Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i got a rear flat so I pulled the rear wheel and brought it to get replaced. When I pulled it I took the rear brake off of the mount and kind of took it apart (two bolts and the pads). Now I put the wheel back on and the brake back together and took it out for a short spin to check everything and went to hit the rear brake and it just went all the way down and no braking. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robb

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Pump it a few times while stopped, until you feel resistance in the pedal.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, it didn't seem to work. I'll try it again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Make sure the brake connections are tight and bleed the brakes. It's possible that the assy rotated just enough to loosen the connection and intro air. They will suck in air without a leak.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure the brake connections are tight and bleed the brakes. It's possible that the assy rotated just enough to loosen the connection and intro air. They will suck in air without a leak.
Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. Where can I find instructions on bleeding the brakes? I've never done it myself. What do I need to get?

Thanks,
Robb

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just bled the rear brake and still nothing. :(

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. My buddy came over tonight to take another look at it with me. Even tho there is no pressure in the brake pedal the pistons are moving when it's depressed. It seems like the pistons are coming out too far and the pads are too loose to really grab. When I press the brake pedal the rotor flexes from the pistons coming out but doesnt really grab. With the pistons coming out so far it seems like there is no back pressure bc they come out too far, thus causing the pedal to go all the way down. I think there might be a shim or something missing on the piston side pad. We even bled it again the old way with the pedal to make sure and there wer no air bubbles.
Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Okay. My buddy came over tonight to take another look at it with me. Even tho there is no pressure in the brake pedal the pistons are moving when it's depressed. It seems like the pistons are coming out too far and the pads are too loose to really grab. When I press the brake pedal the rotor flexes from the pistons coming out but doesnt really grab. With the pistons coming out so far it seems like there is no back pressure bc they come out too far, thus causing the pedal to go all the way down. I think there might be a shim or something missing on the piston side pad. We even bled it again the old way with the pedal to make sure and there wer no air bubbles.
Any thoughts?
I posted in the other forum also...the non brembo I believe have a shim or spacer sandwiched between the pad and pistons or caliper. Did you use them on the new pads?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted in the other forum also...the non brembo I believe have a shim or spacer sandwiched between the pad and pistons or caliper. Did you use them on the new pads?
I didn't put new pads in.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems like something is missing. The inside pad is really loose causing the piston side pad to flex the rotor. The inside pad has a shim but the piston pad doesnt.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I also lost my rear brakes... after 2 dealer techs at 2 different dealers bled them without troubleshooting for the underlying problem, I did my own troubleshooting and found a small leak in the pressure switch located just inside the front end. After searching the world over, I found that Surdyke Victory in Festus, MO had the pressure switch in stock and would send it to me for $25 complete... that fixed the problem... forget the warranty and do it yourself.

·
13,031 Posts
Like Kevin said did you leave a pad out? I can't see my pistons to speak of and you can see them move.
Look around and see if there is a pad on the floor or on the bench

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both pads are definately in there. Im taking it to the dealer in a little while so they can look at it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dropped it off at the dealer. They're gonna look at it first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dealer called. Ends up the bracket for the brake caliper is bent. I accidentally bent it putting the wheel back on.
Dumb mistake, lesson learned.
I wasn't paying attention and instead of the rotor going into the slot it was up against the inside. Must have bent it trying to get it back off.
Dealer was nice enough to find me a used one on eBay tho for $80. Instead of $400+ for a new one. as soon as the part gets here it should take less than an hour. Just gotta wait now.
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
I will file this one under dumbass.

Robb

1 - 19 of 19 Posts