Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Black tour last week. Its a very nice bike I'm trying hard not to dump it. It feels very unstable in traffic and parking lots. Not what I was expecting. Im used to a cruiser that I could zip around like nothing.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Look up two web sites; Ride Like A Pro and go on to Youtube and look up Capt. Crash videos. Both have tutorials regarding low speed handling/maneuvers. Get yourself a Ride Like A Pro DVD and practice, practice, practice.
While you are on Youtube, look up Victory police bikes and watch them outmaneuver H-Ds and BMWs. Then come back and tell us how unstable these bikes are. Not!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watched all the vids last week lol The more I ride it the better it feels. I think the trunk has something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
:I agree:

Practice in an empty parking lot, away from any 4-wheelers and don't ever look down. Only look where you want to go, rear brake only...apply gentle pressure.

Just wait till you pack that tour pack chock full of gear and you have a passenger...:D

p.s. Congrats on the new XCT!

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Great advice Red...look where you want your bike to be. The problem with a top trunk is it is in the worst possible location for bike handling; above and behind the rear axle. It is acting like a pendulum, fighting direction changes.
When loading it for a tour, have only very light weight things up there, like gear for weather changes. That way, you can access it easily and rapidly. The voice of experience.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Trunk makes diddly in difference in handling.Perhaps I've ridden with one long enough to not notice it.

Victory engineers felt the need to place the rider too far behind the center of the bike. I guess if you ride leaned forward, and it is hard not to, it compensates somewhat. I didn't care for the lean so got my seat to move me a couple inches forward. I did it for comfort, but got a whole new bike out of it. It became instantly responsive and almost too agile. I have had my head jump rapidly to the left after the delivery of a right hook from the wife. With a pillion, it was a beast. New seat, no pillion problem. Handle bars became more comfortable and I could sit up. I don't have the reach the designers evidently have, or ride like they think I should.

Look where you want to go, check out the mentioned videos, find a parking lot and practice. If you ride 2 up, remember the passenger. It takes some effort to get cozy with any new ride so don't be afraid to experiment.

Congrats and enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree on the center of gravity. I noticed already that if Im very close to the tank it handles better. I need to get a tank bra. To be completely honest I test drove the Indian Cheiftan and the XCT. I was liking the Indian but once my wife sat on the Victory that was it. She couldnt stop taking about how comfy it was. You know what that means lol

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
You haven't ridden a bike with a high center of gravity until you've ridden a Suzuki Cavalcade. The battery was in the fairing...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
Go from a Royal Star Venture and it will seem like a very low center of gravity. :)

It took me about 2-3 days of riding to get used to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts