Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering out those here that own a Victory deal with not having a dealership near you? I am looking long and hard at selling my Yamaha RSV and purchasing Victory Cross Country. I'm in Northern VA and from what I can tell the closest dealer is 90 minutes away. Not everyone here can have a dealer near them can they? How far are you willing to drive to have your bike serviced or warranty work done at a dealer? I really like the bike but need to figure this out first.

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are dealers closer to me, but my travel time to my "trusted" dealer is about 90 minutes. Same as you. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker. Besides, Vics' don't need much work that can't be done yourself.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Most people that don't live close to dealers do their own oil changes which is pretty much it for maint. If you need warranty 90 minutes is reasonable because it will most be for something that doesn't reqire trailering.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I go 120 miles to mine. Makes for a nice Saturday morning ride, just make sure they have service hours on Saturday. Actually have closer dealers, I just go back to the best one that sold me my bike.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I'm just over two hours from my dealer. That was a major concern when started looking at Victory. Crossed my fingers and hoped that wouldn't get a lemon. So far I must say I've been happy with the bike and the dealer. Had them do the 500 mile service as part of the purchase, and had them instal a new rear tire. Have made the ride of couple of other times to buy oil change kits. Trying to keep in touch so they know me as a customer and not just someone who shows up wanting warranty work done.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
There is a dealer 5 minutes from where I live but I will not go there - long story. I instead travel 90 miles to JPM in Hopkinsville, KY for anything I can't do or for warranty work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So when do you pick up your Cross Country? thumb up

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a Jackpot a year ago, dealer was 2hrs away. no problems at all with the bike. I would love to buy a Cross roads and would not think twice about having to drive that far if i had problems. They done the first oil change and I have done rest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys must all be Victory salesmen. Ha. You're doing a good job of selling me. So for those with owning a Victory for some time is there anything you don't like about them and what accessories are a must have?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Someone said it before in a different thread... you've heard of the sons of anarchy? We are the sons of sanity... we ride bikes that handle great, have power to spare, and run forever lol. Always looking for prospects

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
782 Posts
Good news is that you'll have such a reliable bike, that you'll rarely ever need to see a service tech.

But of course it's nice to be able to hop in, shop and buy cool gear/accessories/mods, hang out, and get the occasional service done.

This was 50% of the reason I just bought a new HD Road Glide a couple weeks ago instead of another Victory. I LOVED my Hammer S, but hated the 1.5 hour travel time to my closest good dealership. If you go in for any kind of service, and have to leave the bike... imagine how many times your wife is gonna bitch when she has to follow you there and drive you home... then take you back to pick it up a day or two later.

Another concern is that if you ever do any long distance rides (say, interstate), how far inbetween dealers are you if you blow a tire? Break a clutch cable? Experience any other road issue? With HD, you can throw a stone from one dealer to the next practically. And while they are almost always set up right next to a big freeway, many Vic dealers are in backwoods areas because that's where Polaris/John Deere dealers typically are...

Everyone looks at it differently I suppose.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Just wondering out those here that own a Victory deal with not having a dealership near you? I am looking long and hard at selling my Yamaha RSV and purchasing Victory Cross Country. I'm in Northern VA and from what I can tell the closest dealer is 90 minutes away. Not everyone here can have a dealer near them can they? How far are you willing to drive to have your bike serviced or warranty work done at a dealer? I really like the bike but need to figure this out first.
Which dealer are you looking at???

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Someone said it before in a different thread... you've heard of the sons of anarchy? We are the sons of sanity... we ride bikes that handle great, have power to spare, and run forever lol. Always looking for prospects

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com Free App
:I agree:

The only dislike for me was the stock brake pads. They went in the first month. As far as accessories, the list keeps growing. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well I live close to my dealer, but agree with what others have said the only reason I am responding is I just traded my 2008 RSV for the 2013 CCT on July 5th 2012, I really liked the RSV but did not realize how hard I was working on that thing, what a joy this CCT is to ride less than a month just shy of 2000 miles do not ride it to work need my truck have not had a vacation day but have been on it every free moment I have had, RSV was good but the Cross Country Tour is GREAT the parking lot speed handling is so much better than the RSV, while the room an comfort going down the highway is very similar also the CCT has a way better sound system an ya it does have fuel injection, time to leave the RSV I have not had it long enough but everything I read an hear, says it is as reliable as the RSV without the clutch noise it will be worth the drive cause it will be mostly to visit an see whats new, cheers

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You guys must all be Victory salesmen. Ha. You're doing a good job of selling me. So for those with owning a Victory for some time is there anything you don't like about them and what accessories are a must have?
Well I will jump on the dealer support as well, Richmond has a new Vic dealer in place, Woodbrige as well as 2 just across the boarder into Maryland all with VERY good reputations. I visited Patomic Vic and sure enough, great folks and very friendly. Besides, that will ensure you have a VALID reason for a 3 hour ride at a minimum.. "Heading to the dealer for x, y or x".. hehe

So for those with owning a Victory for some time is there anything you don't like about them and what accessories are a must have?
Hard to answer that one as im on a 04TC with the V92 but I will say, this engine is SOLID. Mulitple riders 100,000 miles and above with zero power plant issues. I can't see that the 106 has done anything but get better. I will be a Vic owner to the end. May pick up another toy but my mainstay is without a doubt Victory!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Which dealer are you looking at???
According to the website the one in Harrisonburg, Va is the closest to me. I love riding there now as there are some beautiful back roads and my son lives there but not sure I want to be going back and forth that far for service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I live close to my dealer, but agree with what others have said the only reason I am responding is I just traded my 2008 RSV for the 2013 CCT on July 5th 2012, I really liked the RSV but did not realize how hard I was working on that thing, what a joy this CCT is to ride less than a month just shy of 2000 miles do not ride it to work need my truck have not had a vacation day but have been on it every free moment I have had, RSV was good but the Cross Country Tour is GREAT the parking lot speed handling is so much better than the RSV, while the room an comfort going down the highway is very similar also the CCT has a way better sound system an ya it does have fuel injection, time to leave the RSV I have not had it long enough but everything I read an hear, says it is as reliable as the RSV without the clutch noise it will be worth the drive cause it will be mostly to visit an see whats new, cheers
Agree with you on the RSV handling. I'm 6'5 and 250 and sometimes the RSV wears me out in slow riding such as in heavy traffic. I've heard the Victory is a much more nimble ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I will jump on the dealer support as well, Richmond has a new Vic dealer in place, Woodbrige as well as 2 just across the boarder into Maryland all with VERY good reputations. I visited Patomic Vic and sure enough, great folks and very friendly. Besides, that will ensure you have a VALID reason for a 3 hour ride at a minimum.. "Heading to the dealer for x, y or x".. hehe

Hard to answer that one as im on a 04TC with the V92 but I will say, this engine is SOLID. Mulitple riders 100,000 miles and above with zero power plant issues. I can't see that the 106 has done anything but get better. I will be a Vic owner to the end. May pick up another toy but my mainstay is without a doubt Victory!
Woodbridge, Va? I didn't see this listed on the website.

I just did a Google search. Are you talking about Coleman? I didn't realize they sold the Victory. I used to use them for my RSV before Colgan's opened up near me. I wasn't overly impressed with Coleman's but they certainly didn't rip me off or anything. May have to take a ride there one day soon.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
According to the website the one in Harrisonburg, Va is the closest to me. I love riding there now as there are some beautiful back roads and my son lives there but not sure I want to be going back and forth that far for service.
As others have posted, once you get beyond that first service it's pretty much Do It Yourself unless you're having major work done. I had a stage one installed during my 500 mile service and went back to the dealer when I had a PCV problem. I'm thinking about some new cams, but will use a local guy who works on all brands and has a great reputation.

Agree with you on the RSV handling. I'm 6'5 and 250 and sometimes the RSV wears me out in slow riding such as in heavy traffic. I've heard the Victory is a much more nimble ride.
I'm 6'6", 225 and the CR fits me like a dream and slow riding is never a problem.

Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Since you're looking at a XC saddlebag protection bars are probably one of the most important upgrades. Search the forum for "TOC" and you'll find that when these bikes start to flop most people can't stop them and the bars will save the bags. Don't take the tipping problem as a sign that there's something wrong with the bikes because it's usually user error.

Also make sure to work in the first service (500 mile) with your purchase. This is probably the only one that you shouldn't do yourself. The reason is that you are going to hear noises that you aren't used to hearing on a bike and you may not find the answer to all of them on here. Your dealer will give the bike a once over on the 500 service and hopefully give you peace of mind that you shouldn't have to pay for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts