Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

No he was not a biker

9K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  V-Man 
#1 ·
I met a dude today while I have a smoke and ice cream break. We were talking bikes and junk. He really like the Victory. He tells me he rides too, he has a Big Dog. He was telling how everyone told him not to get it unless you have a tow truck following him. Tons of problems, turns out it dont matter to him, he says he cant even ride it. He bought cause it was nice looking and he had just gotten his endorsement to ride lol.

Sure burn 30k on a bike to sit in the garage lol

#2 ·
Hopefully he didn't refinance his house to buy it, like tons of other guys did when money was easy to come by.

#3 ·
There's nothing wrong with that in my book. Some collect artwork, some collect old junk, and this guy wanted to collect a chopper. At least he's honest about it. Who knows, maybe one day he'll also ride, especially since he went through the trouble to get his endorsement. Sure, through our eyes, he's not the sharpest tool in the drawer to blow all that money on a bike he doesn't ride, but if it makes him happy, more power to him.

NJ8BALL, you should have been a nice fella and offer to ride it for him on weekends. Where are your manners? :ltr: cheers

#8 ·
Bingo! That's the way I've looked at it. There'll always be those who ride more, longer and harder than I...and those I'll ride more, longer and harder than. Doesn't much matter to me...I'm just going to go have fun. I rode 80 miles one way yesterday just to go get some fresh cheese curds. lol

#4 · (Edited)
Maybe things are different where you are, but there were a lot of people in the Las Vegas area who refinanced homes (when they doubled in value almost overnight) and bought custom bikes, custom sand rails, rvs, boats, adorned their homes interior walls with gold wallpaper, you name it. Then most of 'em walked away from their homes, got their toys repossessed and I got stuck with a portion of the bill because my tax dollars bailed out the banks. There is something very wrong with that.

#6 ·
Went to the Big Dog website and those are really nice, I think the "Wolf" model is my favorite. $35,900 base msrp on that one.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm kind of with Crossroads on this one. It's all a matter of degree. There are some people that ONLY own a bike and ride it every single day and they would look at someone who only does the majority of their riding on weekends as not a "real" biker. I know a guy that owns about 12 guitars and can barely play. But he appreciates the beauty and crafstmanship in each one of them. So is he not a guitarist??

I think each of us defines what a "biker" is based on what WE do with a bike. But, bear in mind, in someone else's view...you might not really be a biker. ;)

#23 · (Edited)
I know a guy that owns about 12 guitars and can barely play. But he appreciates the beauty and crafstmanship in each one of them. So is he not a guitarist??
Of COURSE he is NOT a guitarist. He is a guitar COLLECTOR. A guitarist is one that can PLAY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitarist

As for the bike, you should have offered him $18K for it. Who knows, maybe he's grown tired of it and wanted to just liquidate it and thought that a REAL biker might actually be interested in it.

But... Smoking and Ice Cream? I can't think of a worse way to ruin an ice cream than to have a person smoking anywhere near me or my family.

#12 ·
"Art" is about all a Big Dog is good for.. Living in their hometown, they were foreclosed on by Intrust bank in August of last year.
Empty building. Big Dog-Gone.
Don't see how Polaris is going to make it with the Indian line. Considering they are selling in the same $30K price range. Think that ship has sailed.

#13 ·
Yes ice cream break. I'm diabetic I needed a snack, and it was hot as hell. Don't hate LOL

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
Maybe ,,,stop for a smoke + munchies = ice cream...Doesn't make him a bad guy ..lol

#16 ·
Having a Big Dog in your garage is just a one up for the guys that have HD stickers on their trucks. Some people have wants, some have needs but it's rare for someone to have what they want or to want what they need.

Oh yeah, ice cream stop are probably a little better for you than beer stops. We have a group here in Utah that rides just to tour the bars. They plan their rides to have an hour between bars and plan to only have one beer per bar. For some reason none of them could be considered a picture of health...

#18 ·
Don't be knocking Ice cream breaks theres about 4 little seasonal Ice Cream shops on a popular loop up here and they always bikes in the parking, every one likes Ice Cream dont they!!

#20 ·
I Scream, You scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream!! :crzy:

Somebody Give Me A CHEEEEZBURRRGERRRR!!! cheers:

Dude's from Jersey, give him a break! thumb up

At least he had a choke with his Ice Cream! :ltr:

#22 ·
he basically told he doesn't know how to ride man. He goes around the block parks on front of a pizzeria and stares at it LOL.

#21 ·
Hey note what does being from Jersey have to do with it. LOL

#25 ·
I ride every day, every where I go, 20k miles a year. I take off to the mountains every time I get a few days off.

But I'm not a biker.

#26 ·
BeoBob this made it to the 3rd page before you had to go and goof it up! Damn motorcyclist...

By definition we all may be bikers but I'm quite sure that most of us are motorcyclists.

#33 ·
he says he cant even ride it. He bought cause it was nice looking lol.

Sure burn 30k on a bike to sit in the garage lol
I have spent way more divorcing women I wasn't riding.

I mean WAAAY MORE:D

I'd say this guy is a geniuscheers

#34 ·
Hell I have a friend that got his endorsement from an MSF school. Bought a 15k dollar bike for his first bike (I know) and after what hes done to it in the past 3 weeks, it would have been better off left in his garage...For a bike worth twice that much, i'd go from cringing to weeping..

#35 · (Edited)
Are you saying that he totaled it or the opposite, that he has added $15K more of "stuff" to it?

As a point of reference, I also took the MSF class and then bought my first motorcycle EVER 14 months ago and have put 7K miles on it. Mine is a Ness XC ($27K retail). I have not laid it down and have only added highway pegs and changed the windscreen so not all first time riders are like him (whichever way you were trying to outline)

#39 ·
Wow, sounds like the chick that lives next to me. 1st bike gsxr 600 she was scared shitless but she is vain and wants to keep up appearances thats why she got that bike instead of Ninja 250 as I suggested. Also 2 years and still riding a bald front tire and you should see how she rides. FF helmet good, leather jacket good, but sometimes hot shorts and girly shoes /facepalm

Me, I rode a used Virago 535 for 1000 miles b4 I got the Royal Star. Also Im 6'5 about 245 on a tiny ass bike, I didnt care lol

#40 ·
Pretty much NJ, we have quite a few over here like that. My favorite its watching them take off in front of me with the frog legs extended out to the side and wobbling till they get moving and find the pegs... the abrupt rolling stop and bike catch as it goes over and everyone's favorite, the wave and stall in the intersection. CLASSIC!

Yeah, shorts and heals cuz every chick looks sexier with burn marks on their legs. *Smirk* Speaking of bald tires...That's the other thing.. Bike maintenance... Yeesh... I told my buddy. "Find out what kind of oil your bike takes and cross reference the filter and what fasteners it uses so you can find what you need at any autozone, pep boys etc." The puzzled look i got in return just had my eye twitching.

My first bike was my buell (3rd owner), a bit high on displacement for a beginner, but i'm no lightweight and i got it for a steal. I took it easy and did my time on the lot till i could put it exactly where i wanted it. I had 2 controlled drops: once in the lot thank god and once in a toll plaza (damn easy pass popped off and landed right under the back tire as i was rolling in). Its amazing how fast you can yank a 400lb bike up off the ground when your cursing under your breath and dying of embarrassment. A little humble pie never hurt anyone, I guess.

#42 ·
Gee, I started out in the early 80's with a Kawasaki 440LTD. For 2 years it was my only transportation. I even sold it for more than I paid for it.
For the next almost 30 years, I had various trucks. Then . . .wac

In April I bought a pair a Hyosung 250's; one new (mine) and one used (for my girl). We both took the MSF course. She didn't pass. A neighbor and I tried to teach her to ride. She just couldn't get it. After she put her feet down while going about 15mph and wrenched her knee pretty good, she just gave up trying to learn how to ride. The shop I got the bikes from is owned by a friend so he was willing to take her bike back and we only lost $100 on the bike, plus the MSF course fee, and tag/title/tax. Not too bad, but I was a bit disappointed that she just didn't have the confidence to ride.
Another reason the shop owner gave me such a good deal on selling her bike back was I purchased a 2012 Cross Country Tour from him. I picked it up the day after my birthday, so it was kinda my birthday present to myself. I kept the new 250 for myself also.
This brings us up to now . . .
After having the XCT for about 2 months, I've only put about 1500 miles on it. It's kinda hard to ride in 110+ temps. The 250 just doesn't put out near as much heat, so actually makes a better commuter bike (also now has about 1500 miles on it). If I'm only going to and from work, I take the 250 most of the time. If I'm going further than 10 miles one way, or am going to be on a highway for more than a couple of miles, I take the XCT.
I haven't taken any long trips (only a few short ones; 150 miles or less one way) on the XCT. I have NO plans for taking the 250 anywhere out of town. It's strictly an in-town commuter.
It's kinda strange switching out between a 350 lb and a 900 lb bike though. If finances work out just right, I'll be trading the 250 for a Vegas 8-ball next summer. At least then I'll have "somewhat" similar bikes to ride instead of such a drastic difference.

For a new rider, I can't say enough good things about the Hyosung 250's. They're cheap ($2500 new, if you know the shop owner and he's desperate to get rid a 2009 left over with one mile on it), unlimited mileage two year warranty, light weight, and very easy to learn on. Plus, they are styled like another well known American bike maker. They don't look like a 250! They also don't disappear up the crack of my butt like every other 250 out there did (I'm not a small guy 6ft+ 215 lb).
The XCT is more comfortable, and a better bike in every way except for low speed and backing into parking (and that's only because of the weight difference).

Now if I had to do it all over again, what would I do different?
1. Get a girl that can ride? Naw, I kinda like this one . . .thumb up
2. Start with a Vic instead of a small rice burner? Nope, I just didn't have the skill or confidence needed to ride an XCT (or a Vegas) right off.
3. Well, I guess I would do just about the same as I did . . .

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to itcheers

#43 ·
...and one used (for my girl). We both took the MSF course. She didn't pass. A neighbor and I tried to teach her to ride. She just couldn't get it. ...I purchased a 2012 Cross Country Tour
Another reason to keep your XC is that you girl can ride on the back of it, right? Maybe if she rides enough with you, she will get a better "feel" and want to ride that 250 after all, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.