the system, no plea bargain.

Like Ron White says-You can't fix stupid!

·
Registered
52 Posts

I hear what you're saying, but many do not consider texting & talking on the phone while driving to be a big deal. I think the penalties should be equal to that of a DUI offense, only then people will realize the seriousness of their inattention and that it can kill? Unfortunately it will take many more injuries and deaths to get such a law passed imo…

1 - 20 of 50 Posts