Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, my name is Bill and I'm an...(sorry, wrong meeting)...

New rider, 63, and decided that since I no longer have hair, the wind won't be an issue.

I am taking up riding, looked at what was available, and fell in love with a few of the bikes in the Victory line. I am 5'11" and average weight, arm and foot length. My issue, though, is that I will be living in Belize. Most of my rides will be for fun, and not much longer than 15 miles or so for errands and on the way to some beach bar. I will use the bike to go from town to town, with a max of 85 miles, most likely. It's not a big country.....

I would like to get it moded up before I leave, and have been looking at what most of you do to yours. Please give any suggestions that will increase power and torque, but not at the expense of HP.

All of the main roads (less than 30)in Belize are paved, and they all have issues, but I will be sticking to those for the most part on my runs. There are also a lot of good hardpan sand and dirt roads, which will get use as well. I will be riding by myself, and will not use this for overnighting or long cruises.

I would like to get a new or demo Vic to cut down on potential problems down the road, but realize that the warranty will not transfer out of country, as there are no Vic dealers. I am a pretty good shade-tree mechanic, and parts would be available to be shipped out of either Houston or Miami.

The biggest question that I have is: What is the right bike? I like classic, old-school lines. With not great roads, should I be looking for something with wide tires? Do I need to worry about scraping the frame? I would prefer to get a cruiser and buy a quick-release windscreen and bags, as this will be for fun, not for travel with clothing, etc. Love the looks of the Pin (quite a few left over from the last year with no miles), Boardwalk and the XR Classic. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks-

Bill

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Boardwalk and XR are all very good choices and not hard to find new. KP was discontinued and replaced by the Boardwalk so finding a new KP or a used Boardwalk may take time.

Either way you're probably never going to have to do anything but change oil and swap a battery with as few miles as you're going to accumulate annually.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Bill,
At the risk of getting pelted by a dozen or so forum members, I strongly suggest you consider a brand that has dealer representation in Belize. You may be good with tools, but there will come a time when you will need what only a dealer has to offer. Having said that, I have never been back to mine except for the first service and that was over 12,000 miles ago. Yes, Victorys are extremely reliable, but so are Hondas and some others. Speaking of Honda, their new NC700s would be a nice island bike. Or maybe they still sell the NT700V (aka Deauville) in Belize - that has a shaft drive, a lot better for those unpaved roads. Bikes with belt drive aren't a good choice if you intend to ride on dirt or gravel roads.
I (and many others on this forum) hope that you have taken a rider training course. If not, its extremely important that you do so before buying a bike. There's far more to operating a bike (and surviving) than you can ever imagine.
I hope yours wasn't one of the houses involved in that landslide.
Ric

·
12,984 Posts
Give us a break what models do you like?

Bald heads get sun burn really good

·
Registered
12,160 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
It sounds like a vegas or boardwalk would fit the bill perfectly. A crossroads too if you want something for better 2 up or just like the bagger look. On the vegas and the bordwalk, the first thing I might do is change the rear shock to one that has more suspension travel for a smoother ride. The bikes should be nice and agile otherwise. cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,
At the risk of getting pelted by a dozen or so forum members, I strongly suggest you consider a brand that has dealer representation in Belize. You may be good with tools, but there will come a time when you will need what only a dealer has to offer. Having said that, I have never been back to mine except for the first service and that was over 12,000 miles ago. Yes, Victorys are extremely reliable, but so are Hondas and some others. Speaking of Honda, their new NC700s would be a nice island bike. Or maybe they still sell the NT700V (aka Deauville) in Belize - that has a shaft drive, a lot better for those unpaved roads. Bikes with belt drive aren't a good choice if you intend to ride on dirt or gravel roads.
I (and many others on this forum) hope that you have taken a rider training course. If not, its extremely important that you do so before buying a bike. There's far more to operating a bike (and surviving) than you can ever imagine.
I hope yours wasn't one of the houses involved in that landslide.
Ric
The landslides were on the Orcas Islands; my place is on Bainbridge Island, about 25 nm from Seattle in the Puget Sound. I only WISH that we had a landslide; its the only way that my house has more value than what the real estate market dictates any more!

The rub to any bike for Belize is that there are no dealers for ANY bike! There is a Kawa dealer for ATV's only. He doesn't service bikes and carries no parts, as I have already checked.

Yes, I do wear hats on the noggin, and have my motorcycle license now.

Actually, as roads go, the hardpan roads have fewer potholes than the main roads! The biggest issue with the asphalt roads is with splits in the road.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Im kinda with RICZ on this one...a belt drive bike is not the best choice for riding on hardpan and dirt roads... Id be looking for a shaft-driven bike if that was what my roads looked like...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The landslides were on the Orcas Islands; my place is on Bainbridge Island, about 25 nm from Seattle in the Puget Sound. I only WISH that we had a landslide; its the only way that my house has more value than what the real estate market dictates any more!

The rub to any bike for Belize is that there are no dealers for ANY bike! There is a Kawa dealer for ATV's only. He doesn't service bikes and carries no parts, as I have already checked.

Yes, I do wear hats on the noggin, and have my motorcycle license now.

Actually, as roads go, the hardpan roads have fewer potholes than the main roads! The biggest issue with the asphalt roads is with splits in the road.

No dealers in Belize, sounds like a good business opportunity......sell cheap pre owned japanese motorcycles to the Belizians

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No dealers in Belize, sounds like a good business opportunity......sell cheap pre owned japanese motorcycles to the Belizians
The import duties in Belize are astronomical for things such as this; I'm bringing in all my toys as "business equipment". I have 2 businesses there, and due to the number of employees I have, I am duty-free and tax-free for 15 years. But it does not apply to resale items in Belize; my businesses are based in Belize but can not sell to Belizeans or I lose the duty-free distinction. Great thought, though!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If it's Victory you want, obviously I have to suggest the Kingpin. Not that I have any experience with the other bikes. But it's common knowledge that the suspension and handling of the Kingpin is top notch and the Pin fits the bill of the classic look you mentioned. While they are discontinued now, there are still some Pins out there new on the floor. You can go to just about any dealer and ask that they do a transfer for one if they don't have it. That's how I got mine. With paperwork done and signed, it would probably take about a week or so to get delivery of your bike. For power upgrades, the most common is exhaust, intake and power commander. That should get you good sound and power increase.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The import duties in Belize are astronomical for things such as this; I'm bringing in all my toys as "business equipment". I have 2 businesses there, and due to the number of employees I have, I am duty-free and tax-free for 15 years. But it does not apply to resale items in Belize; my businesses are based in Belize but can not sell to Belizeans or I lose the duty-free distinction. Great thought, though!

Is the high import duties due to Belize being a British Colony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the high import duties due to Belize being a British Colony
Not per se; they are a relatively poor country with close geographic access to the U.S. markets. Consequently, they want their pound of flesh for anything not made in Belize.

As an example, I am taking in 2 new Grand Cherokee's. They do sell them in Belize, but no one there can afford them with taxes and duties, although I can get them serviced. Each vehicle will cost me about 40K in the States. Shipping cost of 2K each. Duties would be charged on the whole 84K combined. The duties are 70% of the purchase price, for a total of 84K + 59K (duties) = 142.8K

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have 2 businesses there, and due to the number of employees I have, I am duty-free and tax-free for 15 years.
Do you run the Dolphin swimming business? That seemed like a nice way to make a few bucks and swimming with large fish like mammals is good fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you run the Dolphin swimming business? That seemed like a nice way to make a few bucks and swimming with large fish like mammals is good fun.
I have a resort/golf course going on line and a new Cuban cigar eCommerce website that will also go live soon. My wife is a Brit, and she legally runs the website.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I have a resort/golf course going on line and a new Cuban cigar eCommerce website that will also go live soon. My wife is a Brit, and she legally runs the website.
Does that mean she won't send the cigars and the bands separately to US addresses? ;)

I used to love them skinny Cohiba cigarillos. My lungs complain violently these days so I behave now.

Not long ago I met a guy who did missionary work there. He said there was a lot of crime there now. Is biking a safe activity there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does that mean she won't send the cigars and the bands separately to US addresses? ;)

I used to love them skinny Cohiba cigarillos. My lungs complain violently these days so I behave now.

Not long ago I met a guy who did missionary work there. He said there was a lot of crime there now. Is biking a safe activity there?
The Obama administration is looking for bad guys with shoe bombs; they could give a rip about stogies, with or without bands....

Belize City is 1/2 business and tourist, and the upper 1/2 is gangers who shoot each other. They do drive-by shootings on bicycles against each other. Soon, they will have shot each other, and only one will be standing. Its the only place in Belize that there is crime, and they are intent on proving that "thinning the herd" is an efficient concept.

·
Premium Member
13,058 Posts
My two centavos...

If you are going to ride 1 up most the time get the Kingpin. It has the 4" travel on the rear shock that's stock. The Boardwalk has a 3" travel rear shock but they can install the longer one at additional cost if you happen to like the styling of the BW better. The longer fenders of both models would be good for the environment in Belize.

If you plan on riding two up much of the time or just wanted to make sure your passenger was comfy; get one of the Cross Roads variations like the XR, Classic XR, or Hard Ball. I would get the hard bags with locking capability just to keep the honest people honest.

You should be fine with Stage 1 flash with a set of mufflers to suit your ear and I would recommend the Lloydz air filter for the X bike and your choice of an S&S or Torque Tubes for the KP or other light cruiser. The improvement is well worth the extra coin and there will be other performance upgrades to go with X bike air filter soon. The timing wheel is a bonus because it moves the torque curve to the left about 700 rpm. More accomodating to the big air-cooled big twin. I found the Lloydz air filter also improved the low end grunt on the XC; something I didn't expect but maybe that has something to do with the Lloydz cams you can drop in with basic hand tools. I went with the PC-V with Auto Tune and think it is great; especially when I change something. I don't need to get another flash, download, or dyno tune. Just let it re-tune itself with a little bit of interaction on my part. Obviously an optional windshield would be a huge plus due to the bugs you will be hitting in the more humid environment. I would also get the optional Tachometer. As much for looks as function.

For what it's worth, I have an XC and a KP and in my mind the XC is the cruiser and the KP is my hot rod due to its light feeling and quickness. Very different rides. I have the KP set up for solo riding because I have no interest in taking anyone for a ride on that bike; at least while I own a heavier cruiser/bagger like the XC.

The way you described the roads later in this thread leads me to think the belt should not be an issue like it might be on the Alaskan gravel and mud roads to the North.

Good luck in your search for the right bike for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts