Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder what stories you guys have about your nicknames.

About mine, "Llama", hmm! LOL.

It came about in Afghanistan during an operational tour there. We were in Helmand Province and during one of the "hot" periods of activity. Every morning we had a pretty serious op brief - maybe I should mention that we were a huge camp, 19,000 "inhabitants" and co-joined was a USMC base too.

Anyhow, as those of you who have been in such situations know, you kind of go through different periods of mental state depending not only on what's going on but also how much of the tour is complete and how much still to go. We hit a period 1/2 way through when I could sense that some were needing an injection of humour, so right at the end of each morning's briefing I started anonymously slipping in a final slide with "Lama's Thought For The Day" (notice, Lama with one "L", e.g. like a Tibetan Buddhist monk). Sometimes it was a genuine "morale-boosting" (hopefully!) message, sometimes just to relieve the stress at the end of a serious brief.

I was doing it anonymously every day for a couple of weeks, but it didn't take my Air Force comrade long to figure out it was me. So then, in typical military humour, started addressing me as Llama (2 x "L" - e.g. the S.American four legged creature, rather than 1 x "L" - the Tibetan monk), and the name stuck with those around me during that tour, and followed me with those who heard about it.

So Llama it is, and better than some names I have been called! LOL

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine has no cool story.

I have Victory Visions and have two Olde English Bulldogs. Sharing some of their attributes I identify with them. Maybe like a spirit animal.

So we get Vic Vision Bulldog or VVB for short.

When I was a jailer before being an officer the inmates called me Robocop because of my no nonsense by the book style.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The Ammo part is from 20+ years working with ammunition and explosives.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
How the Lame Name came to be:

Rewind 15 years ago when I started computer gaming. I needed a character name.
First 2 characters of my first name: BR
First 2 characters of my last name: OG

First character's name was BROG

Started playing "Everquest" and they already had an NPC (non-player character) named Brog so I started going by BROGG

Enter and leave a few games here and there, until I started playing Lord of the Rings Online and my character was a dwarven healer. I wanted something that looked "Dwarvish" so I chose BROGGYR

...and that has persisted throughout everything else.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's pretty cool VicVisionBulldog. (Never had a bulldog - we had spaniels when I was growing up, but if/when we eventually relocate back to the west I would love a Boxer.)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool ammo_umb! So maybe you would appreciate the cross we had made for our memorial in Afghanistan, made out of empty shell casings. In fact the family of all of our guys who lost their lives were given one too, if they wanted it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
My screen name is boring, it's my numberplate of the jackpot.... The CCT is exactly the same Exept the last letter....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Mine don't need any explanation :smile

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
So no ****, there I was...balls deep in RC East Afghanistan (FOB Shank, OEFX) and my squad leader at the time liked to do funny voices and call you by weird variations of your name. So one day during his rantings the name Skinman came rolling out. It fit perfectly...rhymes with my last name, goes along with the fact that it was so hot at the time that when we weren't on mission I was in the least amount of clothing "legally" allowed, accentuated the fact that I like to view "movies" with lots of skin, and also fortified all the talk of the new ink I was going to get upon return to the US.

Flash forward to present day and it is still my nickname used on all of my online accounts, my CVMA road name, SkInM4N is my xbox gamertag, and 90% of the time it is the name by which I am called IRL on the civilian side as well as National Guard side (I was active duty Army at the time when the Skinman was born.)

It's funny how things just stick sometimes.

Skin
(an often used variation of above explained nickname)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well , mine is pretty simple . I Love Dogs , and I love Guns . I Love bikes too , but not applicable in this instance . I named my pup Magnum back in 2007 and shortly thereafter I bought myself a S&W full size Model 500 .50 cal hand gun , er , hand CANON .:grin

Hence , Magnum being a little fella I was getting use to referring to him as Lil' Mags , I needed a new email address and Walla ! LilMags500 was born . Its pretty much my online identity for everything .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well , mine is pretty simple . I Love Dogs , and I love Guns . I Love bikes too , but not applicable in this instance . I named my pup Magnum back in 2007 and shortly thereafter I bought myself a S&W full size Model 500 .50 cal hand gun , er , hand CANON .:grin

Hence , Magnum being a little fella I was getting use to referring to him as Lil' Mags , I needed a new email address and Walla ! LilMags500 was born . Its pretty much my online identity for everything .
That 500 hand cannon is quite ridiculous. I shot it a couple years back .. yeah. Make sure your footing is planted well!

As for mine, it's not complicated. When I was a youngun, my uncle used to call me 'roboots' every time I'd see him. He was the only one who had a nickname for me growing up, so it persisted with time. I use it on basically all forums I'm on. As for the 21, just a lucky number I've always had.

So there you have it. Most people misread it as 'robots', 'reboots', etc. I've heard some good ones.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That 500 hand cannon is quite ridiculous. I shot it a couple years back .. yeah. Make sure your footing is planted well!
Your not kidding ! I have the 11" barrel with 2" compensator on the end . When I first got it I actually carried it ! (Shoulder harness) :ltr:

Mainly as a conversation piece when going to friends house or family gatherings . (gun loving family here) :grin

·
Registered
530 Posts
mine is simple. I used to have a Ducati Monster, and one day was riding with some friends. we stopped at grocery store for some chow and while we were in the store, an elderly man, had accidentally shifted his truck into reverse instead of drive, and backed over my bike.. they made an announcement and we came out and saw my bike.. my buddies told me that the monster was mashed.. and it stayed with me..

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Your not kidding ! I have the 11" barrel with 2" compensator on the end . When I first got it I actually carried it ! (Shoulder harness) :ltr:

Mainly as a conversation piece when going to friends house or family gatherings . (gun loving family here) :grin
The Enforcer! :devil

·
Registered
742 Posts
The ID in id-man stands for IDENTITY not Freud's word for the part of a person's unconscious mind that relates to basic needs and desires (although I do liberally indulge my ID on a regular basis).
I call myself the I-D-man because I'm a trained graphic artist, illustrator, and designer who's been creating or building identities for people, places or things all my working life. I started my early career doing residential and public wall murals intermixed with airbrushing bikes and vans in the late 70s, followed by additional training as a sign painter and ultimately choosing the sign trade as my career, owning a succession of sign shops in Florida and Massachusetts. I still maintain a sign business today but don't really build anymore, preferring to stick with the planning and design more than actual fabrication - which works out pretty good as the nation's economy turns away from small local shops and towards large national wholesalers who can build anything I spec and ship it to me as a turnkey product. I would scrap signs alltogether if I can get VicWrapz rolling big enough to be my sole means of income...that would be like the ultimate expression of ID for me :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a date the night I brought home my dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel......... and....well......... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine came from a long time back (late 70's) when I drove a truck. Working for an independent trucking company, getting your load delivered on time was a big deal. Being only 24 and the accompanying single life style...I'd pull into a dock for delivery and take a short nap waiting for the business to open. A small hardware/lumber store down in Georgia that I delivered shingles to on a regular basis had an owner that would come out and beat on my truck to wake me up. He always made fun of me sleeping in his dock and started calling me Catnaper...which became my handle on the cb.

I've used it as a badge of honor ever since! Lol

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts