Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Vegas 8-Ball with a little over 4000 miles on it. The spedo just stopped displaying what gear I am in. It shows the N when it is in Neutral but only shows a - when in any other gear. Everything else on the seedo works good. The bike seems to be running pretty good, however the clutch has been slipping a bit recently. I suspect that the problem with the slipping is that I went with Mobile 1 V-Twin oil instead of Vic oil on the last oil change. I am trying to decide if I need to make the 2 hour ride to my closest dealership to have them diagnose the issue with the gear display (Same reason I went with Mobil instead of Vic Oil). Honestly, if it does not indicate a larger issue I can probably live with it. What do you all think? Looking through the service manual I am not even sure what is used to determine what gear you are in.

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have a 2011 Vegas 8-Ball with a little over 4000 miles on it. The spedo just stopped displaying what gear I am in. It shows the N when it is in Neutral but only shows a - when in any other gear. Everything else on the seedo works good. The bike seems to be running pretty good, however the clutch has been slipping a bit recently. I suspect that the problem with the slipping is that I went with Mobile 1 V-Twin oil instead of Vic oil on the last oil change. I am trying to decide if I need to make the 2 hour ride to my closest dealership to have them diagnose the issue with the gear display (Same reason I went with Mobil instead of Vic Oil). Honestly, if it does not indicate a larger issue I can probably live with it. What do you all think? Looking through the service manual I am not even sure what is used to determine what gear you are in.

Thanks for your help!
The first thing I would check is the gear indicator connector - make sure it's plugged in. Unplug it and plug it back, and make sure it clicks in place. I have highlighted it for you below to make it easier to identify.
gear-indicator.JPG
If that does not fix it, you will likely have to replace it. Is your bike still under warranty? If yes, have your local dealer handle it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Where on the bike is this located CR?
On the Cross bikes it's tucked behind the rear cylinder (top of the crankcase).

·
12,972 Posts
Victory8Baller
Please add your state and model of bike. I could be just down the road to come over and help you. Ya never know where a helping hand might be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just updated my profile. Looks like the problem is the gear position switch. It looks a bit different than the pic from the cross roads but that gave me what I needed to find it in the service manual (thanks!). Luckily the bike is still under warranty. I called the claims service and it turns out that one of the 'we sell everything but Harley' shops down the road is now a Victory dealer as well. Guess I will take it to them and have them replace it. I am a little nervous since I prefer to do all the work myself but I don't think the insurance will cover the part if I fix it myself. :D

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Just updated my profile. Looks like the problem is the gear position switch. It looks a bit different than the pic from the cross roads but that gave me what I needed to find it in the service manual (thanks!). Luckily the bike is still under warranty. I called the claims service and it turns out that one of the 'we sell everything but Harley' shops down the road is now a Victory dealer as well. Guess I will take it to them and have them replace it. I am a little nervous since I prefer to do all the work myself but I don't think the insurance will cover the part if I fix it myself. :D
Yeah, it's minor repair, does not require any parts removed (other than side panels), so you can trust them with it. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Does anyone know the outcome of this? I seem to have developed the same issue... Also my turn signal/horn/low fuel light fuse keeps blowing. Going to check battery cables and go from there. This is on my 13 Highball not my 14 XC.

·
12,972 Posts
Does anyone know the outcome of this? I seem to have developed the same issue... Also my turn signal/horn/low fuel light fuse keeps blowing. Going to check battery cables and go from there. This is on my 13 Highball not my 14 XC.
If your blowing fuses you must have a bear wire or a pinched wire.
What have you done to your bike

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lol not sure where to start on that list VJ...

PCV, S&S intake, timing wheel, exhaust, front LED & rear signals, judge headlight, exhaust, lowered 1", 1/4 throttle, ness grips... Check front signal connections they are good. Checked rear they are good. Thinking it maybe something up in the headlight housing... Those wires are stuffed in there tight.

·
12,972 Posts
maybe bear wire under the fender or look under the seat

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Thank you VJ I am searching as we speak. I have a guy coming to buy it tomorrow and don't want to sell it to him with an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts