Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I asked my dealer order a 49-state 2 into 1 pipe and he called back saying they are no longer available--which is why our online-access catalog says "Temporarily Unavailable, See Dealer." His Dealer catalog says they are no longer available--even for grandfathered bikes.

That was disappointing enough, (I can't tell you how much I resent paying for ANY California regulatory foolishness); but what really frosted me was that, despite this new corporate edict, the new Tri-Power setup, which is 50-states, is only available for the past two model years. The hitch being that the mapping (firmware) for that pipe is not written for older models (according to post here).

So much for corporate-marketing genius and their slavish dedication to the buffoons of Sacramento. What weenies. :crzy:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
So, what does that mean for an owner of a 2009 who wants a 2 into 1 set up without voiding the warranty?

Can I order the RPW Thor myself, take them to the dealer and have the dealer do the install? Or will they only install/adjust Victory pipes?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
None of it means anything to anybody. You can map an 08 as either. It does not matter what it says on the box, and ALL Vic pipes have had cats in them since 06.
As for aftermarket pipes. You won't void your warrenty; as long as they are reasonable. However none of the aftermarket stuff will pass any type of govt. test anywhere.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
So, what does that mean for an owner of a 2009 who wants a 2 into 1 set up without voiding the warranty?

Can I order the RPW Thor myself, take them to the dealer and have the dealer do the install? Or will they only install/adjust Victory pipes?
I don't know about other dealers but we install all pipes. We will order them from say RPW for you then put them on the bike once they get in. We do that with all bikes and pipes just have to give the dealership you go to a call.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Couple of Issues...

First, Most dealers will not install parts you purchased elsewhere.

As for warranty issues, talk to the dealer. Mine, after giving me the news and discussing options to avoid Cali-regulated pipes, told me he can order and install Bassani 2:1 pipes, but that I would need a Power Commander (total $1120+). He added that these would NOT void my warranty. I did not ask how valid my warranty would be if I had Lloydz install the same setup.....

Bottom line: If you want to avoid warranty claim hassles (and they are manifold), buy your OEM or after-market tricks from the dealer.

(Heck, my BMW dealer won't even work on non-BMWs HE retailed used!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I started second guessing myself on the MN laws; I know they stopped testing for emissions quite awhile ago, but sound? So I went to Splatt's and found this:

Muffler: Muffler required. No modification to increase noise beyond the levels stipulated

Decibels/Maximum Sound: Max A-weighted sound level ranges from 80-90dBA measured at 50 feet

But the sales guy at the dealer, when I asked about options for increasing sound, said "Just tell me what you want and I can do it." Let me hear stage 1 and stage 2 bikes on the lot. Said he could do more than that if I wanted. So, I am not really sure there is any enforcement of those regs.

·
13,038 Posts
There trying to cover there ass. Most exhaust manufacturers say for off road use only.

That way you get a ticket you can't go back to the dealer or manufacture

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
First, Most dealers will not install parts you purchased elsewhere.

As for warranty issues, talk to the dealer. Mine, after giving me the news and discussing options to avoid Cali-regulated pipes, told me he can order and install Bassani 2:1 pipes, but that I would need a Power Commander (total $1120+). He added that these would NOT void my warranty. I did not ask how valid my warranty would be if I had Lloydz install the same setup.....

Bottom line: If you want to avoid warranty claim hassles (and they are manifold), buy your OEM or after-market tricks from the dealer.

(Heck, my BMW dealer won't even work on non-BMWs HE retailed used!
Talked to our service department about this. He told me that they will put on a parts that are bought else where. The economy is hitting the smaller dealerships pretty hard. so this might be a way to get them to sell some things. Also he said that this will not effect your warranty with victory at all. Just to let you know from the dealer itself. thumb up

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We will install parts brought in by a customer; as long as it will nopt put us in a liability bind.
That said a fuel controller may not void your factory first year warrenty, but it CAN void the insurance policy on years 2 through 5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts