Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Vic out yesterday to meet some folks in my MC club. When I stopped and got off, I attempted to lock the front forks only to discover that victory doesn't have front fork locks. I called my local dealer to verify, and they said yep, no fork locks. My questions, what do some of you use to lock you bike? Planning some long trips this summer with hotel stays and would like to lock the bike. Looking for suggestions...

latts

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Took the Vic out yesterday to meet some folks in my MC club. When I stopped and got off, I attempted to lock the front forks only to discover that victory doesn't have front fork locks. I called my local dealer to verify, and they said yep, no fork locks. My questions, what do some of you use to lock you bike? Planning some long trips this summer with hotel stays and would like to lock the bike. Looking for suggestions...latts
This one is too simple....a disc brake lock. They go through a hole in the disc and most have a lanyard that you place over a grip as a reminder. They are more secure than most built in fork locks. There are many to choose from. There, problem solved. Travel in peace.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was going to suggest the same solution. Disc locks work great, compact, easy to carry. If that doesn't do it for ya, there's always the chain and padlock.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Let me tell ya, fork locks are useless! Quick jerk or kick to the bars and a fork lock will pop! Dont ask how I know!

If someone wants your bike the are going to get it. I have seen four men lift a bike on to a car dolly and roll it straight up a box truck ramp. It can take less then 3 minutes and they do not have to start your bike. Off they go to work on any lock you got. That is if they do not part off the bike, then they would just leave the lock on the rotor as they have no resale value anyway.

The best thing you can do is have great insurance or do as I used to and ask for a room on the ground floor of hotels and roll my bike straight into the room with me!

Now that I have a bagger - just got to keep an eye on it. The positive thing is that Vicotry are not stolen near as often as HDs.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Let me tell ya, fork locks are useless! Quick jerk or kick to the bars and a fork lock will pop! Dont ask how I know!

If someone wants your bike the are going to get it. I have seen four men lift a bike on to a car dolly and roll it straight up a box truck ramp. It can take less then 3 minutes and they do not have to start your bike. Off they go to work on any lock you got. That is if they do not part off the bike, then they would just leave the lock on the rotor as they have no resale value anyway.

The best thing you can do is have great insurance or do as I used to and ask for a room on the ground floor of hotels and roll my bike straight into the room with me!

Now that I have a bagger - just got to keep an eye on it. The positive thing is that Vicotry are not stolen near as often as HDs.

yup...same here

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bigsea, thank you for your service. Your answer makes me wonder if we run in the same circles.cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Let me tell ya, fork locks are useless! Quick jerk or kick to the bars and a fork lock will pop! Dont ask how I know! QUOTE]

Not only that but a few people have attemted to drive off with the thing locked. Hard to believe I know. I went to the HD shop a few years back and there was a wide glide sitting there with a dented gas tank, mini-apes pushed in, brake lever broke off, mirror, etc. I asked the service manager what happened and he told me the guy drove off with the forks locked with his 10 year old daughter on the back.(wow) Everybody brace yourself for what I'm getting ready to say, the guy came to pick up the bike attempted to drive off again with the forks locked. Well guess what, he was on his butt again. I would write this off to being mentaly challanged to say the least but to come back and do it again this time at the dealership. It just blows my mind. Well at least the daughter wasn't on it the second time. I never used my fork lock on the HDs I've had so the Victorys not having one doesn't bother me in the least. I've also heard of people drive off, not far mind you, with the rotors locks. I could see this happening a lot easier than the fork lock because you wheel is straight your in a hurry and wam. I might even fall victom to that, be I'll leave it off and make sure.cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2008 has a spot on the frame and forks that when aligned will allow for a padlock or cable lock to go through. It is only on left side of bike when sitting on it. Take a look you may have it too, blends in and isnt really noticeable unless you look at it. My friend has a 2010 Vegas and he also has the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alarm System ???

I know many may be quick to say these are useless but my Dad just bought a XC and we live in Ontario Canada which is not very theft prone to my knowledge but his insurance company wants him to put an alarm system on the bike because they claim it's a high theft risk. It also needs to have one of the three following features

1- audible sound alarm (duh)
2- motion or tilt detection (most have that)
3- battery backup (in case your batt dies I guess)
4- immobilization (didn't know they could do that with bikes)
5- GPS tracking (ruled out do to subsciption fees)

Would anyone know of a good Alarm system that offers all that for motorcycles ?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I know many may be quick to say these are useless but my Dad just bought a XC and we live in Ontario Canada which is not very theft prone to my knowledge but his insurance company wants him to put an alarm system on the bike because they claim it's a high theft risk. It also needs to have one of the three following features

1- audible sound alarm (duh)
2- motion or tilt detection (most have that)
3- battery backup (in case your batt dies I guess)
4- immobilization (didn't know they could do that with bikes)
5- GPS tracking (ruled out do to subsciption fees)

Would anyone know of a good Alarm system that offers all that for motorcycles ?

Thanks
Your dad might need to switch insurance companies. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
no doubt ... we're looking into both scenarios but unfortunately they are so far the cheapest he can find. To save money the alarm is well ... an inconvinience right now but of course a long term benefit. Finding the right one may be a bit more challenging as my research so far hasn't led to anything conclusive on the subject.

We are of course also open to suggestions as to where people are getting a good deal on insurance in Ontario ;o)

thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
my dealer said they are working right now with an after market alarmsystem ( guard dog and couple others) there is no alarm system made for our bikes right now you retrofit something but right now park her close disc lock and a little friend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts