Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have been looking for a dot helmet that doesnt make me look like a mushroom head! safety is number 1 for me but damn cant find a decent helmet. i bought a daytona half helmet it just sits to high on my head and looks so stupid! i have a little bigger forehead and a xl head !! any help would be great on what helmets wont make me look like a blank blank goin down the road...

·
Registered
567 Posts
ok i have been looking for a dot helmet that doesnt make me look like a mushroom head! safety is number 1 for me but damn cant find a decent helmet. i bought a daytona half helmet it just sits to high on my head and looks so stupid! i have a little bigger forehead and a xl head !! any help would be great on what helmets wont make me look like a blank blank goin down the road...
You stated "safety is number 1" if you want safety as a primary consideration (you won't like this... LOL) then go with a full face helmet....Next best thing would be a "modular" (Nolan makes a nice one)..I have a modular that I wear quite a bit but around town and shorter rides I succumb to a "German style" DOT approved helmet....can't get away from "the look"....LOL cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
I totally agree with Paul on this. If you have safety in mind, then you'd NEVER consider anything except a full face helmet.

Choosing anything else is absurd if you want safety. Halfies are great for holding your hair in place though.

If you're ready to protect yourself, let us know, I know I'd be more than happy to offer some guidance in choosing a quality helmet.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I totally agree with Paul on this. If you have safety in mind, then you'd NEVER consider anything except a full face helmet.

Choosing anything else is absurd if you want safety. Halfies are great for holding your hair in place though.

If you're ready to protect yourself, let us know, I know I'd be more than happy to offer some guidance in choosing a quality helmet.
Hey Bandit are you in the business..? Looking for another lid for my daughter....wac

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
If you have safety in mind, then you'd NEVER consider anything except a full face helmet.
LOL... if you want safety, then why do you ride? Stick to a cage. Full face will protect more than a 3/4 and a 3/4 more than a half, nobody's arguing that fact. But we should just leave it at that, and not suggest that a full helmet provides safety. There is no such thing when you're on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ya i will give u that with a half helmet safety isnt number 1 , but i like to be protected alittle.. just looking for suggestions what everywhere is wearing and how they like the fit and so on!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
The problem with helmets is that I've noticed they are mostly for people with round heads. If your head is oblong shaped you will have a difficult time.

I'm one of those that wears a brain bucket and it doesn't present a problem with fit.

Even though I've never had one I heard some Bell Helmets fit well. I had a Scorpion and it was very comfortable. Its a full face.

·
Registered
567 Posts
LOL... if you want safety, then why do you ride? Stick to a cage. Full face will protect more than a 3/4 and a 3/4 more than a half, nobody's arguing that fact. But we should just leave it at that, and not suggest that a full helmet provides safety. There is no such thing when you're on 2 wheels.
If you ride like everyone is out to kill you then you stand a better chance..Like the saying there are only 2 kinds of motorcyclist...those that have wiped out and those that will wipe out...helmet wise..SAFEST is full face. But it is dangerous to cross the road...does that mean you won't do it...?wac

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey Bandit are you in the business..? Looking for another lid for my daughter....wac
No, not at all, but I try to stay in touch with all the places that offer the best pricing, so if after your questions are answered, you need to buy, I'm happy to share the links to the best prices and video reviews (if they have indeed been reviewed).

Then why not ride barefoot in only shorts and a t-shirt then?

;)

Yes, riding a bike means you lack the safety of driving a car, but I'm not making that comparison. Might as well say that driving in a car is less safe than staying home, so why would you leave the house?

But there are protective measures in place to HELP us protect our lives. Law enforcement statistics report that most motorcycle fatalities happen due to head/face trauma. Those fatalities are generally from those not wearing a helmet, not wearing a full face helmet, or not wearing a quality helmet.

With a quality, high end Snell or ECE approved full face helmet, you get the maximum in protection, and are infinitely more likely to live through a severe crash than if you wore a 3/4 or halfie.

What would a 3/4 or halfie do here... in one of the most COMMON types of motorcycle collisions?

·
Registered
782 Posts
The problem with helmets is that I've noticed they are mostly for people with round heads. If your head is oblong shaped you will have a difficult time.

I'm one of those that wears a brain bucket and it doesn't present a problem with fit.

Even though I've never had one I heard some Bell Helmets fit well. I had a Scorpion and it was very comfortable. Its a full face.

Many helmets made by Shoei, Scorpion, Icon and Shark fit more of the oblong shape. I am a HUGE Arai fan, but cannot wear them because they lean more towards round shapes :mad:

Sites like helmetharbor.com do reviews and list the head shape that best fits in the reviewed helmet, I have found them quite helpful.

·
Registered
567 Posts
No, not at all, but I try to stay in touch with all the places that offer the best pricing, so if after your questions are answered, you need to buy, I'm happy to share the links to the best prices and video reviews (if they have indeed been reviewed).

Then why not ride barefoot in only shorts and a t-shirt then?

;)

Yes, riding a bike means you lack the safety of driving a car, but I'm not making that comparison. Might as well say that driving in a car is less safe than staying home, so why would you leave the house?

But there are protective measures in place to HELP us protect our lives. Law enforcement statistics report that most motorcycle fatalities happen due to head/face trauma. Those fatalities are generally from those not wearing a helmet, not wearing a full face helmet, or not wearing a quality helmet.

With a quality, high end Snell or ECE approved full face helmet, you get the maximum in protection, and are infinitely more likely to live through a severe crash than if you wore a 3/4 or halfie.

What would a 3/4 or halfie do here... in one of the most COMMON types of motorcycle collisions?

Helmet isn't going to help here unless it is to keep all the parts in one place...I run Fire/Rescue and have been to one or two of these...Not pretty...Yes, looking for a lid for my daughter...thinking of the Nolan 103....thanks any information appreciated wac

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Nolan 103 is a pretty decent lid actually. Bear in mind that all modulars are HEAVY, and this one is one of the heaviest. Airflow is decent, but not spectacular from the reviews I've seen.

Others to consider that might give you a bit more:

Scorpion EXO-900 (I own this one myself) gives you a flipdown inner sunvisor, and the inflatable cheek pads/neckroll to custom tailor the fit and reduce wind noise. ALL modulars are noisy, but this one is the quietest.

Keep in ind that all modulars are heavy, noisy, and you can;t ride with the face flipped up due to how high the face area goes up in the air.... BUT those rules are out the window if you look at the Shark Evoline 2.

Full face protection when you want it, open air 3/4 when you want it, all without removing anything. The front imply slides back over the top and LOCKS into place in the rear. Also creates perfect aerodynamics when locks front or back! AND includes the inner sunvisor you can use in any of the configurations. I also believe it is right now the lightest in weight of all flip-ups.

Here's an excellent review of it:

·
Registered
782 Posts
BTW: My post was not to talk you out of the Nolan, just to offer you more selections that you might not have known about. Nolan makes a good helmet.

I have found a number of negative reviews of it though that you should at least be aware of:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349660

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45880

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=29012.0

I dig the system Nolan uses on the inner sunvisor as well as the extra-secure opening mechanism for the flip-front (it's a 2 stage). While some have complained about smaller nuances of the helmet, I think it's nice. Would I prefer a Shoei Multi-Tec or Shark evoline 2? Yes, but it really is a personal preference.

One thing to note however, almost all modulars are simpy DOT, which as you know means almost nothing. The Scorpion is ECE rated. Shark Evoline 2... The only helmet carrying a double full-face & jet ECE22-05 homologation

·
Registered
148 Posts
So….. What’s a good half helmet? If I want complete safety I’ll ride something with doors and airbags. I just want to avoid the Gary Busey thing? Some of the carbon fiber lids seem like they can tolerate a catastrophic deceleration.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
So….. What’s a good half helmet? If I want complete safety I’ll ride something with doors and airbags. I just want to avoid the Gary Busey thing? Some of the carbon fiber lids seem like they can tolerate a catastrophic deceleration.
After digging around to find the same answer your seeking, I've arrived to the conclusion that that one helmet won't be much stronger than another - sure they'll be different, but not that much when it comes to impact resistance.

So what are you to look for then? There is one helmet that will fit your egg better than the other ones. It could be that the cheaper, no-name-brand helmet is the one that fits better, and you should get the one that hugs your head best. What good is a bullet proof helmet if it won't stay on your head when you crash (see youtube videos for plenty of helments flying through the air after impact, leaving the riders head to take the impact on its own).

Unfortunately, I have not found any good local place to try on many helmets. HD dealers have some selection, while Vic dealers usually will carry 2-3 half helmets at the most. If anybody knows some helmet outlet they could recommend, please do. I'd like to walk into a store and try like a dozen different helmets before I buy another one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see i have the same problem i need to find a shop where i can try on a dozen or more different styles and fit! i bought mine and hate it so i may try a local leather shop that has a few different styles! i know the risks of wearing and not wearing a helmet just asking for sugestions! everyone has different thinking about helmets and saftey! if u get in a crash like that one in the picture ur dead helmet or not just a choice of open casket or closed>>

·
Registered
567 Posts
BTW: My post was not to talk you out of the Nolan, just to offer you more selections that you might not have known about. Nolan makes a good helmet.

I have found a number of negative reviews of it though that you should at least be aware of:

I dig the system Nolan uses on the inner sunvisor as well as the extra-secure opening mechanism for the flip-front (it's a 2 stage). While some have complained about smaller nuances of the helmet, I think it's nice. Would I prefer a Shoei Multi-Tec or Shark evoline 2? Yes, but it really is a personal preference.

One thing to note however, almost all modulars are simpy DOT, which as you know means almost nothing. The Scorpion is ECE rated. Shark Evoline 2... The only helmet carrying a double full-face & jet ECE22-05 homologation
Not at all...in fact I found some positive and some negative reviews on the Shark and the Scorpion as well.....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Helmet might survive but what about the melon inside of it...? I work with trauma victims...the brain is not attached to any structure inside of the shell we call a skull...so it bounces around when jarred due to impact and sudden deceleration...thus brain injury and death may soon follow....true, I give it to you that the only true safe method of this game is to simply not play...Now, you and I both know that this is not the answer we choose to hear....LOL...thumb up

·
Registered
567 Posts

Actually Bandit...ALL modular helmets are DOT...they donot meet requirements for snell.....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts