Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long time coming and I'll be picking up my new RED '12 XCT tomorrow. I've been waiting for the sale process since mid Feb and as of this afternoon the last 2 parts are in and on. So now it's up to the weatherman and despite his known unreliability Saturday is looking pretty good.

Been riding over 30 years and am coming to the XCT from a VTX1800R decked in Interstate livery. We've put 98k miles on the VTX since '07 so it was time to let her rest a bit. Hopefully the XCT and VTX can get along sharing the garage for awhile.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Congrats man! Great bike. I have an uncle in South Bend. You close? You're both a long ways from Oregon....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Ok , me too. Red '12 Cross Tour.
Here's a couple of things you have to deal with RFN.
Post again on this thread. Two posts in the intro thread is a trigger that lets you post elsewhere on this site. The mods will tell you it's a way to control spammers but they are just messing wit you. They do that to watch you squirm. Just do the second post and don't give them the satisfaction. Life is too short to be played like a cheap ukelele by motorcycle board moderators.
Also , if you don't put what bike you own in your sig line, there's a group of vigilantes on this board that will come to your house and eat all your guacamole while you sleep and then when you have just about gotten over it, they will remind you of how creamy and delicious it was and all the memories come flooding back again. It's frightening and take it from someone who has been there and lived to tell the tale, just cave to the pressure early and do what they say. FOR GAWD SAKE MAN, DO WHAT THEY SAY!

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Welcome aboard, what part of IN are you from? I'm in Evansville.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! cheers

Just got back and have 239 fresh miles on my scoot I picked up with ONE mile! (my first BRAND NEW vehicle in 30 years of driving) One more good riding day and it'll be ready for it's first service! That's a fair familiarization ride and though the seating position is different than I'm used to. It was a pleasant trip despite the temp being only 42-44 for the first couple hours so the heated grips/seat got a work out.

For Pop, and especially for the guacamole (which I will barely share with my missus) I will update my signature as soon as I can find it in the CP! I am glad to know, though, that it's only vigilantes that will visit and not flying monkeys! I really don't like flying monkeys.... :D

BThomas I am in Bainbridge which is roughly 40 miles due west of Indianapolis. South Bend is 3+ hours north. I was close today though as I ran up I-69 to pick up the new scoot in Coldwater, Michigan... My little brother is actually over in your neck of the woods - Seattle.

:ride:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congrats on a great bike, I also had one mile on mine when I picked her up.

I just took her out of winter storage Friday and rode today as it was about 70° out, man it felt so good.

You may want a good backrest, Utopia makes a good one, I purchased the standard width and height that they sell and love it as I'm 6' tall and a very broad shouldered so it fits me fine. Others like the one that isn't so tall but you have to tell them that when ordering.

It's very adjustable so it really helps out if you find that the stock seat is a little uncomfortable on your tailbone on longer rides.

Don't know about flying monkeys, but I've seen this guy around here......

Anyways enjoy and ride safe. cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on a great bike, I also had one mile on mine when I picked her up.

I just took her out of winter storage Friday and rode today as it was about 70° out, man it felt so good.

You may want a good backrest, Utopia makes a good one, I purchased the standard width and height that they sell and love it as I'm 6' tall and a very broad shouldered so it fits me fine. Others like the one that isn't so tall but you have to tell them that when ordering.

It's very adjustable so it really helps out if you find that the stock seat is a little uncomfortable on your tailbone on longer rides.

Anyways enjoy and ride safe. cheers
Hey Six - I had the OE backrest dropped on before I picked it up. I got that and black ceramic Bassani cans w/tune & filter. The Missus got arm rests, grab handles and (most important!!!) SCUFF PADS!

I can't believe I forgot to take a snapshot of the 1mile on the odo... :(

But it's home! :pepper:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to be sure there wasn't going to be any problems I popped into the garage to check how they were getting along...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Just to be sure there wasn't going to be any problems I popped into the garage to check how they were getting along...

LOL!, I see you've been to the darkside!

Does she like those armrests? Are they easy to add remove?

Don't forget to look at Blue Thunder in the Blue thunder Garage link below, nice scoot!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL!, I see you've been to the darkside!

Does she like those armrests? Are they easy to add remove?

Don't forget to look at Blue Thunder in the Blue thunder Garage link below, nice scoot!
I went to the darkside in 09, or 60k ago, and just put the 4th tire on the VTX in the fall.

I was looking through Blue Thunder's pictures - beautiful blue btw - and wondered how you liked the highway pegs? I'm going to have to add some but not sure between those or the Kuryakyn.

I had the dealer install the armrests so don't know how hard they are to put on - After I accidentally rolled, as in end over end, one of my VTX hardbags across the garage concrete a few months ago I decided I was not to be trusted with the XCT just yet. :eek:

I've not even really played with the arm rests (or anything else) other than the swing them back and forth and go "huh..". They do have a detent that holds them in position so they're not just swinging around. The Missus spent all of 10 minutes in the back seat and thought they were good.

So SixShooter45 what's your namesake? A Vaquero and an EMF Hartford 1873 here... Sunday plinkers and woods hoglegs....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It takes about five minutes to put the armrests on the first time. Takes about two minutes to take them off and on after that. Learning curve dontcha know.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just picked up my 2013 Cross Country Tour and road it 800 miles back home. It was a great ride but a bit cold. Good thing had a lot of experience riding. Riding when it is snowing can really rattle your nerves if your not ready, but I was really happy when I got it in my garage.:crzy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just picked up my 2013 Cross Country Tour and road it 800 miles back home. It was a great ride but a bit cold. Good thing had a lot of experience riding. Riding when it is snowing can really rattle your nerves if your not ready, but I was really happy when I got it in my garage.:crzy:
Ah, but it's a much more interesting story than riding home in perfect conditions! :D

The last time I bought a bike in February was an FJ1200 1988 and I rode it home in sleet. But it was only 20 miles :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I went to the darkside in 09, or 60k ago, and just put the 4th tire on the VTX in the fall.

I was looking through Blue Thunder's pictures - beautiful blue btw - and wondered how you liked the highway pegs? I'm going to have to add some but not sure between those or the Kuryakyn.

I had the dealer install the armrests so don't know how hard they are to put on - After I accidentally rolled, as in end over end, one of my VTX hardbags across the garage concrete a few months ago I decided I was not to be trusted with the XCT just yet. :eek:

I've not even really played with the arm rests (or anything else) other than the swing them back and forth and go "huh..". They do have a detent that holds them in position so they're not just swinging around. The Missus spent all of 10 minutes in the back seat and thought they were good.

So SixShooter45 what's your namesake? A Vaquero and an EMF Hartford 1873 here... Sunday plinkers and woods hoglegs....
Thanks for the feedback on the arm rests.

Ruger Vaquero .45, orignal model, lots of target shooting and woods excursions.

Highly figured Book Matched Curly Walnut grips and lots of extras done to the revolver.

Highly Figured Curly Walnut #503a.jpg

Highly Figured Curly Walnut #503c.jpg

Highly Figured Curly Walnut #503e.jpg

503b.jpg

503d.jpg

I love the highway pegs from Victory. I mounted them myself and never had them scrape when they're down which was an inital concern of mine. I suppose if I was riding some hard curves they could hit but I'd have my feet on the floorboards for better control so they'd be up anyway. Very comfortable for me at 6'0" and 30" inseam. I can rest my feet half way on the hinge and half way on the peg, (very comfortable), or all the way out on the peg which is a little bit of a stretch but I do stretches so no big deal for me.

Sometimes I ride with my heel on the floorboards and the front of my foot pointed outwards resting on the pegs which is also very comfortable or just stick my foot over them resting my ankle on them.

They stay up well and are easy to fold out or pick up once you adjust them properly, it just takes a few tries to get them just right.

They are heavily chromed and look great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts