Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've joined this forum to get an more "personal" impression of the XC Tour. I'm taking a test ride next Saturday and am ready to pull the trigger, but...

I've noticed a few threads talking about cams and power commanders, etc., and I'm just not getting it. I currently ride a 2007 Star (Yamaha) Road Star, the last year BEFORE they started building them with EFI.

So what's the necessity for the "cams" all about, as well as the power commander, and other stuff? If you can point me to threads that have already discussed this, it would really help. I just want to be able to talk to the sales person intelligently, and not get sold a bill of goods I really don't need or want.

Thanks in advance!

WillDawgz
U.S. Marine Corps (ret.)
2007 Road Star Silverado

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't have the XC tour I just bought a 2011 XC. I don't think there is any necessity for "cams, power commanders, etc". It mostly just a personal preference about how someone wants a bike to perform. I suspect for the vast majority of XC owners they run just fine in stock form. Since you are coming off of a Road Star I suspect the performance of the XC will probably be pretty similar. I myself came off of a Raider with a larger 113" V-twin that made gobs of torque so I'd like the 106" in the XC to have a little more punch that I'm used to but it is by no means necessary.

As far as being sold a bill of goods by the salesman I don't know that you really need to worry about that. There isn't much they can sell you except maybe an extended warranty that you probably don't need. I don't think the Polaris dealers are like Harley dealers in which they try to sell you a bunch of accessories and clothes when you buy the bike. Other than that you just need to ride the bike and fall in love with it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the XC tour I just bought a 2011 XC. I don't think there is any necessity for "cams, power commanders, etc". It mostly just a personal preference about how someone wants a bike to perform. I suspect for the vast majority of XC owners they run just fine in stock form. Since you are coming off of a Road Star I suspect the performance of the XC will probably be pretty similar. I myself came off of a Raider with a larger 113" V-twin that made gobs of torque so I'd like the 106" in the XC to have a little more punch that I'm used to but it is by no means necessary.

As far as being sold a bill of goods by the salesman I don't know that you really need to worry about that. There isn't much they can sell you except maybe an extended warranty that you probably don't need. I don't think the Polaris dealers are like Harley dealers in which they try to sell you a bunch of accessories and clothes when you buy the bike. Other than that you just need to ride the bike and fall in love with it!
Rajder,

Thanks! Whew! Glad to hear that all those things I had been seeing were "optional" and not necessary add-ons.

Really looking forward to making the switch; I think...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts