Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought home 05 kingpin today, and have a couple of questions. Do the handlebars have play in them. and will the engine light come on when stuck in gridlock for 30 min. The kingpin rides realy nice. I could not have made a better choice in a bike,

·
Registered
120 Posts
bar risers are bolted through rubber bushings. so they seem like they have play in them.

·
13,048 Posts
it should take force to move the bars and they will move very little.

Red light coming on check oil level.
Use a 10 mm wrench and see if the battery bolts are tight. Vic's are noted for battery bolts to loosen up. If you have 1/4" lock washers put one on each bolt to prevent this.
Did you by bike from dealer.
Read owners book so you know more about your bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
subscribed. I have an 04 KP that I have only had a few months, and have only ridden 2500 miles. So I have a lot to learn.

My handlebars do not noticeably move. I did not realized they were mounted in rubber; the mounts appear solid (not sure in what respects my '04 differs from the '05.)

I have not been stuck in traffic, but it could either be electronics heating up or oil heating up and thinning. Have you changed the oil?

·
Registered
120 Posts
interesting that you guys aren't seeing movement in your bars? I noticed that my brothers bike with aftermarket bars didn't move like mine do, after taking everything apart it seems to depend on the bar or riser design. his bars seemed to have more of a relief where they bolt up to the trees than my stock risers, that design created a closer fitment to the tree and eliminated almost all of the movement.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a little fore/aft play in the bars on my '05 Kingpin. They are rubber mounted ( I don't know if that feature was unique to the deluxe or on all Kingpins) and it does make for noticeably less buzz in the grips than my old Suzuki had.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Have a 07 KP Tour with Rubber Mount Handlebars and while they have a little Flexibility wouldn't call it Play in the Handlebars .. Definitely check the Battery the KP Battery is a Piece of Cake compared to some Models just pop the cover and have direct access ..

·
13,048 Posts
basically bars should not move period unless your putting a lot of effort on them.
Bigger bars like heave apes will cause movement and your need to firm them up with new rubber or a urethane bushing. There is not help for metal grips.

Have you found any thing out on your check engine light

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just brought home 05 kingpin today, and have a couple of questions. Do the handlebars have play in them. and will the engine light come on when stuck in gridlock for 30 min. The kingpin rides realy nice. I could not have made a better choice in a bike,
FYI, if you go to Vic's website armed w/your VIN, you can register as the new owner and then download your owner's manual.thumb up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After checking the battery the negative terminal was loose, I took it to my local victory dealer for a compleat sevice. she runs like a champ. The only thing I do not like is how it handles with the windshield. She starts to wobble at 70 mph and dose not with it off. i had the wheel and steering bearings checked. tier pressure was good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My '04 handles very well at speeds of up to 105 mph (on a track of course) with the saddle bags, sissy bar, and windshield.

Checking tire pressure first was a good move. As is fork bearings and wheel bearings.

You might get the frame mapping done, and see if that shows a problem.
Try these folks:
http://gmdatl.com/services.htm

They were recommended by some folks on another thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It might, and it might not - but there is some underlying issue that is causing your instability; It should be stable with a windshield on it.

If you want a fairing, go buy one.
If you want to fix the wobble, work on that.

There are many folks who have had instability issues with radial tires on the kingpin (you can search the threads) but there are some that have good luck with the radials and swear by them. I stuck with the bias tires simply to avoid the potential issue.

Sorry you are having issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts