Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all... currently riding an '03 Wing "Punk'n" for short (coz it's Orange). Been looking at the CCT's for a while and have ridden them a couple times. Very Impressed to say the least.

Anyhoo ... came off an '06 Royal Star Venture to the Wing coz we pull a Leesur-Lite tent trailer and the RSV just didn't handle well with that trailer in tow. The wing on the other hand, doesn't know the trailer is even there.

I'm curious to know how the CCT handles pulling a tent trailer in comparison to a) an RSV and b) a Wing

Your input will be much appreciated and will assist me in making a decision.

Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
trailer

Dont own a trailer but have a friend who pulls one and his wife stopped riding with him on his ictory. I would stay with the wing as I have other friends who ride wings and aas you no problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont own a trailer but have a friend who pulls one and his wife stopped riding with him on his ictory. I would stay with the wing as I have other friends who ride wings and aas you no problem.
Well, I'm curious now... did his wife stop riding with him coz he pulls a trailer or was it because he bought a Victory? :crzy: :confused:

·
Registered
784 Posts
I don't pull a trailer, but think you would be very disappointed. The Vic looks a lot like a Wing on paper, but in reality, it isn't even close. As for the pillion, make her get on it. Mine has more miles on the back than most folks do in a life time, and she just blew off the test ride. She has been sorry.
Now, we knew a new seat was in the future, so she didn't think much of it. Here is the catch. Unless you live or feel like working with a custom type shop like Russel or someone, you have Corbin and Ultimate. Ultimate, you lose your heated seat and take what they give you (told me that straight up). Corbin has not lived up to their reputation, at least the only one I had heard about.
Lots to consider, and for us If I had to do it today I wouldn't go to Victory. After the seat mess is resolved and I get into a good for me riding position, I will rethink my gripes.

Best Wishes

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well, I'm curious now... did his wife stop riding with him coz he pulls a trailer or was it because he bought a Victory? :crzy: :confused:
To SF, it's not a Victory, it is an "ictory." You see, after incessantly whining about his bike, it got sick of hearing it and threw its tank badge at him. Now he calls it names. It's a dysfunctional relationship.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I rode a Wing, very nice, car like. I bought a Victory because I like the motorcycle feel. All comes down to personal preference. Test ride a V

·
Registered
51 Posts
SilvrT
I know your name from the another site, I rode an RSV for 4 years never pulled a trailer an havent pulled one with my XCT I bought my XCT in July and have over 3000 miles on it, I know I am getting older but that RSV was a handfull an I did not realize it until the Victory truck came to town after a good long test ride I knew I was going to own one the slow speed handling and evern highway speeds taking curves it handles like a dream machine, don't know how it will handle the trailer I would guess the RSV had a little more power but I feel hooking a trailer to it compound its slow speed manuverabilty, XCT is a great bike miss my RSV a little but would not consider going back at least until the 3rd generation shows up

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SilvrT
I know your name from the another site, I rode an RSV for 4 years never pulled a trailer an havent pulled one with my XCT I bought my XCT in July and have over 3000 miles on it, I know I am getting older but that RSV was a handfull an I did not realize it until the Victory truck came to town after a good long test ride I knew I was going to own one the slow speed handling and evern highway speeds taking curves it handles like a dream machine, don't know how it will handle the trailer I would guess the RSV had a little more power but I feel hooking a trailer to it compound its slow speed manuverabilty, XCT is a great bike miss my RSV a little but would not consider going back at least until the 3rd generation shows up
hiya! ya, I did like my RSMV because it's more "like" a "motorcycle" than the Wing is but at the same time I hated it because of it's poor handling at slow speeds and that incessant clutch basket whine.

Pulling the trailer thru the mountains with the RSMV was hard work and manouevering in parking lots/gas stations ... OMG! For me, at 65 and 160lbs soakin wet ... was just too much ... so I sold it and bought the Wing. Now I love this Wing and like I said, when the trailer is hooked up it hardly makes a difference ... the handling is effortless.

I've ridden the CC and CCT a couple times and was very impressed by pretty much everything about the bike. I had to do a tight, slow speed turnaround on my last demo ride and I was amazed at how easy it was to "pin" it.

I'm seriously contemplating buying a new CCT but am hesitant because I don't want to have similar issues as with the RSMV when pulling the trailer.

As for a 3rd gen "Venture" ... well, we'll see what 2013 brings but I doubt Yama will produce anything at least until 2014 and like a lot of RSV riders ... are getting tired of waiting.

Besides, I very much like the idea of a V-twin.

·
Registered
784 Posts
One more thing to consider. The X bikes have very adequate brakes for pulling it in. They are no where near the braking system the Wing has. IMHO Getting it moving can be one thing but not being able to get it stopped is a problem.
As for liking one over the other, I like the look of the X bikes. Probably better than anything out there right now. Kind of like underwear, some like BVD's and some like Fruit of the loom's. Both get the job done but there is a preference of one over the other.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
would you kindly elaborate on why?
hiya! because it's more "like" a "motorcycle" than the Wing.

I like Wings too, but they don't have the flexibility in leg position, require more maintenance, and have a ton more Tupperware than I want on a motorcycle.

For me, my XR is about the perfect bike. It can be packed to the gills and go two up across the country or packed lightly and ridden like a demon through the mountains. It also makes a perfectly good machine to commute on.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The X bikes have very adequate brakes for pulling it in. They are no where near the braking system the Wing has.
I agree, Honda uses that crappy linked brake nonsense. That coupled with its lame fork make for some less than stellar braking. The newer ones have ABS which is nice, but then so do the new Vics.

I have no problem locking my XR's front wheel in a hard braking situation. Not something I try to do, but it's happened during emergency braking. Vic front brakes do seem to require more lever effort than standard Jap machines. But switching from a two finger to a three finger pull has removed any issues I had with the front and couple that with the strong rear brake and the thing stops as quick as anything that heavy has a right to.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...For me, my XR is about the perfect bike. It can be packed to the gills and go two up across the country or packed lightly and ridden like a demon through the mountains. It also makes a perfectly good machine to commute on.
:I agree:
The XR's probably the most flexible Vic - screen off, and you're ready to cruise around town, wind in your face - screen on, and you're ready for the long trip. Comfortable for rider and passenger, yet it's not grandma's boat - handles great and it has plenty of power from the factory. If you're like me and can only afford one bike, the XR is the one that wears many hats. thumb up

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more thing to consider. The X bikes have very adequate brakes for pulling it in. They are no where near the braking system the Wing has.
I agree, Honda uses that crappy linked brake nonsense. That coupled with its lame fork make for some less than stellar braking. The newer ones have ABS which is nice, but then so do the new Vics.
I think Lostintexas meant the Wing's braking system was superior to the Vic ...yes/no?

saddlebag ... you must be referring to the pre-2001 Wings (GL1500's) coz my '03 has ABS and linked brakes and I think they're great. As for the lame fork ... again, must be the 1500's ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has more power ???

There is nothing ictory about my 2011 Victory pull your wing up beside Victory ,it will be at a red light and when the green light pops I will be having my way with your wings and that will be the last time you wondering about my power

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I rode a Wing, very nice, car like. I bought a Victory because I like the motorcycle feel. All comes down to personal preference. Test ride a V
Guys ... I forgot I signed in here. Thankfully I'd subscribed to the thread and got an email LOL

Anyhoo ... UPDATE ... the Wing is gone and I'm now riding a 2013 CCT!!

Wooo hooooo got just over 300 km on it and am loving it!

IMG_2827 (Large).jpg

IMG_2829 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ultimate, you lose your heated seat and take what they give you (told me that straight up).
What did you mean when you said, "take what they give you"? I have owned 3 Ultimate Seats (yes, I'm a loyal customer, but no more than that)...but they have a 2 week return policy of no questions asked?

I just didn't want the OP to think that 1) customer service was bad at Ultimate and 2) they have a bad product. Both of which are not true.

Thanks,

Wally

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't pull a trailer, but think you would be very disappointed. The Vic looks a lot like a Wing on paper, but in reality, it isn't even close. As for the pillion, make her get on it. Mine has more miles on the back than most folks do in a life time, and she just blew off the test ride. She has been sorry.
Our RSV pulled the trailer ok and it's only a 1300cc engine ... was just that the bike itself was a bear to handle. I now have a CCT (just got it Tuesday) and the handling is far superior to the RSV and even better than the Wing IMHO. Looking fwd to getting sufficient miles on the CCT that I can open her up and see what she's really capable of. I can tell already within the 300 kms I've put on it so far that it will have ample power to haul the trailer.

And as a major PLUS ... the wife loves it ... the first thing she said when she got off the test ride was "now THAT is what I have been missing" woooo hoooooooo!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts