Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do this in my trucks religiously since we tend to get major temperature fluctuations. I've yet to see a change of more than 1psi across major weather swings.

Has anyone had their motorcycle tires filled with nitrogen?

Mike

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's not the pressure change that the nitrogen helps it is the freezing water in the compressed air that is the problem. Nitrogen is dry air, so it will not freeze at very low temperatures. Aircraft use nitrogen on all large aircraft tires.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's not the pressure change that the nitrogen helps it is the freezing water in the compressed air that is the problem. Nitrogen is dry air, so it will not freeze at very low temperatures. Aircraft use nitrogen on all large aircraft tires.
Actually, all aircraft tires are filled with nitrogen BECAUSE of its thermal stability. They don't want an aircraft coming down from high altitude and COLD tempetures (which causes air pressure to drop in tires, don't believe then blow up a balloon in a room that is say 70 degrees and then put it in a freezer for say a half an hour and tell us all what you discover) to land on flat tires.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
No nitrogen in my bike, but I do have it in my car. The first thing I noted is, in hot days, the tire pressure doesn't increase dramatically, like it did prior to installing nitrogen. I'm not enthused about putting nitrogen in my bike's tires because their service life is a fraction of car tires and the contact patch is much smaller, generating less heat.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm thinking about doing it just for the fact that in AZ we can have a 30-40 degree swing between daytime high and nighttime.

The maintenance guy at the local dealer told me he put nitrogen in his and was able to see about a 2000 mile difference in tire life compared to average on the stock tires. He said it may have been luck but only thing he did different was the nitrogen.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I have a mix of about 78% nitrogen, and the rest is just a mix of oxygen and other ingredients.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I have a mix of about 78% nitrogen, and the rest is just a mix of oxygen and other ingredients.
Hehehe. You've run rings around them with your danged chemistry.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
415 Posts
The American Sheeple will swallow just about anything the marketing departments can think up. I'm currently working on a concept vehicle with the Sierra Club, Green Peace and Al Gore that will counter the effects of gravity by using closed cell foam in the seat cushions that is infused with helium and an engine that runs on hydrogen. The reduction in weight afforded by using those two gases should allow the vehicle to not even need nitrogen in its tires let alone air.

I'm currently awaiting my government subsidy check in the amount of several billion dollars so that I can begin marketing this idea to the public and produce one concept car over the next decade.

Sorry, as an ex marketing person I just couldn't help myself. I shall now go lay down by my dish and let y'all debate 100% nitrogen over 78% nitrogen.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is this a special Victory blend?
Can I get this stuff from the local Wallymart, or do I hafta go to an auto parts store?

·
13,262 Posts
nitrogen last longer in the tires But if you have to pay for it then its not worth it
Technologies 78% of the air is nitrogen, 21% is oxygen.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is this a special Victory blend?
Can I get this stuff from the local Wallymart, or do I hafta go to an auto parts store?

I heard that it is only available in the boutique section at Vic dealers...can't even buy it in HD stores :D.....I was going to get out the big money & pony up, and enjoy the .0000001 % less rolling resistance ,yielding a net gain of .0000002 MPH top-end. But then I realized I 'm so damn old & slow..:(..I'd likely never notice. So I decided to go with that other ,cheaper stuff...umm...what's it called ?...OH-yeah...Air...;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
nitrogen last longer in the tires But if you have to pay for it then its not worth it
Technologies 78% of the air is nitrogen, 21% is oxygen.
I did the calculation once with approximate tire volumes and found that on a give day with the temperature change in AZ a switch to a 100% nitrogen fill can have a small but 1-3 psi difference over the day which theoretically could improve tire wear.

If I can get them filled for $15 and it might get me an extra 1000 or so miles I am willing to do do it just for the experiment. I've spent way more testing theories in the past.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Man this junk came out when I was still spinning wrenches for dealers.

There are really only 3 benefits to nitrogen, its a thicker molecule so its less likely to loose volume through natural rubber (which isnt air tight). Its dry so there is no moisture to corrode your rim and throw off balance. And last its more stable and not due to ambient air temps like some think, but more due to heat generated as the tire warms up through riding or pressure changes by way of altitude.

The problems are that most tire shops dont properly fill the tires. When you mount a tire, the interior volume is already filled with oxygen. You cant vacuum out the air completely so you have to purge the nitrogen into the tire by filling it, letting it out, filling it, letting it out and then filling a final time.

Second, if you need to pump up your tire on the road for any reason, you are stuck with gas station compressors which screws up the entire system putting you back to having to purge the tire when you get home.

This whole nitrogen deal was generated from the mass hysteria after the Ford/Firestone dispute when the Explorers were killing women, small children and bus loads of nuns, which is why all vehicles sold in America from 2007 must be equipped with a tire monitor system...because we are now stupid asses and dont know how to check the air in our tires anymore....well at least Ford Explorer owners anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Man this junk came out when I was still spinning wrenches for dealers.

There are really only 3 benefits to nitrogen, its a thicker molecule so its less likely to loose volume through natural rubber (which isnt air tight). Its dry so there is no moisture to corrode your rim and throw off balance. And last its more stable and not due to ambient air temps like some think, but more due to heat generated as the tire warms up through riding or pressure changes by way of altitude.

The problems are that most tire shops dont properly fill the tires. When you mount a tire, the interior volume is already filled with oxygen. You cant vacuum out the air completely so you have to purge the nitrogen into the tire by filling it, letting it out, filling it, letting it out and then filling a final time.

Second, if you need to pump up your tire on the road for any reason, you are stuck with gas station compressors which screws up the entire system putting you back to having to purge the tire when you get home.

This whole nitrogen deal was generated from the mass hysteria after the Ford/Firestone dispute when the Explorers were killing women, small children and bus loads of nuns, which is why all vehicles sold in America from 2007 must be equipped with a tire monitor system...because we are now stupid asses and dont know how to check the air in our tires anymore....well at least Ford Explorer owners anyway.
Only partially right.

Yes the US gov. mandated and created an act in the late 90's because of those Ford Explorer crashes, but TPS systems have been around since the 1980's, and was started in Europe. The Porsche 959 was the first production car to have it. So this "junk" as you stated has been around for a long time, and obviously Porsche felt it was more then "junk" (pretty sure they dont put "junk" on quarter million dollar super cars).

The Nitrogen molecule is "larger" not "thicker". I know, English semantics, but when trying to communicate information through the written word, it's actually very important. As for your statement about " its more stable and not due to ambient air temps like some think, but more due to heat generated as the tire warms up through riding or pressure changes by way of altitude." Again as I stated prior, fill a balloon with "air" from your lungs and fill one with 100% nitrogen, and place in a freezer for an hour, then come back and tell us what you discover. THERMAL stability. As for altitude, LOL, wrong. A balloon full of air or nitrogen or ANY other gas will expand until it reaches it's bursting point when you take it to altitude or beyond.
Nitrogen gas is an industrial gas produced by the fractional distillation of liquid air, or by mechanical means using gaseous air (i.e., pressurized reverse osmosis membrane or pressure swing adsorption). Commercial nitrogen is often a byproduct of air-processing for industrial concentration of oxygen for steel making and other purposes. (*quoted from Wikipedia)
Through these processing measures it becomes "dry". It is not a desiccant in and of itself but it has no oxidative qualities at standard temperatures and pressures, unlike oxygen. So corrosion is mitigated in wheels (important to anyone who's ever seen the inside of an aluminum or steel wheel after several years of using "regular air".

As far as tire shops not filling them correctly, that you are right about, but an easy fix is to be an informed consumer and let the shop know you want it done right and WATCH to see it is done right (that's what I do).

If you're on the road and you get a flat for some reason, yes, you can just use regular air to refill to get you home, but when you get home u can get it re-filled/purged again as any good shop includes lifetime re-fill/pressure maintenance. All the shops around these parts where I live do.

If you choose not to believe in the benefits, that's fine, but I WILL continue to use it in ALL my vehicles tires. I wish I could have a large storage tank in my garage cause I would use it in the "air" shocks on both the bike and my Dodge Dart.

Anyone who is or was in aircraft maintenance will, most likely, tell you the same.

Believe what you want, but there is no "tinfoil hat" conspiracy to get you to pay for something that doesn't do what it is touted to do, and personally I would rather there was not a huge rush by the masses to do it, because of the whole law of supply and demand, if EVERYONE did it, prices would probably go through the roof ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
we do it on off road tires on heavy equipment only cause nitrogen will not support combustion. Scraper have been known to have a crack in the final drive allowing oil to weep into the tire. oil and the oxygen mixed inside the tire have know to explode, witch is real bad in general yet if it happens in an underground coal mine.... well it makes the news.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
when trying to communicate information through the written word, it's actually very important.
If your (you're) on the road and (yo)u get a flat for some reason....
I just thought this was incredibly entertaining :D :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts