Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theirs a gas station nearby that sells gas with out the 10% ethanol (corn syrup IMO) Is this good to go for victories, or do you have to run it? the manual says it's save to run, but not mandatory

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
theirs a gas station nearby that sells gas with out the 10% ethanol (corn syrup IMO) Is this good to go for victories, or do you have to run it? the manual says it's save to run, but not mandatory
Stay away from ethanol as much as you can. :cool:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
In a lot of places it is almost impossible to find straight gas so you pretty much do what you have to do or push your bike. 10-15% ethanol is good for making a few more HP (example: 2009 Titan makes 300 hp on gas and 320 hp on E85) but you fuel mileage suffers. I average 200 per tank on my XR with straight gas and lose about 15-20 miles with 10% ethanol.

Unfortunatly even though E85 is counter productive (I.e. costs more to make than straight gas) it is here to stay because it does effectively decrease exhaust emissions.

As far as your bike goe it is should be E85 compatible because all vehicles are supposed to be capable of running flex fuel. Ethanol is more corrosive than straight gas so it is tough on fuel lines and on some fuel pump components so the only difference between flex fuel vehicle and non flex fuel vehicles is the materials in the fuel pumps and the fuel lines.

·
Registered
222 Posts
E85 is 85% ethanol. Not good for our bikes. 10% ethanol is the max you want to run in todays bikes.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Ammo, I think you erred on that one, ol' buddy. I will count the ways....
Paragraph 1. How can a fuel that has 1/3 less BTUs than gasoline, produce more power? That's why your fuel mileage goes down when ethanol is added, because it has less energy.
Paragraph 2. When ethanol was introduced, most vehicles had carburetors and the addition of ethanol to the gasoline helped to clean up those exhausts. I dare say that, with today's electronics, ethanol is no longer required to do that job. It's here to stay because of politics and no other reason, as it can not live up to any of the promises, except to make the producers and transporters of it richer with our tax subsidies.
Paragraph 3. Really?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have used E85

I used E85 just to test and thought I had trashed my motor. Do not use this **** as it will do much harm over a period of time.

When I tested it and my engine would not "get-up and go" I drained it out and filled up with 93 octane BP(previously Ammoco)

It runs great now.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of vehicle owners that doubt / question what's in their owners' manuals. Did they never stop to think that the very people that labored years to produce that vehicle know best what it requires and put it in the manual so you won't abort their efforts? A recent thread about engine break-in comes to mind. Guess who has to stand the gaff when you take your broken toy back to the shop to get it repaired under warranty?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ricz the info could be flawed or could be hype as it comes from the owners manual of my truck and data promoting ethanol. Both say increased hp and decreased fuel mileage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't need it

I don't need other's folks SARCASTIC comments. The Victory warranty is worthless to me as I work on my own bike and my local dealer is not worth a ****. I would never take my bike to the Victory dealers in Atlanta as they only tear-up engines. YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED I DID NOT SPECIFY WHAT TYPE OF MOTOR I PUT THE E85 INTO. Anyway I'm done with this and do agree that putting corn into your bike, boat, or car is very bad.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of vehicle owners that doubt / question what's in their owners' manuals. Did they never stop to think that the very people that labored years to produce that vehicle know best what it requires and put it in the manual so you won't abort their efforts? A recent thread about engine break-in comes to mind. Guess who has to stand the gaff when you take your broken toy back to the shop to get it repaired under warranty?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Just think if we could just produce methane in liquid form we would have an endless supply,ha,ha. Just eat lots of beans,run a hose out one end of a full rider to the tank,and gooooooooooo!!!! Just Depends on the digestive track as to the mileage!!!----More serious note, just think for real of all the dairies in this country. Dairy men could be selling the methane off as another by-product from their cattle to fuel vehicles. I do know they sell just about everything else from the cows including the manure. wac

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I don't need other's folks SARCASTIC comments. The Victory warranty is worthless to me as I work on my own bike and my local dealer is not worth a ****. I would never take my bike to the Victory dealers in Atlanta as they only tear-up engines. YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED I DID NOT SPECIFY WHAT TYPE OF MOTOR I PUT THE E85 INTO. Anyway I'm done with this and do agree that putting corn into your bike, boat, or car is very bad.
No sarcasm intended, Jim, and I apologize if you took it that way. It was just my way of stating facts and I'm not too tactful at times. That's why I've never been elected president. I'm a bit of a hypocrite myself as I have drilled out baffles and removed the O2 sensors. Yee Haw! Sorry about your dealers there - they don't help to boost Victory PR. Be glad you can do your own work, think of those who can't and are at the mercy of those shops. cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ricz what the hell crawled up ur azz? it was just a question!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Paragraph 1. How can a fuel that has 1/3 less BTUs than gasoline, produce more power? That's why your fuel mileage goes down when ethanol is added, because it has less energy.
Paragraph 2. When ethanol was introduced, most vehicles had carburetors and the addition of ethanol to the gasoline helped to clean up those exhausts. I dare say that, with today's electronics, ethanol is no longer required to do that job. It's here to stay because of politics and no other reason, as it can not live up to any of the promises, except to make the producers and transporters of it richer with our tax subsidies.
Paragraph 3. Really?
Ethanol has just as much abilty to make power or more since it's an oxygenated fuel that doesn't require as much oxygen from the air to burn. The reason your regular engine doesn't make the power is because since it is lower BTU content it does need a way higher air/fuel ratio and the timing can be advanced siginificantly because of it's octane properties. Your regular engine can't adjust for these changes on it's own but if it was set up for it--whole different ball game. Basic rule of thumb-don't use more than 10% ethanol unless it's a flex-fuel vehicle or it is built specifically for ethanol in the same manner that an Indy car engine is. They make POWER on 100% eth so it can be done. Just not in your stock Vic.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
wac On a slightly different note, I have been using treatments of seafoam from time to time and recently discovered a product that my dealer now sells called K100mg. I have some bikes unfortunately that sit longer than they should and have developed carb problems that cause rough idle and stalling. After putting the recommended dose of K100mg in my wifes bike and letting it sit over nite I was amazed that it started the next day and shortly after running a few minutes actually cleared up and has been fine since.

The prduct claims to cure and prevent water contamination and eliminates the danger of phase seperation so common in E10, E15 and E85 fuels. Give it a try if you are storing your bike for the cold months or if you dont run your bike for 2 to 3 weeks at a time this stuff will help.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Slickvic,
I can't say for sure whether or not it's just hype (I have no vehicles that I can test with) but supposedly K100 can help reverse the damage E85 causes to fuel pumps on non-flex fuel vehicles.

I like to research everything and I usually start with reviews. I've found that it is possible to judge reviews on any product but there are a couple of things to watch for. The first rule is that you can pretty much assume that reviews on a manufacturers website have any negative responses edited out. The bad part is that many of the manufacturers have figured out that people consider these reviews hype so they build one or more alternate websites to make people think the reviews are more legit. The second rule is that no matter how god a product is you will find people that have problems. The tricky part is trying to figure out who's. reviews to trust and who's to ignore.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Paragraph 3. Really?
Turbo motors
E85. thumb up

In that instance, E85 can run a lot more boost because of it's octane rating. So, in that one circumstance, E85=more power

1 - 17 of 17 Posts