Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm coming to a stop, knowing I'm going to come to a complete stop, and for whatever reason.... for just a second... forgot to put my feet down.

WTF

Caught myself right at the tipping point, a split second longer and I would have never caught the damn bike.

Thankfully it was in my own driveway coming home, so no one around to make me feel even more stupid :D

Guess I was just worn out from work, and my mind drifted, or just wasn't focused. I know it's happened to others (read the stories on other forums), but I never thought it would happen to me.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Your own answer...

I think you answered your own enquiry: Exhaustion.

I did the same thing in my own driveway, except my feet were down, but I went to back down the very gradual incline a bit to straighten the front end out, and presto, with the wheel cocked, it rolled right out from under me. And I'm talking my BMW GT with all the plastic; while that is a much more top-heavy bike, it was the fault of inattention to the grade while turning the tiller....all because I had been on it 5 hours. :(

·
Registered
579 Posts
I once leaned the bike over because I either forgot to put the side stand down or I didn't get it down well enough and it popped back up.

I managed to keep it from hitting hard enough to hurt anything. I wasn't alone so I was the butt of the jokes at dinner. At least I had help standing it back up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
never done that but i do regularly forget to shift down. so ill go to drive off in 4th or 5th and look like an idiot that dosent know how to ride.

·
Registered
336 Posts
LOL :ltr:

I have never done that myself but just this summer we were riding in a local poker run and we pulled up to the harley dealership. Lots of bikes were pulling in and the dude in front of me just came to a stop and never put his feet down. He just road it out until it fell to left and he went down with it.

We were like WTF!!! After helping him and the bike up we relized he was 3 sheets ripped!

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Yesterday I was preparing to turn left at an intersection and had down shifted to first, I thought, found neutral instead. Was still moving about 5 mph, let the clutch out, gave it some throttle, leaned the bike and almost dumped it right there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yesterday I was preparing to turn left at an intersection and had down shifted to first, I thought, found neutral instead. Was still moving about 5 mph, let the clutch out, gave it some throttle, leaned the bike and almost dumped it right there.
My 2008 vegas- upshifting from 1st to 2nd and i go into neutral sometimes, each time I catch my self revving and going nowhere. Not as bad as a near drop.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now there's a real pucker moment!

·
Registered
442 Posts
witnessed a riding partner pull into a gas station smoothly, reach down and turn key off smoothly, then dismount bike smoothly.... without remembering to put down the kickstand.

bike fell over quite smoothly. i laughed my ass off because that's what you do under these conditions. (then i helped him pick it back up)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any rider with any bike time under his or her belt who insists he or she has never experienced a braindead moment on a bike is either delusional or has an overstated sense of the size of his or her manhood or womanhood!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to the "TOC"cheers

Do a search on it and you'll figure out what it means. We're thinking of getting patches.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2008 vegas- upshifting from 1st to 2nd and i go into neutral sometimes, each time I catch my self revving and going nowhere. Not as bad as a near drop.
I've had this same thing happen on my Vegas. I just thought it was me not used to the bike yet.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
About a month ago I cruised into the garage, turned off the Jackpot and started to lean it over. At the moment it started to get incredibly heavy, I realized I had forgotten to put the kickstand down. Somehow I was able to recover. A moment of truth though!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
About a month ago I cruised into the garage, turned off the Jackpot and started to lean it over. At the moment it started to get incredibly heavy, I realized I had forgotten to put the kickstand down. Somehow I was able to recover. A moment of truth though!
I had a similar experience at the end of a long ride, but at a gas station. The pump I pulled up to turned out to be out of order (no sign posted, of course) so I put up the side stand, backed up to the island behind me with working pumps, started leaning the bike, and, as stated so well in the above quote,

"At the moment it started to get incredibly heavy, I realized I had forgotten to put the kickstand down."

I, too, was able to keep the bike from going over but was unable to stifle that awful feeling of dread and embarrassment, particularly since two other riders showed up as I was rolling backward to the operating gas pumps. Whether they saw what happened or not, I don't know, it was bad enough realizing what I had done all on my own. So I just filled the tank, headed home, and hoped my cranial-methane moment was not seen by anyone but me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jebz240--

I'm not very proud of it, but in a moment of pure stupidity, I dropped my 2012 XCT a while back.

MTVic then tried to make us all feel better about our clumsy selves by creating the Tipped Over Club. I am a card carrying member.

Imagine dropping an ice pick and having it stab your foot to the floor. Now you're a member of the ISMITF* Club. Just a little rationalization to make exclusive what is otherwise pretty damned stupid. MTVic has a cold beer waiting for him in San Antonio next time he comes through town.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=50090

*I stabbed myself in the foot.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Ok,ok, I'll share one more from years ago. I'm on my 1980 GS 750E, probably around 1981, funny how you remember stuff like this. Anyway, I'm looking for a friends house that I've never been to before and reading house numbers that are on the eaves of the house. I see the number I'm looking for and while looking at it I come to a stop and put my foot down on a storm drain, which is about 4" below the surface of the street. Lovely. Down I go. Fortunantly I'm 20 something and I'm able to pick the bike up without blowing a gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Any rider with any bike time under his or her belt who insists he or she has never experienced a braindead moment on a bike is either delusional or has an overstated sense of the size of his or her manhood or womanhood!
The day I stop the bike and 'forget' to put my feet down to hold it up it will be for sale. I'll get a nice safe Volvo station wagon.

Done stupid stuff? Made mistakes? Hell, yes! I ran over my own foot with the rear tire before... top that... but I can honestly say that I have never forgotten that I have to hold the bike up when I stop.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts