Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to like riding my bike at night. Not any more!

There are too many idiots out there now on the two lanes with the leds and the multi-layered blueish looking iris burners. They are so bright, I have to look away at the last minute.

I'm talking about cars and trucks... they install these things and do not have them properly adjusted so their reach is too high and too far. I'll blink my brights thinking they have their high beams on and then they will blink me back blinding me.

It's too much work and no fun now on the two lanes at night. It's bad enough looking out for critters and then having to try and prevent being blinded by the light.

I want oncoming traffic to be able to see me, not kill me.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Chances are, those super-bright lights are the LED bulbs sitting in an enclosure that was never made for LED lights. Due to the type of light they produce, you need an insane amount of light to be thrown on the road to see, but blind the hell out of oncoming traffic. I have one, but it's on high-beam only. I have HID in the low beam, but I want to get the Vic LED light.

Then you got those kids with the red/green/blue lights, all of which were a big no-no when I was growing up...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quite a few upscale cars come stranded with those annoying lights. In a few years all new cars will have them.. I limit my night driving to some extent, Mostly because as i get older so do the eyes.. Just a fact of life.
Discretion is the better part of valor.. If you feel unsafe riding at night your doing the right thing by not riding..

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I feel ya Dill! I live out in the county with lots of hills and curves (as least a lot as Indiana goes) and have too been blinded by the HID in non-HID housings. They come around a curve and hit my eyes right where I need to be looking. They are illegal, but I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble for them.
As far as upscale cars having them, they are designed to have a cutoff line from the factory. The ones that are "swapped out" have no way of focusing the beam.
Sucks to not feel safe because of someone else's stupidity.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a car/truck the other night about 3/4 miles behind me on a two lane. I swear it had the brightest lights ever. I managed to keep far enough ahead of it but it really surprised me. The idgit wasn't even dimming as a car approached it.

I feel sorry for older folks that have to be out on those roads and lots of older people live out in the boonies. What if it is raining on their way home at night? Great! I just need something else to worry about.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had plenty of cagers flash me so I flash'm back. I lowered my head light a bit and haven't been flashed since with my lows on. I luv my Vision lights. Stock headlight and driving light but clear led turns that turn amber when flasher is on.
My old Honda Shadow, I couldn't see two seconds in front of me. That was scary with no cars around.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Bright lights are a fact of life in this day and age, even the tail lights are töo bright for my liking sitting behind a modern car with its foot on the brake emitting glare!
Admittedly the headlights are the worst.
At least with my Victory HID a flash of my high beam usually gets em to dim.
In days of old..... well hang on...its here now and we just gotta fuggin live with it.
Im not giving up my nightriding.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There was a car/truck the other night about 3/4 miles behind me on a two lane. I swear it had the brightest lights ever. I managed to keep far enough ahead of it but it really surprised me. The idgit wasn't even dimming as a car approached it.

I feel sorry for older folks that have to be out on those roads and lots of older people live out in the boonies. What if it is raining on their way home at night? Great! I just need something else to worry about.
You were on bike or in your car?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were on bike or in your car?
of course on the bike... car has a self-dimming rear view mirror

my complaint is about riding the bike and my amazement at just how bright these lights have gotten. And MBX is right about tail lights. I'm sure all this brightness saves lives but is hard on us night riders.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm thinking [I really should stop that] But if someone driving a car/truck needs those extra bright lights to see at night, Maybe' just maybe they shouldn't be driving at night... :wink

And just to add they are installing all this so called safety stuff on cars/trucks so any incompetent nimrod can get on the road instead of actually learning how to drive...Power steering - power brakes and auto trans should be outlawed, That will alone will eliminate half of the incompetent nimrods from our roads...

·
Registered
132 Posts
of course on the bike... car has a self-dimming rear view mirror

my complaint is about riding the bike and my amazement at just how bright these lights have gotten. And MBX is right about tail lights. I'm sure all this brightness saves lives but is hard on us night riders.
Just wondered. No box to breathe in to on the bike I guess?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It comes with age too. Anti glare coating on glasses helps but not a cure all. Avoiding looking directly at them and focus on the reflectors, if they have them, and you'll do much better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A couple months ago, wife and I are headed homewards. Coming around a curve, I am suddenly absolutely blinded by oncoming headlights. Noticed oncoming car was going slow as it was not closing with me at normal speed. Instantly suspected something in road and probably deer. Brake on about the time I saw the deer disappearing into the trees about 50 ft up the road to my right. Wife said she thought he heard the guy honking at me. Makes no diff as I am hard of hearing, anyway. Point is, THE SOB HAD HIS BRIGHTS ON AND I COULD NOT SEE A THING! WTF?? Do not remember being blinded like that since I left Germany many years ago. They have some POWERFUL night lights there that turn the night to day! Anyways, just wanted to rant a little:grin
Happy New Year, everybody!
Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a car once that had the super bright blueish lights from the factory. I didn't realize it when I bought it though. A couple days after picking it up I drove at night for the first time. When the headlights slowly powered up I said, "Oh no! I have a$$hole lights!"

I like the yellow tinted glasses for riding at night. They seem to help me with the glare situation. In my area we have the added issue of numerous people with absurd lifted trucks that put the headlights aimed at your head.

·
13,251 Posts
Dill try glass's with yellow lens. They just might do the trick for you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts