Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pissed the marketing keeps saying "choice in American motorcycles is back". I bought a Victory as a choice over the other. WTF Polaris? you don't consider The Victory a choice? My next bike will be a Harley if you keep screwing around, at least they don't release competing models and put the refinements on the new one.

I was in Sturgis this year and had a chance to scope out the Indians. The very first thing I noticed was the handlebar controls - everything integrated into the housings as compared to the audio and cruise hanging off the bottom on a Vic. I cornered a Victory factory guy and voiced my many concerns about the controls, smoother transmission, larger engine, etc and the advertising. He listened and was somewhat sympathetic.

After the 700 mile trip I just did over the last couple of days Harley may have a convert coming their way. I said I never would, but the more I think about it the more i see no loyalty from Polaris, Victory, and Indian.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm pissed the marketing keeps saying "choice in American motorcycles is back". I bought a Victory as a choice over the other. WTF Polaris?
I agree, that ad is pretty dismissive of their current customers.

After the 700 mile trip I just did over the last couple of days Harley may have a convert coming their way. I said I never would, but the more I think about it the more i see no loyalty from Polaris, Victory, and Indian.
What went wrong? I like my bike just fine. Vic is doing things that aren't making me crazy about buying another, but I certainly enjoy riding the one I got.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Vic is doing things that aren't making me crazy about buying another, but I certainly enjoy riding the one I got.
That's a great way to look at it :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I sure don't see a problem. If you actually see a Chieftain and a Cross Country side by side...you'll see there really is a choice to be made.

To be mad because a set of features is one product and not another is absurd. Maybe YOU are upset, many of us are happy with our bikes....and we don't NEED another choice.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
The better marketing strategy would be to have some Victories in the Indian commercials... yup.

·
13,185 Posts
You say harley doesn't repeat. What rock do you live under.
The baggers have been the same since the 50's the softail has been the same since 1985 and Dyna has never changed.
Yes the motors have but thats it. This is the first year haley has made major changes to the bike.
I can bet next year Victory will have changes

·
Registered
269 Posts
hummmmm

I'm pissed the marketing keeps saying "choice in American motorcycles is back". I bought a Victory as a choice over the other. WTF Polaris? you don't consider The Victory a choice? My next bike will be a Harley if you keep screwing around, at least they don't release competing models and put the refinements on the new one.

I was in Sturgis this year and had a chance to scope out the Indians. The very first thing I noticed was the handlebar controls - everything integrated into the housings as compared to the audio and cruise hanging off the bottom on a Vic. I cornered a Victory factory guy and voiced my many concerns about the controls, smoother transmission, larger engine, etc and the advertising. He listened and was somewhat sympathetic.

Your going to jump ship just because of an ad? I've not seen one Indian commercial on TV but see Victory commercials all the time. I'm not going to cry because there are now three choices and Polaris is two of them?????? I've got nothing against Hardly either.. I bought what I liked and thought was the best bike for what I needed a bike for.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
It doesn't take much to piss off our friend Truckracer, does it. The example he gave for getting upset is baseless. Those added on controls on the Vics are there cuz there are many Vics that don't need them, while others do. Most Indians have the same controls which makes it a no brainer for them to have the same switchgear. I know the Chieftain has audio stuff, but consider the price of Indians vs Victorys. Wanna pay that much for integrated controls? I don't.

According to Vic brass, there are huge changes acoming 'round the bend. You go ahead and get your wonderful Harley...betcha you'll be trading it in shortly for one of those new and improved Victorys.

Oh, and Polaris did give us a choice with the Victory...contemporary design and engineering, great handling and performance and unique styling for those who are weary of the H-D costume party. Now they have given us another choice, one that differs from our Victorys and appeals to traditionalists and many others. I don't see this as Polaris dismissing us Vic owners, rather they are augmenting their line with a bike that appeals to a somewhat different clientele. However, when I hit it big (or medium) in the lottery, there will be an Indian next to my XR in the sixteen car garage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure don't see a problem. If you actually see a Chieftain and a Cross Country side by side...you'll see there really is a choice to be made.

To be mad because a set of features is one product and not another is absurd. Maybe YOU are upset, many of us are happy with our bikes....and we don't NEED another choice.
If I saw them side by side?? I had my 2013 CCT right next to a Chieftain.
It's obvious lessons learned from Victory have been applied to the Indians. It's also obvious those lessons are not going to be applied to the Victory's anytime soon.
I got caught in a small rain shower and the audio controls went nuts, and just like my gas smell I had, I search the forums and sure enough it's a common, reoccurring problem. Nothing has changed on the assembly process or parts to alleviate known conditions, but they had time to build a new line of bikes...
I am happy with the bike, just not the fact it needs tweaks to fix stuff and the company building Victory's are promoting the newest lineup as the only alternative to Milwaukee.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought my Vic because it was the best value for my dollar. Not because of a marketing campaign. There is no perfect bike coming from any manufacturer. If you don't like how something is, just change it. If it has so many things that need changing well maybe you should go buy the Harley.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You say harley doesn't repeat. What rock do you live under.
The baggers have been the same since the 50's the softail has been the same since 1985 and Dyna has never changed.
Yes the motors have but thats it. This is the first year haley has made major changes to the bike.
I can bet next year Victory will have changes
I never said Harley doesn't repeat.

I said they never released a COMPETING brand of motorcycles. Buell was a secondary brand, but they never released a streetglide type bagger to compete in the same segment of the marketplace.

I won't get into the Harley changes over the years, I did buy a Victory you know.

I think the rock I'm under is the same as you, its called the sun.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Most of my problems with Victory due to their newness and size in the marketplace and that is availability. They are still relatively small and in the locations I am familiar with, the Victory's are a sideline to the larger and long established Polaris quad and snowmobile dealerships. As such, the on-hand parts will be low until the number of owners climbs which I am not expecting to happen too soon. There seems to be some really good third party parts available but again, the number is limited compared to the other brands of motorcycle. If the bike is as reliable as I think it is I can't see the parts situation getting much better at smaller dealerships.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vics don't have controls integrated into the switch boxes because Polaris built one set of switch boxes that fits every bike. Money-smart sure, but it forces a modular design to accommodate stuff like cruise and stereo controls. Upside for the guys that ride the bikes that DON'T usually come with cruise, they can hang cruise control on 'em with factory components no problem.

It'd sure look pretty for it to be integrated, but it don't break my heart, or even bother.

Now, I admit I'd be a little testy about the radio controls going nuts because they got wet. That SHOULDN'T be a common problem...it's a motorcycle, everything's going to get wet. That shoulda been properly QA tested. And maybe it has been. And maybe it's better now, I dunno. Maybe not if yours is a '13 and it's doing it.

Not sure any of that's any reason to go buy a Harley outta spite. But if that's what you wanna do...well, power to ya.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
What went wrong? I like my bike just fine. Vic is doing things that aren't making me crazy about buying another, but I certainly enjoy riding the one I got.
I have to agree with you. thumb up

·
Registered
608 Posts
I don't see Victory as Harley's competition now that Polaris produce Indian. I do see more choice in American motorcycles now.

I hope Victory and Indian always look different and play to different aspects of the industry. Like young and old school.

I don't see the switch gear on the Vic to be an issue. I have read where they call it an after thought. Looks ok to me.
I don't want my Vic to look like an Indian. I want it to be more sporty. More forward in design. A bit futuristic.
I want the Indian to be more old school, with modern touches. They don't compete against each other in any way..

I believe Polaris has done a fantastic job with the Indian. I am glad they bought the rights and produced another option for anyone wanting an American motorcycle.

Great job Polaris.......
With any luck I will own an Indian some time in the future.

When you think of it and see the out come it is obvious they pulled all there resources to make Indian well received. And maybe that was at the expense of Victory updates. But if it was me running the company I would have made the same choice.

Changes and updates will come to Victory but keep in mind they still need to do a Lot of work to keep Indian fresh. I want to see a trunk on the cheifton before I buy one......

I don't think there is anything to be upset about. Unless you don't like being part of the best thing to come to the motorcycling industry.....

And we Victory owners are a big part of the future of Polaris Industries..

Yes there is issues we need addressed and yes I bitch and bitch about my bikes clicks and clacks. But I can see they have learned a lot. And that is good for us Vic owners too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't see Victory as Harley's competition now that Polaris produce Indian. I do see more choice in American motorcycles now.

I hope Victory and Indian always look different and play to different aspects of the industry. Like young and old school.

I don't see the switch gear on the Vic to be an issue. I have read where they call it an after thought. Looks ok to me.
I don't want my Vic to look like an Indian. I want it to be more sporty. More forward in design. A bit futuristic.
I want the Indian to be more old school, with modern touches.

I believe Polaris has done a fantastic job with the Indian. I am glad they bought the rights and produced another option for anyone wanting an American motorcycle.

Great job Polaris.......
With any luck I will own an Indian some time in the future.

When you think of it and see the out come it is obvious they pulled all there resources to make Indian well received. And maybe that was at the expense of Victory updates. But if it was me running the company I would have made the same choice.

Changes and updates will come to Victory but keep in mind they still need to do a Lot of work to keep Indian fresh. I want to see a trunk on the cheifton before I buy one......

I don't think there is anything to be upset about. Unless you don't like being part of the best thing to come to the motorcycling industry.....

And we Victory owners are a big part of the future of Polaris Industries..

Yes there is issues we need addressed and yes I bitch and bitch about my bikes clicks and clacks. But I can see they have learned a lot. And that is good for us Vic owners too.
Very well said sir!thumb up

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'll have to be much older than I am now before I would consider a indian, (and I am pretty old). my eye's will have to not focus on the ugly for me to consider.;) :ltr:
I have not seen it in person yet. But what I have seen is beautiful ....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Let us think for a minute. A person buys a Vic and is happy. Polaris builds another bike that is a bit different with some design changes that appeal to the eye, but function the same----and suddenly that person is no longer happy. As retaliation that person abandons the Vic that made them happy 5 weeks ago and buys an inferior motorcycle to express their displeasure.

Question----------who is the REAL looser in this situation?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts