Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a 2013 vegas 8 ball with 3900 miles on it tomorrow. it has the x box exhaust system already on it which if I bought a brand new one would have it put on. my question is should I be worried about the exhaust being burnt like this or is that normal of this system?
thanks in advance guys and gals

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Wow that must have gotten hot... I don't think those are the Xbow's. They look to short. I would be a little bit alarmed by that exhaust being that burnt. Not so much the head pipes as the muffler portion.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I am taking a wild ass stab in the dark here but my guess is that thing was running crazy lean at one point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh good eye. I thought they were the x bow's thanks for pointing that out. have a test ride scheduled for tomorrow what would cause the exhaust to get burnt like that.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
It could be faulty coating on the pipes... Or it could be that bike is running really lean and getting really hot because of it! If it's running that lean I wouldn't pay very much money for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are asking 8400 for it. Zoomed in on the pics and looks like the the middle of the pipes have an exhaust leak right there. What would cause it to run lean? Will a programmer fix that?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Fuel Controller would definitely fix that... If the pipes have been changed and no fuel controller was added the damage could already be done. It got so hot it cooked the coating off the heat shields I see... I don't know man but I am thinking I would low ball the hell out of them on this bike. Even if there is nothing wrong with it engine wise you need to spend $1500 on it right out of the gate. New pipes $750, fuel controller $350 plus install and dyno tune or auto tune.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Too bad you didn't live closer to Canada... With the exchange rate you could buy a bike like that here for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Welcome from Chesterfield, Va.

Yeah tread real carefully with that. Those burnt up pipes are a flashing red light warning sign.

Things to ask--

Who did the pipes? If he claims dealer or other "expert"- where's the documentation? Docs should verify that they loaded a new software map. If there is no controller installed, and he has no proof he loaded a map that works with those pipes- It may be best to assume that a serious and prolonged lean condition existed. This can be very damaging.

I'm kind of swinging wild here- maybe sniff around (literally) for burnt oil? Check the dipstick. Any smoke on startup? I would advise to be ready to walk on this bike if you have the slightest doubt.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I see it at an HD dealer... Don't expect him to know a goddamn thing about it. Most Vic dealers know a fraction of what Mags, Judge Redd and myself know. I found a few Vic's in your state on CL.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
If its from running excessive lean the exhaust valves will be burnt töo and ready to let go.
Just as well it wasnt covered up with VHT header paint.
Its a big danger sign to me.
Id at least pull the spark plugs cos if they haven't bothered hiding the exhaust signs then you may find signs of lots of heat on the spark plugs.
Compression check will show up burnt valves.
Be real careful

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah. Look man. Victory makes a damn near bulletproof machine. But this thing looks messed up. I have to agree- pass on this one. Regardless of historical quality - they need competent basic care. A hack exhaust job like this does not indicate competence. It would SUCK to have you or anyone have a terrible Victory ownership experience and leave you with a terrible taste and never buy again..

There's got to be another one out there for you or possibly take advantage of winter pricing and incentives on a new one..

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I found an 11 Kingpin in VA with 313 miles and about 2g in extras for $9500... Just look on Craigslist.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been looking on Craigslist. I'm dead set on the Vegas 8 ball like the pictures show. I'll continue to search since they can't tell me anything about the bike and in not trying to buy someone else's problems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts