Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum for any issues on loosing power during acceleration but didn't see one. I have a 2014 XC with stage 1 kit pre-installed. It was a nice day today, went out for a while and as I took the ramp on to the highway, I noticed an obvious lack of power during acceleration or should I say, a huge power hesitation. As I reeve it to accelerate, the rpm jumped really high then the power slowly picks up. But if I slowly accelerate, it does ok. Not sure if I'm making any sense but it was too obvious that I am loosing power during quick acceleration. Still under warranty but is anybody aware of this issue with our bikes. I appreciate your inputs. Ride safe...

AL

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You describe your RPM's as rising a lot but your speed not picking up commensurately. This means that something is slipping. It is not the wheel on the ground and very unlikely to be the belt on either "sprocket" so the only other place it could slip is the clutch. It sounds to me like your clutch is slipping. Have you done anything to it lately such as installing a clutch pull relief or adjusted the lever? Check your clutch lever freeplay and make sure it agrees with the specs in the manual. You absolutely must have a little freeplay in the clutch lever.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
160 Posts
If your rpms shoot up when on the throttle hard and bike does not accelerate your clutch is slipping if adjustment does not help bring it in for warrenty.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
yep clutch slipping

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
yep clutch slipping
Unanimous on the slipping clutch.
How much freeplay have you got?
Im guessing you got none!
Clean them cable ends, lubricate em with moly lube and get 1/16" to 1/8" freeplay at the handle bar lever when you pull the puter cable clear of the lever.
I slip a 2mm Allen key in to check as its midway between the MAX and min

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unanimous answers from you all...

You're all right, I did just installed an easy clutch pull from witchdoctors, and hardly any slack on the cable. I just swap it back to stock for now but the next question is, if I had some slack with the easy clutch pull, after going into 1st gear, get going and pull on clutch again, feels like the bike still want to move forward. I tried readjusting but no luck that's how I ended up with no slack. Easy pull sounds great but if it causes it to slip, then I stick with the stock setting. Thoughts ? Thanks again, I know I can rely on this forum. Ride safe...

AL

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
with the easy pull clutch adjustment is very critical.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
with the easy pull clutch adjustment is very critical.
EXTREMELY CRITICAL ...I have one on my Vegas and it's great.
BUT if you're lazy about cleaning lubing and adjusting then Id say go back to stock set-up.
However if you are willing to check it at least at every 5000 mile oil change then you'll be ok with it.
As I've mentioned a few times on here mines set at 2mm which is midway between factory 1/16" and the Arizona Victory You tube vids 1/8"

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Damn...before you all jumped in with your clutch diagnosis...I was sure ABC was riding an HD

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Be VERY CAREFUL with the ez pull part. Probably best if you don't use it at all. Some folks use it and will continue to use it but they understand just how critical it is to have the adjustment dead on. It's not just a one time adjustment with that part though, you'll have to periodically check it and tweak here and there over time as the miles wear on. With it out of adjustment just a little, you can smoke your clutch before you know it. It's dangerous so if you choose to keep it, be prepared to keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
You're all right, I did just installed an easy clutch pull from witchdoctors, and hardly any slack on the cable. I just swap it back to stock for now but the next question is, if I had some slack with the easy clutch pull, after going into 1st gear, get going and pull on clutch again, feels like the bike still want to move forward. I tried readjusting but no luck that's how I ended up with no slack. Easy pull sounds great but if it causes it to slip, then I stick with the stock setting. Thoughts ? Thanks again, I know I can rely on this forum. Ride safe...

AL
I just did the same thing and had the same issue (my easy pull came from Whitewall Choppers). As said before, the adjustment is very critical. I have played with it before every ride for the last week. Thought I had it perfect yesterday, so I took the wife out for a couple hour ride....nope! Clutch was slipping exactly like you stated. I did a couple turns on the adjustment this morning (adjust it when it's cold) and had no slipping on the way into work this morning. Everything was good to go.

I'm still not sold on it and I may take it off, but I'm going to give it some time and hold off judgment.

·
13,263 Posts
ABC123
and any one ells you can only adjust the clutch when its over night cold. Its very hard to get a good adjustment when its warm and extremely hard to adjust when hot. So only adjust when its cold
Ez pull is not worth the hassle or the price of replacing your clutch.
To bad some one doesn't come up with a different clutch spring.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The easy clutch has a ridiculous small window of adjustment and even so I still don't think you will ever get it perfect. I junked the easy clutch before my bike even left my shop and sold it, it's brutal on clutches if you don't get it close.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Why don't you guys do some hand strengthening exercises instead of frying your clutches .....:D

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Damn...before you all jumped in with your clutch diagnosis...I was sure ABC was riding an HD
As Larry would say...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Why don't you guys do some hand strengthening exercises instead of frying your clutches .....:D
I don't have any issues with mine, just wanted the cover, saw this one and liked it, and it happened to be the easy pull. I'm going to give it a couple weeks before I pass judgment on it. I rarely keep bikes long enough to fry anything, and it's under warranty anyway. That little easy pull can be taken off in about 5 mins or less and no one is the wiser.thumb up

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't have any issues with mine, just wanted the cover, saw this one and liked it, and it happened to be the easy pull. I'm going to give it a couple weeks before I pass judgment on it. I rarely keep bikes long enough to fry anything, and it's under warranty anyway. That little easy pull can be taken off in about 5 mins or less and no one is the wiser.thumb up
The bike may be under warranty but a fried clutch won't be...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I've never owned a bike that had a warranty but I thought that the clutch like the brake pads was a wear part so it was not covered by warranty. But that was just my assumption. I have no actual evidence to back it up or refute it.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 20 of 33 Posts