Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First leg of the trip today, 450 miles to Bangor Maine.
Rode the first 4 hours on secondary roads but then we realized that we were way behind schedule, so onto the interstate:mad:
Cranked out many hours on the interstate, 11.5 hours after we left this morning we were in Bangor. With a Sportster in the group we had to stop every 75 miles for gas. That killed our schedule. Everybodies bike ran great.
Rain forecast for tomorrow, 400 miles to our motel on Nova Scotia.
View attachment 146402

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks for the update. Have fun (although I'd have to get my head around those 75-mile stops).

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
75 miles not very far , poor fella on a sportster , he must be in constant pain after the first couple hundred miles .... More pictures too please !cheers

·
13,262 Posts
sporty should go farther than 75 miles. Buy him a big bottle of Advil
for sure he is one tuff rider.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Summer of 2012, I road from Boston to Bangor, then to St. John NB, took the ferry over to Digby NS. Hit Halifax for a couple days then up over the Cabot Trail and back. It was absolutely awesome. I picked up a book that was all about motorcycling NS and it was an great help. Very nice people and roads. I hear the Wharf Rat Rally in Digby is an absolute must for any bike rider.

Enjoy and ride safely. Everyone told me to "watch out for moose" but I never saw a single one. :(

steviej

·
Registered
20 Posts
The wife and I spent 35 days touring N.E. and into Canada. Spent 6 days in Main. We never saw a moose. The only wildlife we saw was Alvin the Chimp monk. Must say the north east is beautiful compared to what we see in Fla.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Day 2, left Bangor at 8am at 58 degrees, took rte 9 through some really desolate country. The sportster was sniffing fumes by the time we got to civilization. It started raining on us after a couple hours, then it got cold. Finally to the border about 1 after stopping for brunch.
The highways are absolutely beautiful up here. The sun popped out and the rain gear came off. 74 degrees in Canada. It's a long run to Antigonish, arrived here at 8:30 our time, 9:30 up here (no daylight savings) 421 miles today.
The Ultimate seat saved my ass, it was super comfy
The bugs on the other hand are more than a meal and my new shorter windvest didn't do a lot to stop them.
Got some pics in my iPhone but I'm updating this from my iPad and the pics haven't synced yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never saw any moose
One hawk all day

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Looks like a great ride :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Cabot Trail

Not us Houlton,
We were in Cape Briten all day yesterday riding the Cabot Trail
Left the motel around 9am. It's about 90 minutes to the trail. At 9:15 we pulled over to put our rain gear on:mad:
A misty drizzle was pretty steady all morning. At 10am the Road King in our group broke down with a broken shifter rod. 30 minutes later we had it back on the road using a pair of vise grip, tape and zip ties.
Both HD's in the group were running terrible, we suspect the rain. The Sportster was sucking fuel. We were lucky to get 70 miles out of it.
Finally on the trail about 11:30. We took the south route which puts the water on our right for the better views. The first 20-30 kilometers were nice, roads were smooth, wet but smooth. Then we hit a construction zone, trimming trees. The waits were long enough to shut down the bikes. The roads turn rough, really rough, bone jarring rough, for about 50 kilometers. The ride was at a decent pace considering the rain, we were running about 80kmh. Not fast enough for the locals or delivery trucks they would pass us on solid lines by only straddling the center lines, a little unnerving.
The Road King started running rich, smoking like a locomotive while under load. Stopped for gas and new plugs. Gas is few and far between on the trail when you are getting 70 miles per tank. Finally got to the Park around 2:30. More gas.
Unfortunately we only got as far as the Coatal Restaurant. The Sportster wouldn't make it to the next gas and the Road King was running terrible, plus we were losing light, it was now 4pm and 15 minute break in the rain. We headed back out the way we came in. Then more rain came. The paced slowed to a crawl. The Sportster was well into reserve by the time we could get to some pumps.
Maybe my brother and I will give it a go today and see if we can make it around the trail. His F6B and the Vic ran great. View attachment 146714

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Day 4

Well my brother and I made a run at the Cabot Trail today, had to leave the HD's behind. There was no way we could ride the 1 1/2 hours to the trail and then the 5-6 hours around it with them. Started with a light rain, we decided to take the north route (clockwise). The trail was absolutely beautiful, breath taking views, the roads in the north were in good shape. The sun even came out a few times. We left the motel at 10am and got back at 7pm. This ride should definitely be on your bucket list.
View attachment 146906
As we came around the south side of the trail we decide to work the sides of the tires, with no cars in front of us we had 20 minutes of working the curves and steep hills. It was great. There is no room for forgiveness on those roads. White line, guard rail then a 1000 foot drop to the ocean :crzy: of course it wouldn't be Nova Scotia if didn't hit a hard rain on the ride out of the park. Kinda getting used to the rain now:(

·
Registered
682 Posts
Very good write up, sounds like a pretty fun trip! Keep us updated on it

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First beautiful day for riding all week. Headed home at 8:30 got into Maine and the Vic died, just quit, stalled while coming to a stop light and that was all she wrote. When you flip the kill switch, nothing, no sound that the injectors are being pressurized. The engine cranks but nothing. A $475 tow to the nearest Victory dealer in Orono Maine and 5 hours later. I'll find out in the morning if they can fix it.:mad:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Big shout out to Friend And Friend Polaris in Orono Maine. They started working on my bike at 9 am, as soon as they opened. Sure enough the fuel pump was bad. They had 2 in stock and had the rig back together in 2 hours. Ma Vic on the other hand took 3 1/2 hours to approve the work under my extended warranty. 5 1/2 hours is a long time when your waiting to get back on the road. Bike ran great, unfortunately our ride down US 1 was cut short, tried to make up time by taking I95 south :( hit traffic in Mass, stop and go traffic jam in 92 degree heat. Wow, that was fun. Then t-storms, then the cruise control quit. All in all not a bad trip :rolleyes:
Need to fix the cruise now, oh yeah and the left saddlebag lid flew open on 95 when I passed a logging truck, that's one way to make extra room in the bag. If anybody comes across my under armor hoody can I get it back?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Big shout out to Friend And Friend Polaris in Orono Maine. They started working on my bike at 9 am, as soon as they opened. Sure enough the fuel pump was bad. They had 2 in stock and had the rig back together in 2 hours. Ma Vic on the other hand took 3 1/2 hours to approve the work under my extended warranty. 5 1/2 hours is a long time when your waiting to get back on the road. Bike ran great, unfortunately our ride down US 1 was cut short, tried to make up time by taking I95 south :( hit traffic in Mass, stop and go traffic jam in 92 degree heat. Wow, that was fun. Then t-storms, then the cruise control quit. All in all not a bad trip :rolleyes:
Need to fix the cruise now, oh yeah and the left saddlebag lid flew open on 95 when I passed a logging truck, that's one way to make extra room in the bag. If anybody comes across my under armor hoody can I get it back?
I thought these bikes were reliable. Go figure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts