Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No fuel pump or ignition...? What is this black box

Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my 06 Vegas 8ball. When I turn the key the fuel pump doesn't turn on and the bike also won't turn over. I have custom bars with no electronics on them and have a push button start. I had it like that for a while with no issues so I don't think it's that. First thing out of the blue that happened is one day the bike wouldnt turn over, i would push the start button and nothing. After that happened i tried figuring out what was wrong with it and while doing so when i turned the key on the fuel pump didn't instantly turn on, it had maybe a 5 second delay. Then after a while when I turn the key on the fuel pump would turn on then after a few seconds turn on again and again and again (happens not running, just sitting with the key in the on posiston) now it doesnt turn on at all. I took the tank off and ran the pump direct to a battery and it works so I'm totally confused. I also checked all the fuses and relays. I'm stumped. Any help I would be extremely greatful.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm having a problem with my 06 Vegas 8ball. When I turn the key the fuel pump doesn't turn on and the bike also won't turn over. I have custom bars with no electronics on them and have a push button start. I had it like that for a while with no issues so I don't think it's that. First thing out of the blue that happened is one day the bike wouldnt turn over, i would push the start button and nothing. After that happened i tried figuring out what was wrong with it and while doing so when i turned the key on the fuel pump didn't instantly turn on, it had maybe a 5 second delay. Then after a while when I turn the key on the fuel pump would turn on then after a few seconds turn on again and again and again (happens not running, just sitting with the key in the on posiston) now it doesnt turn on at all. I took the tank off and ran the pump direct to a battery and it works so I'm totally confused. I also checked all the fuses and relays. I'm stumped. Any help I would be extremely greatful.
While I don't exactly disagree with Kevin, I think it could be something else. On my old 2006 Vegas, I had the exact same problem. I think it is a problem inherent with the older bikes. If you cannot find anything with your custom wiring, you may want to check your actual ignition switch.

This is fairly simple to take apart, but do it slowly, as there are springs/balls in there that you can lose very easily. My bike exhibited the EXACT symptoms of yours. What had happened is, for one reason or another (water maybe?), the contact for the fuel pump/starter inside the ignition had corroded. It was pretty much gone. This was not allowing the ignition switch to make a circuit with that one contact that directed power to the fuel pump/starter (or could just have been the kill switch on the bars).

Either way mine started doing an occasional no start condition until it finally just did nothing. I was able to take the switch apart and do a solder fix to get it working, but I ended up replacing the ignition switch. The part that sucked is you have to buy gas cap/switch together which runs $120 or so if I remember.

So, check your wiring, and if you don't find anything, I'm willing to be it is in the ignition switch itself. Hope you find your issue!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off i want to say thank you for the advise given. Today I went thru all the wiring, I might be missing something but its all taped off the way I had it. I also took the key switch apart and looks like new in there, I'm not sure where the little ball bearing goes though to put it back together. It's bike week here in Las Vegas this weekend :( is there anything specific I should look for with the kill switch wiring. Also is there a way to bypass the key to see if that could be it.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
First off i want to say thank you for the advise given. Today I went thru all the wiring, I might be missing something but its all taped off the way I had it. I also took the key switch apart and looks like new in there, I'm not sure where the little ball bearing goes though to put it back together. It's bike week here in Las Vegas this weekend :( is there anything specific I should look for with the kill switch wiring. Also is there a way to bypass the key to see if that could be it.
Unplug the ignition, and then hot-wire it - pink wire goes to orange wire, and the other two get connected together (if color's different, hook together the two fatter wires, and also separately hook together the two thinner wires). You can use two shot wires, with stripped ends to create the jump. This should not take you more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
CR,
Is a a coincidence that you just happen to know how to hot wire a bike or do you have a garage full of "used" parts from practicing the technique?!?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
CR,
Is a a coincidence that you just happen to know how to hot wire a bike or do you have a garage full of "used" parts from practicing the technique?!?
What, ermm, coincidence! :D

I was working on a wireless ignition project - one day (about 2 months into the testing process) the dohickie left me stranded, and that was the day I had to hot wire my bike to get home. Hot-wiring my own bike, in a public parking lot, with a few folks walking by and giving me long looks was one of those experiences I won't soon forget. :eek:

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got off work and tried hot wiring it and nothing. I heard the relays but that's about it. I'm so confused

Does anyone know where that little ball bearing in the ignition goes. Thanks again for all the advise, any other ideas?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Just got off work and tried hot wiring it and nothing. I heard the relays but that's about it. I'm so confused
That means your ignition is fine. You have to check the kill switch and kill switch wiring.

Does anyone know where that little ball bearing in the ignition goes. Thanks again for all the advise, any other ideas?
There are two of them, and they give enough pressure so the key has to jump over them when moving from one position to another. There are two little spaces for them to sit in, opposite to each other, at the outer edge of the ignition cylinder.

If you need more help, please take a picture of the opened up cylinder, and I will pinpoint the two locations for you.

·
13,247 Posts
With out a meter you can not check your wiring correctly

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the wiring all thru the bike, I traced the kill switch and didn't see anything. The battery isn't 100% but have it on a jump box. I will put a charger on it tonight. Is there any other fuses that rant in the fuse box that might have blew. Im pulling my hair out on this one. Thanks again everyone for their patients and time for helping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Today I found something by accident, the 2 kill switch wires I have dangling there and the push start button dangling there today tracing these wires and the one side if the kill switch touched the one post of the push button start and the engine turned over, so I touched the other post of the push start and the fuel pump went on briefly. I'm definitely not an electrician or good with any of this electric side but what does this mean. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram on this bike they could possible email me. I have one but was a pic off the Internet and is to fuzzy to read.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Today I found something by accident, the 2 kill switch wires I have dangling there and the push bottom dangling there today tracing these wires and the one side if the kill switch touched the one post of the push button start and the engine turned over, so I hit the other side of the push start and the fuel pump went on briefly. I'm definitely not an electrician or good with any of this elictricle side but what does this mean. Does anyone have a good wiring diagram on this bike they could possible email me. I have one but was a pic off the Internet and is to fuzzy to read.
Huh? :confused:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... the 2 kill switch wires I have dangling there and the push start button dangling ...
Is it just me or is there a lot of stuff dangling? :confused:

....there today tracing these wires and the one side if the kill switch touched the one post of the push button start and the engine turned over, so I touched the other post of the push start and the fuel pump went on briefly...
I can't fully understand what you're doing, but it does sound to me like you're closing different circuits. If that's the case, it just re-affirms that you have a bad contact somewhere. A voltmeter would be very useful to find out which wire makes poor contact or is interrupted.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I'll get my hands on a volt meter. I'm pulling my hair out lol
I think your issue is easier to solve than regrowing hair - so don't pull it yet.

When you turn the key in ignition, do your indicator lights/spedometer/headlight/tail light turn on?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts