1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
On 2 wheels, I fear little. Won't ride if it's icy, but that's about it. Rain, wild animals, darkness, getting lost, running out of gas...none of this worries me in the least. I can mitigate these concerns to some degree either through planning or attentive riding or skill.

But there's not a lot you can do about some moron who's too busy screwing with the phone to be bothered with chore of operating a motor vehicle. I constantly fear someone trying to park on my head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is why I don't put my bike in neutral until someone is actually stopped behind me. And I keep an eye on the mirrors. She's been charged, not convicted yet.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love to see that get some national press to help wake up the phone heads.
:not worthy:
Pretty much why I posted it, but here it's like preaching to the choir :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
The phone answer is simple all phones these days have a GPS built into them. All it takes is to program the software of the phone to detect when the phone is moving more then a set MPH that it disables the ability to use the phone or text with it and this problem would be gone over night.

The only phone feature that would remain functional would be the 911 dialing.

This is a simple solution and could be done quickly to cure a known serious problem.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Too bad they put the guillotine away in storage. That would be the perfect "punishment" for drivers who kill.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Also not a bad idea to pull the far left or right of the lane when stopped at a light (whichever is safer). You never know, you may leave enough room for that person to go right past you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The phone answer is simple all phones these days have a GPS built into them. All it takes is to program the software of the phone to detect when the phone is moving more then a set MPH that it disables the ability to use the phone or text with it and this problem would be gone over night.

The only phone feature that would remain functional would be the 911 dialing.

This is a simple solution and could be done quickly to cure a known serious problem.
That's great, unless your a passenger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, it'd be hard to implement... passengers aside, I keep my GPS turned off most of the time to save battery. I hate to say it, but tough consequences are likely the only way to deter people.

I have to drive through a college town on the way to work, and all the 19/20 year olds with their faces buried in cell phones at the stop lights always worry me. I just assume none of them see me.

Getting plowed from behind though... I had a friend in a CAR get seriously injured from a person behind him failing to stop. I try to keep someone behind me when I near the two busy intersections I have to navigate when cutting through the edge of the college town.

Even laws won't really help to deter. Being such little devices, they're hard to detect visually. Of couse, there are still radios, food, AC, sunroofs, GPSes and all manner of other gadgets now to keep people occupied.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also not a bad idea to pull the far left or right of the lane when stopped at a light (whichever is safer). You never know, you may leave enough room for that person to go right past you.
I used to pull to the right of the lane now I pull to the left, too many idiots would literally pull up next to me thinking I was broken down

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is why I don't put my bike in neutral until someone is actually stopped behind me. And I keep an eye on the mirrors. She's been charged, not convicted yet.
I think about this a lot when stopped at a light.
The way people pull up behind me, I honestly don't think I'd have a quick enough reaction time to move outta the way in time.

I've even tried it when I'm at a light and nobody was around.

I mean how long do you hear tires screaching before the crash, a second maybe?

Not saying it's not a good practice, I'm just not sure if it'd do me much good either way.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have no extra wisdom to spread. But a big thx for making me more aware to keep an eye on the mirror at stops. Coming from a guy who, in a car, noticed one day a semi was approaching too fast. Its those extra things we watch that saves us.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I honestly do not fear much , but what does scare me is getting crushed by an idiot who is not paying attention and running me over in a 2 ton automobile, or worse, a truck...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts