Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We regularly get ripped off pretty good north of the 49th but the last couple of things I've bought really take the cake.

One item unrelated to bikes is $150 USD which is $188 in Canukistan dollars. Purchasing them here was $499. Needless to say I made a quick trip south.

Getting the bike prep'd I've found I finally ran out of filters. This is what I found coming from pretty much the same source.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL14610-PurolatorONE-Oil-Filter/dp/B000E8V9RG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523500172&sr=8-3&keywords=purolator+l14610[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000E8V9RG/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000E8V9RG&pd_rd_r=64c5ddea-3df9-11e8-a97a-9ba70c80a3ad&pd_rd_w=vsbLk&pd_rd_wg=14wat&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=P05KK1N9JSZ1ZXJ6JF0A&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=07871b8e-d32a-4963-b98f-ba712077f7f5&pf_rd_i=desktop[/ame]

Makes you want to punch somebody. Looks like another trip soon.

·
12,983 Posts
gee you could of gone to auto store and bought a WIX filter for the same price or maybe less p/n 51356

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Canuck....avoid Purolator, Fram and those other department store filters and stick with WIX, K&N and NAPA Gold. WIX are available at O'Reilly's and (I think) Autozone stores. There is a huge difference between the cheapie and quality oil filters - not only in the filtering materials, but also the bypass valves and the inner plates.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I started with the Purolator One originally because they were easily available in the last city I lived in. Since then I just stuck with them and my last purchase was half a dozen which I've just run out of. I was simply sticking with the known product.

There's lots of Fram's around but there's also too many horror stories. Possibly due to the fact they are in every auto and department and corner store around and just the amount they sell. When so many sell Fram there must be a bigger markup on them. Wix, not much different but usually only in the auto stores. Still a manufacturer that makes filters for just about anyone that wants to re-brand them. Again, they do sell a huge number which may contribute to some of the bad comments. Just comes down to numbers. I will check them out though VJ.

No O'Reilly's,,,no Autozone north of the 49th. Napa is 1/2 an hour away in some pretty crappy traffic due to a long-term construction project. Dead stop lots of the time.

Anyway, I'm striking out with the Purolator and Bosch. Mobil 1 I looked at this morning was about $23.00 for the short one so I just slowly backed away. Amsoil filters are sold by a couple of part timers out of their house when they happen to be home.

Looks like I'm off to Napa next time I go that way or even the stealer. At least they have a few more brands on hand than our auto stores. Certainly not paying the amount I showed on the OP though where I was just trying to show people the difference.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hear ya.!
I just picked up a 4 pack of Wix 51365 oil filters from eBay, for $25.24 US, shipped to my US shipping addy, which is about 40 minutes away.
At the same time, I picked up a set of these highway pegs for $100.00 US from eBay as well, shipped to there too. FortNine wants $240.29 plus the 13% tax for the very same thing!! Ouch!

Dusty

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Canuck...come down and visit me here in Portland and we'll grab ya a bunch of stuff, including a lifetime supply of oil filters and there's no sales tax here!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Canuck...come down and visit me here in Portland and we'll grab ya a bunch of stuff, including a lifetime supply of oil filters and there's no sales tax here!
I bet @53canuck wakes up with a more "laid down" license plate too .... :ltr:

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I bet @53canuck wakes up with a more "laid down" license plate too .... :ltr:
Shhhh.....that's our dirty little secret. Also...the only spread he's getting for his toast is Marmite. :devil

·
Registered
12,158 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I ended up going with the Wix XP this time. Reviews looked good and it's readily available at a local parts store.

When I filled the bike back up with oil I noticed I had no other washers left. Not a problem because I usually just anneal the copper washer and reuse it a few times. I do have some aluminum ones but prefer not to use them. I made myself a note to get some more copper ones and did that today when I went by the local parts store.

The crush washers they had in stock are not the solid copper ones I've been used to over the years. These are more like tubular manifold gaskets that will crush down flat as they are tightened. They are specifically made as oil seals so no problem there but once crushed they will be so thin I don't think they will be suitable for multiple usage. No big deal as they are very cheap and I bought half a dozen for few dollars so I'm good.

I've seen them used in the odd plumbing fixture and a seal is a seal so they should do well. Just wanted to see if anybody has run into this type of oil pan washer before.

Copper Compression Washers 14 x 21 x 2 - 10 Pack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts