Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1 week & 350 miles: The stock handlebars absolutely SUCK bigtime! I am 6' tall with a normal arm reach but always seem to be reaching straight out, very uncomfortable. Ordered the SRVT pullback bars but the blasted things are on back order so I took delivery of the bike to put on the 500 mile break in. Glad I have the backrest to prop myself forward! Gas mileage seems awesome for such a big bike. I am running stage 1 exhaust & got 46mpg (actual) on the first tank. At around 75mph & up, I start noticing a buzz in the floorboards & the right mirror becomes distorted. Is this normal on a XC? After 1 hour in the saddle, started to get a sore butt. Anyone else having issues? The radio & I-pod set up is working awesome. I have excellent reception & the auto volume is super. I am finally getting used to the small foot brake peg, still would like to have a pedal instead. Transmission is smooth as can be & quiet in all gears. Motor is smooth & I am finding some torque now that I can rev her up some now that I have a couple hundred miles on her. I did find out that when riding 2 up, I can't use my backrest as it bothers the wife. I have the tour pack, don't know if she would have more room with the standard passenger backrest? Last thing: Is it just me being a newbie or does anyone else feel the bike is top heavy when riding 2 up? I found it hard to hold a line but think the pullback bars will give me much better control. My dealer suggested getting used to the bike without the tour pack. I have been riding all week 1 up w/o the trunk & love the way she handles now! Next up, I will be having a PC installed at the break in service along with a dyno tune. Coming off a Boulevard 109, I am anxious to get a little more torque on demand.

JOKERMAN
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
528 Posts
yep handle bars suck and so does the seat. Right mirror also vibrates too much.
I contribute a lot the discomfort to the stretched fuel tank. i am sending my seat off in a couple of weeks to get it fitted to me.
The XC does not feel top heavy to me. But I am use the my Ultra and Goldwing with all it's weight, neither is top heavy just heavier than the XC. I think the XC is very well balanced.
You will get use to it in time.

Congrats on the new bike. Take some time and really get use to it or like I say get to know the bike better.

dd

·
Registered
114 Posts
Picky, Picky. Nothing will suit everyone. I for one love my XC. I would like to see a windshield bag area. As for being top heavy. Check your shock air presure, might be too high. All things considered a great bike. Yeah, it could have a little more torque at low end, but you can always choose a Harley (Jap Bike).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Power is okay, Torque is good. Could use a little better throttle response but I am stock. I will get around to some other things latter. Want to get comfortable first.
I do not like loud myself. A little more sound would be good to cover up the whining sound from the primary., but that isn't that bad.
The seat angles you back instead of pushing you into the seat which makes my lower back hurt. After Allen gets through with the seat it will be fine I am sure.
2 inch's more on the handle bars and that should do it. Then I can get a stage 1 kit.
not just picky, just want to be comfortable. I will have time this winter to do what needs to be done. Then come spring, I will be able to ride like what I am use to. Around 3,000 miles a month except on trips which is usually around 5,000.
Got to have it my way ya know.
I have a biketronics 180 watt rms per speaker amp's laying around may have to see what it sounds like on the XC.

A small storage area should not much of a problem. Just use the 2 screws on the dash, have a saddle shop make the bag. May have to look into that.
dd thumb up

·
Registered
243 Posts
Picky, Picky. Nothing will suit everyone. I for one love my XC. I would like to see a windshield bag area. As for being top heavy. Check your shock air presure, might be too high. All things considered a great bike. Yeah, it could have a little more torque at low end, but you can always choose a Harley (Jap Bike).
don't think he was being picky, he was just giving his impressions of hte bike and wanting to know if we were having the same problems. Maybe you need to get your bigi boy droars on and not feel the need to knock others post!

·
Registered
243 Posts
The problem is the back rest and not the seat. when you ride with the back rest no mater how you try and fix the back rest it doesnt allow you to sit at the back of the seat and puts your pelvis in an anterior tilt and you are closer to the tank and very little support under you. when you ride w/out the back rest you are able to sit at the back of the seat, your pelvis is in an posterior tilt and you have much more support under you making the riding position much more comfortable. w/out the back rest I can ride for hours, with it i'm looking to get off the bike w/in an hour. sorry about the grammar, i'm watching a football game and typing this at the same time.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
My demo's of the 2011 XC is not favorable. Basically I would buy a Kingpin and customize it before buying an Xbike. Thats how unimpressed and disappointed I was with it and I am a huge Victory cheerleader but I think Victory's noise and vibration for the X bikes is terrible.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Intake or exhaust work....Many of the aftermarket pipes need a controller as the tech's don't always take their time trying to tune it right after instillation.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Intake or exhaust work....Many of the aftermarket pipes need a controller as the tech's don't always take their time trying to tune it right after instillation.
No!! That is not the best, performance and or economical advice.

If your bike is not running correctly take it to a GOOD dealer and tech.

Now if you are planning on an intake and going into the engine later than the tuner would be a good investment now.

I say again, you don't NEED a tuner at this stage of your modifications. The dealer should be able to tune it as good as a tuner.

Too many riders from other brands of bikes, have "TUNER" stuck in their heads. They don't realize that a Victory mechanic can tune better or as good as a tuner.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My demo's of the 2011 XC is not favorable. Basically I would buy a Kingpin and customize it before buying an Xbike. Thats how unimpressed and disappointed I was with it and I am a huge Victory cheerleader but I think Victory's noise and vibration for the X bikes is terrible.
I don't no, I'm big enough to admit that I may be wrong; I have a 2010 XC and love it. However, I don't know a thing about the 2011. Is there a big differance? I understand that the 2011 comes standard with a Stage one Kit, is that just hype or am I experancing operator head space again? What do you think about the new 2011as compared to the 2010? Thanks for your input and I do believe in making the bike "Yours" through modification. It just seems that many people seem to be too picky.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Here is my review. I posted here but can't find it.

Angel and I went to the Santa Rosa Vee Twin Fuel It demo day yesterday September 10, 2010. We were itching to try the Cross Country.

I road Porti with Angel in tow. It was a beautiful morning for a one way 140 mile ride. I get to SRVT and my damn front Metzler developed a foot long bubble just as I exited the freeway!! SRVT had a Dunlop E3 in stock and hooked a Vic rider up!! The tire had plenty of tread. That’s for another review.

We got there and SRVT had the spread for everyone.

There was a ride in progress but there was a 2010 XC white with gold trim and a trunk and high windshield with lowers waiting for a ride. THAT was the bike Angel and I were going to demo.

We signed all the paperwork and about 30 minutes later we were on our way for a 14 mile ride. The ride consisted of twisties, sweepers and 55+ speeds.

First the good.

Buffeting? I didn’t notice any at all. Maybe it was the combination of the high windshield and lowers and that I ride with no wind protection on Porti.

The stereo was great. No problems hearing it at all and the auto volume adjustment worked perfect.

Seats were comfortable as all giddy up.

The trunk was HUGE!!!

The trunk looks really good and flows with the X bike lines.

The big floor boards are fantastic for finding a place for your feet.

Stereo and cruise controls are placed very conveniently for thumb operation.

Angel said at least 10 times during the ride that she could easily fall asleep on the XC it was so comfortable. She also wanted me to trade Porti for it. YEAH RIGHT!!! That is the only time in 4 years I ever thought of giving her the boot!! LMAO

Now the bad. X bike owners, this is my personal review and I am not trying to put down your choice of bike. Maybe the one I road was a Monday morning build.

Those stock bars SUCK!!!! I am 5’9, 5’10 on a good day. My shoulder blades were sore from reaching so far forward. WTF was Victory thinking? One guy riding one of the other XC’s was 6’0 and he said he had to reach for the bars.

That drive train is absolutely noisy as hell. It truly sounded like the drive train was coming apart or had not been put together correctly. I road a pre production Vision in 2007 and I KNOW that it was a LOT quieter than this XC I demoed.

Why isn't there a heel toe shifter standard on this bike?

The bike shook and vibrated terribly under acceleration and cruise.

No low end grunt at all.

We bottomed out coming out of the SRVT driveway so bad it scraped the rear fender! Maybe they didn't put air in the shock?

The bikes exhaust sound is almost comical it sounds so bad. Kind of a cartoon, putt, putt, putt, sound.

When we got off the bike Angel said the bike needs an exhaust and it needs to be black of course.

Back to the shaking, vibrating and drive train noise. I felt like the bike may have been a pre production bike or a cheap bike you would buy instead of a quality bike that is more expensive. Although the pre production Vision I road in 2007 was much better sounding and feeling than this XC.

Angel had what I felt was the perfect description of the drive train and exhaust sound. She said, the bike sounded and felt raggedy!!

I truly hope this one was a bad build. I didn’t have time to demo the other X bike. I am going to the Delta Power Sports Fuel it tour and Demo the blue XC.

UPDATE RIDE REVIEW​
one week later

I Ok, I got a chance to run down to Delta Powersports for their Fuel It tour demo day. I took out the blue XC (they are 2011’s). There were no lowers and it had the short windshield.

The Victory Rep (not the truck driver) came up to me and started talking about Porti. He remembered me from SRVT and asked how I liked the XC I demoed at SRVT. I told him everything I said in my review.

He then said they realized after a LOT of complaints about the white XC that the shock had NO air in it and the bike is a pre production version.

With that in mind I saddled up on the blue XC. The ride was a fantastic demo route on streets, twisties and high speed 70+ mph highway.

The drive train on this bike was much better BUT no wheres near as smooth as Porti. Still NOISY!! There were no sounds like pieces of the engine were loose inside. There was still no low end but then again that’s how the bike is set up. Cams will remedy that. The exhaust sound is still comically, putt, putt putt. A new exhaust should take care of that.

OH……MY……GAWD!!! The buffeting on this thing was absolutely horrific!!! I took this bike up to 90mph and I honestly thought my glasses, helmet and head were going to come off. My vision was so blurred from the buffeting it literally scared me. Below 60 she was ok. The stereo is worthless due to the buffeting. The tall windshield and lowers on the white XC definitely make a huge difference.

You have buffeting? Get the windshield and the lowers!!! OR you can lay down on the tank ala crotch rocket and it will eliminate it. LOL But I am serious I tried it.

Add a tall windshield, lowers, cams and an exhaust and I think it can be an awesome bike.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is no perfect bike. I am also in belief that 1 must take things in their own hands to get any bike to fit them correctly.
It also takes time to get to know any bike. I mean the feel of it.
My 11 XC is something very different from what bikes that I have been riding the last several years. Exhaust sucks on the XC, Longer bars is something I am considering. I am using the Victory back rest but I also have a mustang back rest. I prefer the mustang backrest. It is straight instead of being angled forward.

It will not take mush to get the XC comfortable I do not think.
I am using a +4 recurve/flip windscreen and it is almost perfect for me. A +3 would have been perfect. No wind noise or buffeting.

thanks for the review

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with the buffeting, I now have the lowers and 16 inch shield. With that arrangement the buffeting is pretty much eliminated up to 75 mph. AFter that I guess the 16 inch shiled is pushing the air down and more of it gets to me. If I were a dealer who was deom'ing the bike there's no way I would put that thing on the road stock. With the buffeting issues this bike has ; stock should come wiht lowers and a 15 inch shield. I wonder how many sales have been lost by demo rides with no lowers and a 9 inch shield?
DD if you have the back rest from Victory..........take it apart and put the angle backwards and it will fit better. It still wont allow you to sit in the seat like it should but it will be better.

·
Registered
146 Posts
+1 on the "unimpressed and disaoppointed".... I just did the demo rides at All Ohio Motorsports (cleveland - great folks) and was left with a lot to be desired. I rode the following:
1) XC with taller windscreen and trunk. Awesome bike and handles much better than imagined.
2) XC with standard windsheild w/no truck. Same ride.

take-away: Buffeting was so bad I felt like my head was in a dryer at highway speed of just 65mph!!!

3) Rode the 2011 hammer with stage 2 and 2:1 pipe... the badass bike your mama warned you about... loved it... I am biased towards hammers!!
4) 2011 Vision 8-ball: (side note: they took the tipover gaurds away in the 8-ball for the 2011's)... rode like a dream, handles flawlessly and no wind impact or buffeting!!!

Vision 8-ball is my next bike or the addition to my stable... XC isn't for me... wasn't very impressed... vision handled just as good in torque/power and felt like I was completely protected from elements and "washing machine feeling" at highway speeds......

cheers

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I agree with the buffeting, I now have the lowers and 16 inch shield. With that arrangement the buffeting is pretty much eliminated up to 75 mph. AFter that I guess the 16 inch shiled is pushing the air down and more of it gets to me. If I were a dealer who was deom'ing the bike there's no way I would put that thing on the road stock. With the buffeting issues this bike has ; stock should come wiht lowers and a 15 inch shield. I wonder how many sales have been lost by demo rides with no lowers and a 9 inch shield?
DD if you have the back rest from Victory..........take it apart and put the angle backwards and it will fit better. It still wont allow you to sit in the seat like it should but it will be better.
Here is the bad thing. It wasn't the DEALER it was VICTORY. The bikes I demoed are a part of the Fuel It tour!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
right on....

don't think he was being picky, he was just giving his impressions of hte bike and wanting to know if we were having the same problems. Maybe you need to get your bigi boy droars on and not feel the need to knock others post!
Yes, I am not trying to knock the ride, just sharing & wanting to know what to expect. Lot's of comments on the backrest, but without it I would be very unhappy. I have a bad back and it helps a bunch. The highway pegs are a big comfort item as well. True, there is no perfect bike but I am convinced this is about as close as it get's for me. Also, I have the 17" Cee Bailey w/s. I look thru the glass but have no head buffeting at all. The only negative is a little headlite glare across the middle at night. I am having lowers installed soon & that should take care of any remaining buffeting, maybe alter the headlite glare as well? I will post pic's after the bars & other goodies get installed.
Vic riders ROCK!
thumb up

JOKERMAN

·
Registered
528 Posts
The XC is basically for taller folks. I am 5'7" so I fall in the shorter folks area. The stretched tank and the seat design causes problems for me. The back rest helps some but not a solution. The BR sits too high to help my lower back much. I will be trying the +2 bars this winter and have the seat fitted to me.
Distant riding will have to wait until next spring. I ride my Goldwing during the cooler/colder months. Better protection ya know.

The ride isn't that bad, it can just be better

just a thought

dd

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
diamondrmp, thank you for this review. I found it helpful and insightful, especially with my demo tour coming up at the end of the month.

I do get a feeling though that you'll never find a better bike than your Porti. :) That being said, I appreciated your analysis of both good and bad from your point of view.

I guess there's no perfect bike out there - My question to you is: Have you ridden a better bagger? I'm asking as I'm set to get my Cross Roads in a few months, and while I thought I had found the bike for me, you've taken some wind out of my sails.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts