Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So what I got out of it was a lot of backhanded compliments about its gaudy styling, a new understanding that I shouldn't expect the motorcycle to corner, because that's outside the purview of a croozer, and that if I really wanted one of these, I probably want a Harley.

At least he seemed to like the engine. ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not what I got out of it at all. He did not like the chrome for sure but neither am I a chrome fan. What he did say was if you are in that market you are probably looking at HD, you should definitely give the Vic a look, you'd be crazy not to. When you ride sport bikes then yes cruisers do not corner as well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
even uglier fenders!

worse lookin IMO than the kingpin and cheaper forks to boot! kingpin said to handle well this cheaper "harley" type model change with cheaper lo-tech forks. need a dual disc hammer with a 180 rear tire!!!!! please VICTORY!!!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have never ridden a BW , but I love the look of them.... The white one is stunning , IMO .

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
If everyone liked the same thing, Earth would be pretty boring. I personally like the Boardwalk much better than the KingPin, but that is why there are different models... :D

[EDIT] Forgot that the KP is discontinued after I typed this, but I still like the BW lol

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Nothing against HD , Ill take the BW ....thumb up

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I looked at the Boardwalk before I pulled the trigger on my KP August of last year. I personally thought the Boardwalk looks terrible. I remember thinking to myself that not a single person would buy that. :D To each their own right? But what's with that hideous seat?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on a Boardwalk if it was on fire, but I feel exactly the same way about the Harley.

I would buy a Yamaha (Star) Raider before either one...

Good handling, powerful out of the box...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
styling tastes

beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure! manufacturers TRY to build what they think will sell at good profits, but when a restyle also has lower spec parts like the forks without a lower price!!! you could say inverted is too modern but i would guess theres cheap damper rods in the conventional forks that victory uses, please correct me if thats correct as cartridge units are sometime used in old style forks but not usually as the bean $$$ counters rule. like the other H cycles do is all for looks + little for function, brakes also being a safety item you should not need a gorilla grip to slow down on heavier motorcycles as usually is the case. better brakes can be added with little more build cost by the bike builders but it takes a lot more $$ for you to upgrade!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
My 2002 GoldWing had half-and-half brakes: one side was a cartridge, other side was not. They did it for their anti-dive mechanism, which I promptly overrode anyway lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
fancy forks

i am amazed on variations of suspensions thru the years when i talk to my friend a former duck dealer, mr technology! some sport bikes now control compression on one side + rebound on the other! damper rods are 1940's no tech. but manufacturers try to make the most $$$ using the cheapest parts. Harley is known for buying the best $10 shocks available, the air shocks on big bikes are a cheap out as well!!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
While Victory strayed a bit from the clean, modern look with this resurgence of wire wheels (bleh) and the Boardwalk's ridiculous beach bars, I'd still take the BW over a chrome-dipped Softail iteration in a heartbeat. I think the Boardwalk's back fender is freaking awesome, and the lines of the bike are just beautiful.

But yeah, forget the beach bars and wire wheels. Let's see some pullbacks and a nice set of alloys swapped in from a Kingpin, maybe. How many BW owners we got here? Someone oughtta do that.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on a Boardwalk if it was on fire, but I feel exactly the same way about the Harley.

I would buy a Yamaha (Star) Raider before either one...

Good handling, powerful out of the box...
While I might not feel that strongly about it, I agree somewhat that I'd migrate towards the Raider if I had the three to choose from if I had to go naked cruiser. Granted the Roadliner (with it's beachy bars and straight classic cruiser geometry and fat front tire) is a closer direct competitor to the BW rather than the Raider. Having ridden both, if it's a 1900 (113 cube) Star bike, you're doin' good. All those 1900's are slick. Even the deluxe is actually quite a nice bagger for those who don't want a dash like a 747.

The interesting thing about the boardwalk is it's smaller market now because folks have figured out if they're going to go with a straight non-overly-raked or non-aped cruiser with a 16 in front, they're likely to want some kind of bagger instead.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
The interesting thing about the boardwalk is it's smaller market now because folks have figured out if they're going to go with a straight non-overly-raked or non-aped cruiser with a 16 in front, they're likely to want some kind of bagger instead.
I think you're onto something... The local dealer here says there is little interest in the Boardwalk. They have not sold one.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Agree with crazy on the Raider. Wish I had it back.

But, I pick up my new BW tommrow. So many toys, so little time.
Good or bad I need something new every year to make my own and there's not much new left out there anymore.thumb up

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think you're onto something... The local dealer here says there is little interest in the Boardwalk. They have not sold one.
I believe my dealer has the same one on the floor that first arrived. They've put it on Facebook to show off and the only comment left for it was "sweet but not as sweet as the Kingpin".

Last night I was looking through the Boardwalk forum searching for the "show off your Boardwalk" thread to gauge how many members have bought one. I didn't find the thread, I know there are a couple members who own one but the numbers seem really low. My point is I think it's like that all over the country and Victory is taking notes. I don't expect the model to survive.

From what I've seen so far, how can they not bring the KP back??

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Agree with crazy on the Raider. Wish I had it back.

But, I pick up my new BW tommrow. So many toys, so little time.
Good or bad I need something new every year to make my own and there's not much new left out there anymore.thumb up
I knew I knew you from somewhere.. roadstarraider forum when I had the hots for that Raider I never bought.

I believe my dealer has the same one on the floor that first arrived. They've put it on Facebook to show off and the only comment left for it was "sweet but not as sweet as the Kingpin".

Last night I was looking through the Boardwalk forum searching for the "show off your Boardwalk" thread to gauge how many members have bought one. I didn't find the thread, I know there are a couple members who own one but the numbers seem really low. My point is I think it's like that all over the country and Victory is taking notes. I don't expect the model to survive.

From what I've seen so far, how can they not bring the KP back??
Funny it's not that I dislike the bike.. Actually when they released it I thought it was gorgeous. However, the KP had more going for it in the inverted forks (I guess.. I get the impression they're more better), and the saddlebag option, and probably the handlebars/geometry.. I get the impression the BW bars aren't so cool.

What's unfortunate with all these steel-frame bikes is because of the grotesquely bulbous exhausts they have to hang off the things they don't/can't offer up a "true" bagger/cruiser ala Heritage Classic style bike because you can't slap big bags on a bike with these steel-frame exhausts. But I think GOOD LARGE FATASS leather bags like something like Ironbags (as I loved on the last bike) or heritage harley style bags, would really make the boardwalk pop.

If I were to buy one, it would be with intention of immediately going with true dual RPW's and a set of fat Ironbag brand saddlebags, if I could talk Max into building some for this Victory. I think THEN, the BW would be worth showing off all dressed up for middle-weight touring like a FL softail or Stratoliner, etc.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I knew I knew you from somewhere.. roadstarraider forum when I had the hots for that Raider I never bought.

Hi bsbabcock, yea they baned me over there, but it was fun for a couple years. Whats been going on over there?

Funny it's not that I dislike the bike.. Actually when they released it I thought it was gorgeous. However, the KP had more going for it in the inverted forks (I guess.. I get the impression they're more better), and the saddlebag option, and probably the handlebars/geometry.. I get the impression the BW bars aren't so cool.

What's unfortunate with all these steel-frame bikes is because of the grotesquely bulbous exhausts they have to hang off the things they don't/can't offer up a "true" bagger/cruiser ala Heritage Classic style bike because you can't slap big bags on a bike with these steel-frame exhausts. But I think GOOD LARGE FATASS leather bags like something like Ironbags (as I loved on the last bike) or heritage harley style bags, would really make the boardwalk pop.

If I were to buy one, it would be with intention of immediately going with true dual RPW's and a set of fat Ironbag brand saddlebags, if I could talk Max into building some for this Victory. I think THEN, the BW would be worth showing off all dressed up for middle-weight touring like a FL softail or Stratoliner, etc.
You can go heavy weight touring with the Roadliner.

Hundred and twenty cans of beer. And the 113 to pull them.thumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts