Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Gas squirt; did you connect the fuelhose correctly, it is a irritating connection ?

Whats wrong with your bike Dill ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yea take it apart they are under there. You just have an aftermarket air intake.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to get a little more info on the process. Doesn't look as simple as removing bolts and lid to get to the TB. Mine looks to be all one component.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QOeH1UgzhQc

This video was what I'd assumed I would see. I have a history of mechanically goofing up stuff. The simple always becomes complex.

Does anyone who has tackled this aftermarket setup have some input?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry not familiar with the intake but I doubt it's very difficult. Take you time remove what you can and don't yank on things and you should be fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That looks like a Ness Big Sucker intake. Take the screws off, remove the top plate, TBs are under there.

Clean the air filter at the same time. Looks like a K&N filter, so use their procedure.

I would replace the fuel line while it's apart. Short piece of fuel injection hose from an auto parts store will work and it's cheap. The Vic line is a special shaped hose and a little more expensive, but both are worth it as cheap insurance.

Take your time. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like a Ness Big Sucker intake. Take the screws off, remove the top plate, TBs are under there.

Clean the air filter at the same time. Looks like a K&N filter, so use their procedure.

I would replace the fuel line while it's apart. Short piece of fuel injection hose from an auto parts store will work and it's cheap. The Vic line is a special shaped hose and a little more expensive, but both are worth it as cheap insurance.

Take your time. Good luck.
I don't see that it is a top plate. It looks like it is more contained with a breather hose and wiring harness. This stuff makes me nervous that I'll get in over my head. I have no desire to break my toy. I would have to go to the funny farm if I couldn't ride it. :D

I'm going to jump on it this afternoon and if I don't feel comfortable with what needs to be removed, I'll stop. I see removing the filter as a no-brainer so will see if I can find instructions for cleaning.

Bike has 21,000 miles on it. Filter looks filthy.

·
13,048 Posts
watch the video again. He shows taking the top cover off to get at the throttle bodys. Keep your eye out for cracked rubber plugs or lines.
Take your time watch the video again

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't see that it is a top plate. It looks like it is more contained with a breather hose and wiring harness. .....
You're right, looks like removing the bolts lets you remove the entire air box, exposing the TBs. You will probably have to remove it anyway to get to the screws that hold the filter in place. Just take pictures or make notes of where everything connects.

Here's a few more pics...
http://victory.eurekaboy.com/bigsucker.htm

Cleaning the TBs will give a noticeable performance difference.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I successfully cleaned throttle body, cleaned and re-oiled filter, replaced fuel line(after it leaked all over hot motor), and changed oil/filter.

There is a definite improvement in performance and it idles a little higher as expected.

It was all a GREAT fiasco and learning experience.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The filter screws were pretty loose. I'm thinking this contributed to the loudness I've been hearing from that area.

I'm still amazed this bike takes a gallon and a half of oil. I have always been impressed with this engine and how well it runs.

After I replaced fuel line, it wouldn't crank. I thought that it was out of gas. Turns out the hose was a little long and was crimped.

I took it out on the interstate and ran it between 70 and 85 for about 20 miles. Pickup was exceptional and it purred like it was waiting for me to give it more.

As I've said before in this thread, I am a terrible mechanic and if you guys had watched me all afternoon, you'd laughed your a$$'s off. I think I took the stupid tank off 3 times and dropped screws constantly. I was about 3 blocks away when I discovered fuel line was bad. The engine was smoking from the gas leak and I was about to freak out thinking it was going to engulf in flames.

The only reason I did all of this, I'm planning on keeping this bike for a long time and forcing myself to learn to do this stuff as much as I hate it.

Congrats to Dill!!! I rock... :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sounds like we had more faith in you than you did yourself:rolleyes:. Congrats and glad it all turned out okthumb up

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dont keep us in suspense...tell us how the brake job went.
LOL! I'm chiken... but I'm gonna do it. If you've been reading this thread you'll see how inept I am. I really did not go into all the details of my mess of a day yesterday.

I have taken multiple pics of the brake, read instructions. I know I'll need to get pistons pushed over so wondering if I'll need to loosen fluid nut and attach a hose as stated in instructions or if I can push a flat head down and maneuver pistons over enough to slide pad out and new ones in.

See! I do a lot of thinking and planning and things still do not ever seem to go as planned.

I've only had two easy things happen in my life... making two babies. :ltr::D God gets major kudos for the results. thumb up

I'll make a big deal about brakes once I get it done. Maybe this weekend.

·
13,048 Posts
Pickle
All you need is to have your master cylinder "low" not empty on fluid. Then push the piston in and the fluid will go into the master cylinder.
Now when the breaks are done and you pump the pedal up to firm add fluid.

Pickel
go slow and you can do any thing. Take notes and photos to help you out later. Keep in mind you need a service manual.
All manuals talk to you like you been through mechanical school so they might leave out a word or two.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pickel
go slow and you can do any thing.
You know! This is excellent advice and I truly appreciate IT.

The most pitiful problem with dill... he ain't got no patience!

Cannot find it in my genes, dna, and via prayer. It has cost me dearly!

I promise! I will try. wac

·
Registered
135 Posts
The older I get it seems the less patience I have so I know how you feel dill.

Asi stated before...when j did my brakes it was the 1st time I had ever worked on a bike. The 2 main issues I encountered was figuring out how to remove the pins holding the pads in and reinserting the pins in the rear caliper after driving them all the way out

I thought the pins screwed out as shown in the witch doctor video....once I determined the pins were held in with cotter pins and simply pulled out the rest was a piece of cake....besides reinserting the rear pins.

As noted...do not drive them all the way out and you should have no problem.

I simply inserted a pry bar between the pad and rotor and slowly pried the piston back . Did not take much effort and I simply mashed the brakes a few times when done and have had no problems.

I have never taken my tank off but it seems lil replacing brake pads would be simpler than cleaning throttle bodies.

Good luck ��

1 - 20 of 24 Posts