Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys & Gals I recently completed the MSF course and passed with only a few points deducted anyways I was looking for my first bike and I know, I know I am going to get hammered for this, but I want a used a XC 2010 etc. for my 1st bike wac

Lee

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
That is a big bike for a first bike! That said, it's a very fine handling bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree but I I don't want to start out on something I will outgrow
You are supposed to "out grow" your first bike. You're first bike is the one that you learn a **** TON of very important things on and usually wind up scratching and dinging along the way. I am the last guy on this forum that will jump up and down and tell you that you CAN NOT buy an XC for a first bike. I will say that I feel you would be better served on a 4-7 thousand dollar "starter" bike. At least for one entire season. No matter what you buy, take pics and share. Best of luck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I started out on a Judge. Love it. Also regret not starting on the cross country in first place.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You'll probably have more fun on a smaller bike to start. I started on a 450 suzuki and like the lighter ride for starters. You can always sell it and move up to a bigger ride. Its easier and you'll learn a lot about the comparison between bigger and smaller rides. :cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I started on a gsxr 600 that lasted two weeks... 6ft 1in 290 lbs yeah I then rode a gsxr 1000 for ten years and never learned its full potential, but all the experience on my 1000 helps me ride my xc better good luck

·
Registered
426 Posts
i would recommend a vision, they have better tipover protection. at bare minimum if you have to get an XC, you need to get with AZ Victory (think thats their name, they do the police bikes) and get the police bag protectors. or you can grab a skull bike, and make my paint job that much more rare :p
as far as a big bike to start, my first was a ZX12 that made over 300hp. the thing was flat out insane. power a wheelie at 100, no clutch. you just have to remember the 3 rules to riding. 1. People cant see you. You get on a bike you are officially invisible. 2. Don’t try and ride above your skill level, it will show you that “you ain’t that good yet” quick fast and in a big damn hurry(thank God for full gear, and i still have the helmet with the flat spot in it). 3. At any given moment that motorcycle may flip over and ride you the exact same way you’re riding it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I started with that, a honda shadow 600. Was a lot of fun and I loved it but it had no power.

Then I moved to a highball. My first bike looked so small compared to the victory.

Now I would be more interested in a bagger. So if you want to start straight with a bagger, I would say, go for it. You'll win some time.

I would be you I would test ride different bikes, like the gunner for example, then the cross country, it will help you decide. I'm pretty sure it will comfort you in your choice to start with a xc.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started with that, a honda shadow 600. Was a lot of fun and I loved it but it had no power.

Then I moved to a highball. My first bike looked so small compared to the victory.

Now I would be more interested in a bagger. So if you want to start straight with a bagger, I would say, go for it. You'll win some time.

I would be you I would test ride different bikes, like the gunner for example, then the cross country, it will help you decide. I'm pretty sure it will comfort you in your choice to start with a xc.

I agree with,but the reality is I would be super pissed If I messed up an XC due to my limited experience ! I think I might get a brand x sporty and try that this season and then make the jump next year

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
That nuclear orange is fantastic. Looks like you also have the stage-one tri-ovals. Looks great, good luck, be careful, and ENJOY!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats man! You'll love it!

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Former USAF MSF instructor here. Make sure to practice ALL the MSF maneuvers with your motorcycle so you become completely comfortable with controlling it.

Safe riding is efficient riding. I make it a point to find out what drags in turns so I won't be surprised. Metal is cheap, flesh less so.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
So if you want to start straight with a bagger, I would say, go for it. You'll win some time.
If you get a starter bike with a bagger dream bike, you will appreciate the bagger that much more once you finally get it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts