Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been laid up since December and went to take the bike to get it inspected for the year.... and no Horn. I have no idea what to check first. I haven't changed anything since I last rode in December when the horn worked. do you guys have any ideas i can try to get it working?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
First, check the fuse. If good, then remove the horn connectors and hook up a test light to them. If it lights when pressing the button, you'll know the problem is the horn and needs to be replaced. Auto supply stores have disc type horns, some even louder than stock. Or this is a good time to go with a real loud aftermarket type.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. checked the fuse, its fine. do i check the horn connectors at the horn itself?

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
Yes sir. That way, you'll know if there is power at the connectors or not. If not, there's a break in the wiring and then you test to see if its the hot wire or the ground. To test for the hot wire, connect test light to the hot wire and the other lead to a bike ground--the battery (-) post if its available. To test for the ground, connect one lead of the test light to a known + source and the other to a ground.

·
Registered
471 Posts
My horn stopped working a month ago, turned out to be corroded connectors at the horn. Scrape them clean and apply dielectric grease and good to go

Reactions: JT12

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
All good points and help I read above ... Hope OP coinflip can fix his horn ..

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
LOL you all go for test light make sure power at horn etc. Me I probably would have went the hot wire from battery to horn, if it goes beep work my way back. Should get same answer, just different attack angle.

Reactions: JT12

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys. It ended up being the horn itself, it wouldn't power when connected directly to the battery. Since I have the dealer warranty, I let them throw a new Horn in there for me.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. It ended up being the horn itself, it wouldn't power when connected directly to the battery. Since I have the dealer warranty, I let them throw a new Horn in there for me.
I would get rid of the road runner horn and put an air horn on it.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts