Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is post 1 of my registration completion process. :) I have a 2007 Yamaha Warrior, but have several friends who ride Victory bikes and have 3 friends that work at their R+D facility. I live about a mile from that facility, so I get to see tons of the gorgeous bikes coming and going throughout the summer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post #2.

I'm currently working on customizing my Warrior, and am looking to shoehorn in the Victory triangular headlight as I think they just look sweet!! In doing that, i'll likely have to ditch my tachometer and keyswitch at which point I'm going to simply install a remote FOB for the ignition and maybe even install a remote starter.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a cool mod. Make sure you post some pics when you're done.thumb up

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do! I think the Victory cruiser line is one of the if not THE coolest factory bikes made. Don't get me wrong, I love my Warrior and all but the lines of the Victory are just something else. I just couldn't afford a Victory (Vegas or Hammer) last year. I'm a guy who can't leave stock well enough alone, so you take a stock bike and $3k later you're getting close to where you want it. that put me at about the $17k mark so I have to wait a while. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a question (can't yet post on the boards). Is the triangular shaped headlight hard to come by? Is it made of plastic, aluminum or steel?

I haven't been able to find one anywhere. I take that back, I found one on Ebay but it's painted gold so i'd have to have it painted for about $150. I thought that if it were made of aluminum, I could strip the paint off, then take steel wool and give it that brushed look then clear it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome Sanny. Love the war bikes, must post pics when you're done.

Vic headlights; I'm assuming you mean the bucket headlight? Not too hard to come by. They are aluminum I believe. At least that's what it felt/looked like when I took mine apart. Definitely not plastic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Kings! I will post a pic or two of my bike current state so that you have a baseline of what I have now. I think simply adding that headlight will add a LOT to the bike's overall look. I love the side and rear profile of the bike, but from the front....not so much. I think the headlight will transform that radically.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's my bike currently as of yesterday afternoon. I just think the stock headlight looks like a steel wheel on a Ferrari....out of place and doesn't belong. I think the Vic headlight will REALLY add a lot to the looks and styling of my bike. I got the bike last August. It was stock aside from the exhaust and fuel programmer. Done a little work to it since then...

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Here's my bike currently as of yesterday afternoon. I just think the stock headlight looks like a steel wheel on a Ferrari....out of place and doesn't belong. I think the Vic headlight will REALLY add a lot to the looks and styling of my bike. I got the bike last August. It was stock aside from the exhaust and fuel programmer. Done a little work to it since then...

Damn, for a minute there I thought you had bought my last bike:

IMG_0454.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, they could be twins almost! :) I really would like to hop on a Hammer to see how they compare ride wise. I'm still dialing in my shock spring (replaced it with an adjustable rate spring this winter) so once I get that done, I'd like to do an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, they could be twins almost! :) I really would like to hop on a Hammer to see how they compare ride wise. I'm still dialing in my shock spring (replaced it with an adjustable rate spring this winter) so once I get that done, I'd like to do an apples to apples comparison.
A close friend of mine has a 09 midnight warrior that I have ridden and put about 200 miles on before. Nice bike I thought solid braking, handled well. As for a comparison between that and my Hammer I am 6'1 and I thought my Hammer had better ergo's for me. The warrior did seem to steer quicker then my hammer though. Braking felt pretty similar to my Hammer. In a straight line roll on drag race my Hammer could walk away from his bike. But overall I would recommend that for someone who didn't want to spend as much money on a Vic but still wanted a good bike.cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
A close friend of mine has a 09 midnight warrior that I have ridden and put about 200 miles on before. Nice bike I thought solid braking, handled well. As for a comparison between that and my Hammer I am 6'1 and I thought my Hammer had better ergo's for me. The warrior did seem to steer quicker then my hammer though. Braking felt pretty similar to my Hammer. In a straight line roll on drag race my Hammer could walk away from his bike. But overall I would recommend that for someone who didn't want to spend as much money on a Vic but still wanted a good bike.cheers
I would echo this sentiment though I preferred the Yami's brakes. I would add that the Vics do not vibrate to the same extent. I had the handlebars that you have on yours and they didn't seem to transmit the same level of vibes. I got rid of them because they made it difficult to see the speedo. Not a big deal to me, but maybe more for a potential owner. The vibes really shook my hands to sleep with the newer bars if running over 80 mph.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a buddy who works for Victory/Polaris and he had a Hammer. He's about 6'4" and he liked the Hammer's ergonomics as well, but didn't like it's cornering demeanor. He said it wanted to stay upright and not want to lean...he had to fight it a bit. He rode mine and said it was night and day better handling wise. Now, in defense of the Hammer, I've heard that changing the tires will dramatically and drastically improve it's handling in the corners. Heard that from a few people actually. His Hammer was new so it had the stock tires on it still. He traded it in before he was able to change tires so it would have been great to see/hear from his perspective how it rode differently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, the Carlini bars I have to shake a bit...going to retorque them as I've been told if you overtorque them they'll vibrate like mad. Although, the stock bars shook a bit as well. Not teeth jarring by any means, but not silk either.cheers

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a buddy who works for Victory/Polaris and he had a Hammer. He's about 6'4" and he liked the Hammer's ergonomics as well, but didn't like it's cornering demeanor. He said it wanted to stay upright and not want to lean...he had to fight it a bit. He rode mine and said it was night and day better handling wise. Now, in defense of the Hammer, I've heard that changing the tires will dramatically and drastically improve it's handling in the corners. Heard that from a few people actually. His Hammer was new so it had the stock tires on it still. He traded it in before he was able to change tires so it would have been great to see/hear from his perspective how it rode differently.
I have only run the OEM brand tires on my hammer so I couldn't say otherwise. With the ergo's I felt like I was more in a sportbike riding style with the way the seat was and him having drag bars on the bike.The seat doesn't seem to cup your butt either like the Vic does. With the tank at a slight angle I felt more like I was sitting in the Hammer then with the warrior I was sitting on top of it. The 250 rear will turn but it does take more effort. Which I guess is something you get from any bike with a wider rear tire due to the profile of it. To me the look of the 250 on the back makes it worth it though.thumb up

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a headlight today! Scored one for $100 with the lens and bulbs. Chrome as well in great condition! Can't wait to start seeing about getting this on my bike!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many have asked for pictures and such of this project I'm doing to my Warrior so I'm posting it here. I figured that I'm combining Yamaha and Victory Hammer elements I'd dub this Operation Yamahammer. :) I would really appreciate your input on this as I personally feel that the Warrior and Vegas/Hammer/Jackpot share similar styling lines. That said, I'd really like your opinion of what I'm doing here.

I got the light today, and I immediately went to work. Removed the handlebars to get access to things, removed the ignition and the tach.

So now the mock up question comes into play. Which configuration do you like better?

OPTION A: I like this one from the form factor. Cleaner and the light is raised up about 1 to 1.5" higher than option B. The downer about this is that I have to relocate my tach (under the tank presumably) and I wouldn't be able to reference it. I don't care about the tach itself, BUT I am rather fond of the odometer reading, especially when it shows you how many miles you've gone once the fuel light trips on the speedometer. VERY important information.

OPTION B: Not as clean at first glance as Option A, but still not bad. Not sure if this maybe puts the light too far forward....or at least maybe has the illusion of it with the tach cover above it. The trade here is that I retain the use of my tach and odometer, but might lose the streamlined look of the light. Not sure either way. Might have to chew on it for a while.

What do you guys think? I thought about looking into grinding down the tach housing a tick so that I could get the light positioned up and back more like Option A. Not sure if that would still give the light more of a stretched look like I mentioned above or not.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts