Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I could count on at least one Victory dealership hosting a truck full of new Vic's to ride at least once a year and usually twice.

In looking at the main Victory site nowadays I see they have some demo rides and major events but no longer have the demo ride trucks that go all over the country depending on the time of year and weather. The South would get them in the Spring and Fall and the North would get them in the Summer.

Are you all seeing the same thing where you are? I ask because I really wanted to ride the new Octane but it looks like you have to be actively looking to buy a bike for that to happen unless it is at one of the few major events which are mostly in the East and at Sturgis.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Victory was at the IMS show in Phoenix as well as Indian. I rode a Highball as I will every chance I get. I rode a Chieftain as well, love the motor, but my XC has more room.

I do recall offering up an invite to meet me there in an email conversation... ;)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Maybe Victory feels they are not getting the return in business for the expenditure of the demo rides ..... Prolly boils down to simple math . But I would hate to see them go away , I have done 2 of them , its great camaraderie , food , and meeting new friends .

·
Registered
289 Posts
The dealer pays a great deal of the cost associated with the demo truck at their location. Maybe they don't see the value.......

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Maybe Victory feels they are not getting the return in business for the expenditure of the demo rides ..... <snip>
But "if you ride one, you will buy one". They wouldn't be fibbing to us would they?

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The dealer pays a great deal of the cost associated with the demo truck at their location. Maybe they don't see the value.......
Yep , good point also jmlmjmjmjmjmjm .

Reactions: broggyr

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Victory was at the IMS show in Phoenix as well as Indian. I rode a Highball as I will every chance I get. I rode a Chieftain as well, love the motor, but my XC has more room.

I do recall offering up an invite to meet me there in an email conversation... ;)
And I appreciate the invite. I'm speaking more to the dealership sponsored demo rides they used to do. As John said though; the dealership pays most of the cost. I think I remember hearing it cost the dealership $1400 plus drinks and food.

Yeah. They must figure they get a better return on letting people ride the bike the dealership has. The only thing about that is who knows how many people rode the bike before you and how they rode it before you bought it unless they have a dedicated demo bike for every model which seems highly unlikely for most the smaller dealerships. I mean; can a bike even be considered new anymore if even one person rode it before you did other than the shop staff that is.

·
13,263 Posts
I live 3 miles from a pretty good size dealer. I have a friend that volunteers to lead the demo rides. For the most part i think he sits around a lot. Demo rides are always during the workweek and most guys don't want to give up pay to take a test ride.
We have a dealer here Mies and their super huge in the Vic and Indian line. They have demo days on Saturday and get a good 150 or more guys that want to ride. The test rides go non stop for 8 hours and the hot dogs and pop go very fast. They have had the Ness family there each time. But come monday I don't think they sold more than maybe 5 bikes.
You think of how much that semi coast and insurance on it and the driver along with the fuel can't be cheap. I'm sure Polaris/Vic gets to write some of it off but still not a good return on their money.
Vic will be farther ahead having dealer give test rides. Now with Vic being more popular do they really need demo days.
Last year I wanted to test ride the then new Empulse. They had one but no test rides.
Seeing how the Octane is not do out till next year I doubt you could of rode one this year

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So how do you justify buying what is really a used bike at new bike prices if a bunch of people rode it before you did?

Dealerships should be getting the New Octane anytime now Johnny.

I know the demo trucks of bikes are expensive. I'm just saying it was something I really liked doing and I will miss it. It's one thing to talk about some bike or another going by looks and specs. It's an entirely different thing to have the experience of riding them and having personal experience to go by. How many people will never ride the Empulse or Octane because they simply never got the chance who would've if the demo trucks were still rolling?

It may not pencil out to the bean counters or marketers but word of mouth is huge and this takes much of it away. Sad.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I was in Tempe for three weeks last month. On my way to Meteor Crater, I passed a Vic demo truck going the other way...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just wondering on those demo rides, Has any one ever dropped a bike or seen someone drop one...??? Seems like its gotta happen with so many people trying bikes that their not falmillar with...

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Just wondering on those demo rides, Has any one ever dropped a bike or seen someone drop one...??? Seems like its gotta happen with so many people trying bikes that their not falmillar with...
The demo truck is usually pretty stocked up with the normal stuff, levers, pegs, mirrors for what ever is on the truck at that time. If its really bad, the driver usually calls in to Vic directly and they next day the part out to that dealership or to the next dealer on the schedule.

We had the truck here for a Fri/Sat event and a rider dumped a CCT, Vic next day/Saturday delivered all the parts he needed. Same with the Indian truck.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I help at the Victory of Mesa demos here. A few years back a guy on a Vision crashed into the building while coming back into the parking lot. It did a lot of damage to the bike, and the guy left in an ambulance. A year later a Lawyer for the guy was trying to get a lawsuit going. I'm not sure how that turned out.
The owner told me at the last demo that he has to sell 2 or 3 bikes to break even after a demo, can't remember the exact number. He also said that a few people who don't buy right at the demo, end up coming back a little later and buy a bike. He believes the demos pay off for him.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I help at the Victory of Mesa demos here. A few years back a guy on a Vision crashed into the building while coming back into the parking lot. It did a lot of damage to the bike, and the guy left in an ambulance. A year later a Lawyer for the guy was trying to get a lawsuit going. I'm not sure how that turned out.
The owner told me at the last demo that he has to sell 2 or 3 bikes to break even after a demo, can't remember the exact number. He also said that a few people who don't buy right at the demo, end up coming back a little later and buy a bike. He believes the demos pay off for him.
Have to sign a wavier for a reason, same goes for us, might do two or three bikes, or a week later another one, we had a bunch of trade ins that accompany it as well

·
Registered
566 Posts
I was also wondering if they canned the demos this year, but it sounds like the demo truck is still out there running around?! But then how do you know the places it goes if they aren't published on the Victory home page?!

Seems strange...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I road a XCT at a demo in Ocala, FL and 1 year later owned three of them. Unfortunately for Victory, I bought all three of them used with low mileage. Two were from Victory dealers and one from an individual but neither of the dealers were the one in Ocala that held the demo days.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I road a XCT at a demo in Ocala, FL and 1 year later owned three of them. Unfortunately for Victory, I bought all three of them used with low mileage. Two were from Victory dealers and one from an individual but neither of the dealers were the one in Ocala that held the demo days.

G'day,

Vinish
I bet you got good deals though.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Yeah, I've done probably 3 of the demo rides; all at dealer demos, not rallys. And I ended up buying a new CC. I know the owner here has the Indian demo truck coming in May but it's not on the calendar on the Indian site. Maybe they aren't releasing the dealer demo's on the website?

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good points. I bought my XC brand new from the dealer who held the demo days event. In fact I bought an older but still new Jackpot then 4 months later traded it in on the XC. They actually made a lot more money off me than if I had been smarter about the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts