Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I went thru a buddies High Ball to try and find out why it wasn't starting and the only thing I could find was the pick up voltage was under spec when you turned bike over. So, he took it to the local dealer and they put it on their diagnostic box and confirmed yes the voltage was too low and then proceeded to put a new pick up on it! And guess what, it doesn't work! So they charged him a bunch of money and he still has a no running bike! So being a fool, I've got in my garage on my lift and I got to figure out what is up with it? I've only had mu XCT for a year so I'm not real up on Vic's but I have been wrenching on bikes for 40 years. However, I am smart enough to ask questions if I don't know something so here goes: exactly how many safety devices are on these things? Things that won't let the bike run if the computer thinks something is wrong? I have checked the tip over switch / clutch switch / kill switch / neutral switch / confirmed the oil pressure switch works / all of the normal things. I am still guessing I am missing something? Hoping someone has some idea's?

·
12,970 Posts
not knowing what year it is or model.
First is the battery any good? I full 12 volts.
Are the battery bolts tight.
Does it turn over?
There is a 40 amp relay behind the battery under a red cover. Is there power going in and coming out when you push the button?
Is the fuel pump any good? Hearing it doesn't mean its giving you 50 psi.
Is the battery ground cable tight to the motor?

I can't believe a dealer couldn't find the problem and get it running.

What is " proceeded to put a new pick up"

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike turns over - battery load tested good - coils are good - the crank sensor pick up resistance is good - but following test in manual it is supposed to read 1.625 - 1.875 volts it only reads 1.54 when cranking over - the new pick up coil installed by dealer does the same - we put another ECU in - same - best I can see is that the signal is being sent to the ECU - but it is not sending a signal to the coils to fire! I am trying to ascertain if there is any safety's in the Victory circuit that would prevent the thing from firing the coils? We are getting fuel - just no spark! I put my Fluke on the coil's input and it is not getting a interrupt signal - checked the wiring back to the harness at the ECU and there is a circuit - so ECU is not telling it to fire! But what is telling the ECU not to fire?

·
12,970 Posts
I thought the ECM was married to the bike. A new one would have to be married to the bike and only the dealer can do that.

Did you go to a real victory dealer? They could not get in running and find the problem with there computer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bonified Polaris Victory / Indian dealer. We have the original ECU back in the bike. They plugged into their computer and then told him everything checks out good except the cam sensor output was low. After that it was $250, $100 for the sensor and $150 for diagnostic and the he walked! So now I offered to try and figure it out! I need to get a Shop manual so I can figure out the ignition circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts