Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have started noticing something here recently and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

I have a 2014 XR 8 Ball.
Currently has about 2500 miles on it.
This began about 2000 miles (approx.).

When I first start up my bike in the mornings, it runs for a minute or two to warm up.
In first gear I begin to take off and it feels like something is holding the bike back in a pulsing pattern.
Shift into second and it feels fine. Stop and take off in first again and it does it again until I begin shifting, no issues with other gears.
After a few miles it stops doing until I get to my destination.
Only does it in first and when bike has not moved for a while.

Maybe this will make sense if I describe it this way.
Imagine you have warped rotors, when you brake the bike will pulse, grabs, then lets go, grabs, then lets go... and so on.
Imagine the opposite, this goes, then pulls back, then goes, then pulls back... and so on.

I tapped both brakes but it didn't affect the symptoms, the pulsing feel was constant.
Pull in the clutch it quits, but continues when clutch engaged.
Like I said, only in first gear during the first few miles of riding.
Then everything is great.
The engine RPM is steady as I hold the throttle.
It seems like the transmission or the gears?

As a test I held the throttle steady, started moving and holding both brakes slightly to see if the symptom changed. No change, so I let off both brakes and accelerated, bike moved forward but still had that "warped rotor pulse" feeling.

If I left out any info or you need anything else, let me know.
I just need to know if this is an issue to take to the dealer or if it is normal and will pass with more miles on the bike as it continues to break-in.

Thanks everyone.

Marko

·
Registered
427 Posts
Maybe belt tension? Although I'm not sure why it would only be felt in 1st. Maybe the speed at which the wheel is turning has something to do with it. anyway...it's easy to check!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ok, I have started noticing something here recently and was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

I have a 2014 XR 8 Ball.
Currently has about 2500 miles on it.
This began about 2000 miles (approx.).

When I first start up my bike in the mornings, it runs for a minute or two to warm up.
In first gear I begin to take off and it feels like something is holding the bike back in a pulsing pattern.
Shift into second and it feels fine. Stop and take off in first again and it does it again until I begin shifting, no issues with other gears.
After a few miles it stops doing until I get to my destination.
Only does it in first and when bike has not moved for a while.

Maybe this will make sense if I describe it this way.
Imagine you have warped rotors, when you brake the bike will pulse, grabs, then lets go, grabs, then lets go... and so on.
Imagine the opposite, this goes, then pulls back, then goes, then pulls back... and so on.

I tapped both brakes but it didn't affect the symptoms, the pulsing feel was constant.
Pull in the clutch it quits, but continues when clutch engaged.
Like I said, only in first gear during the first few miles of riding.
Then everything is great.
The engine RPM is steady as I hold the throttle.
It seems like the transmission or the gears?

As a test I held the throttle steady, started moving and holding both brakes slightly to see if the symptom changed. No change, so I let off both brakes and accelerated, bike moved forward but still had that "warped rotor pulse" feeling.

If I left out any info or you need anything else, let me know.
I just need to know if this is an issue to take to the dealer or if it is normal and will pass with more miles on the bike as it continues to break-in.

Thanks everyone.

Marko
Marko,
Some thoughts:

Very first thought is the belt is too tight.

Is the bike warmed up, yes I know it is hot outside but is there heat in the engine?

First gear only, hum, Mine does that sometimes, there is some lash in the drive train and it could be that you are in that not so Sweet spot where you go from driving the transmission to being driven by the transmission.

What is the oil condition? Engine health?

IS it possible that thru a variety of hard or fast starts you may have a burnt clutch or warpped plates? just enough to create a problem but not enough to leave you stranded.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Does it only happen when the clutch is halfway out or even if the clutch is let out all the way?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
If you have lift, put your bike up and (after cooling over night) rotate the wheels. If you feel intermittent drag, there's a possible brake problem. Observing the belt might reveal if the above posters have nailed the problem.

·
13,247 Posts
You could put a metal straight edge on the rotors to see if there flat. Doesn't mater if the bike is hot or cold.

If you get this feeling when your in first gear and at low speeds try getting the rpm's up around 2000 to 2500. Four valve heads need rpm's I think your going to slow. I bet after a good twenty minuets of riding you don't have the problem when leaving a stop sign or light.

If it was the breaks or the belt the feeling would be there all the time not just in first.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Warranty.
Take it in.
Make sure to document the conditions that contribute to the issue.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My Kingpin used to do the same thing. I was told it was warped clutch plates. Is there a difference in noise with the clutch in or out? It was much worse in cold weather and went away after an oil change. It never slipped or gave problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts