Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, there’s still lots of riding weather left here in Pennsylvania but I was just thinking about preparing for the storage time ahead.
I changed the oil in my 2014 Hammer a couple of months ago at 5000 miles and have about 7500 miles on it now.
If the weather holds out and I get close to 10000 miles before winter really sets in and I end up changing it again then tucking it in until springtime, do I need to change it again before riding in the warmer months? I don’t have a garage. Only a cover.
I guess my question is how will the new oil be come springtime with not running the engine for that long? Will it need to be changed again?
I used the Victory oil change kit last time but no longer see it for sale on amazon. That should be no problem though since that subject has been beaten to death in many forums!

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Yeah, there’s still lots of riding weather left here in Pennsylvania but I was just thinking about preparing for the storage time ahead.
I changed the oil in my 2014 Hammer a couple of months ago at 5000 miles and have about 7500 miles on it now.
If the weather holds out and I get close to 10000 miles before winter really sets in and I end up changing it again then tucking it in until springtime, do I need to change it again before riding in the warmer months? I don’t have a garage. Only a cover.
I guess my question is how will the new oil be come springtime with not running the engine for that long? Will it need to be changed again?
I used the Victory oil change kit last time but no longer see it for sale on amazon. That should be no problem though since that subject has been beaten to death in many forums!
Modern oils will be fine sitting over the winter. I would change it at the end of the season.
Also, what has worked for me, is a bit of stabilizer and ethanol free gas in the tank. There's a station that carries 90rec 15 minutes from me. I ride down there, pour in stabilizer, top off the tank.
For 8 years running, the bike fires up quick and easy every spring

Food for thought

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks doobliss! There is a non-ethanol station not too far away that I go to when I’m out that direction. It may just be me but it (93 octane) seems to run better in my 106 than the 10% stuff. And I do see an increase in gas mileage, enough to justify the higher cost.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Thanks doobliss! There is a non-ethanol station not too far away that I go to when I’m out that direction. It may just be me but it (93 octane) seems to run better in my 106 than the 10% stuff. And I do see an increase in gas mileage, enough to justify the higher cost.
I like non-ethanol premium too. It's just so hard to find these days in my area. People who live near lakes and rivers can usually get it because boats need it. On FB they are adamant about running regular but my 11 XC is tuned for premium and has seat-of-the-pants more power with premium. For the tiny bit I would save using regular it isn't worth it to me. I do run mid-grade sometimes though.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I don't change my oil unless its time. You wont have any problem letting older oil sit a few months over the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts