Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually it's not a normal question.

I bought a new Bridgestone G704 tire for my XCT just prior to a trip I took back in September...My plan was to change it once I got back from the trip because I thought the tire would be shot. However, the tire still has another few miles (maybe 1000-1500 miles) left on it...so now I have a brand new rear tire sitting in my garage. Now I don't expect to be changing it out until late spring.

My question...what is the best way to store this tire (for another 4 months). Do I stand it up, lay it down...rotate the dang thing?

Stupid question...but I don't know. I've been rotating the thing...I bet have 5 miles on it just from rotating (kidding of course).

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I personally think that due to how stiff the sidewalls and tread area are, you wouldn't have a problem.
I don't know for sure, tho.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
just dont let it sit on concrete or in direct sun and you should be fine

·
13,002 Posts
keep it out of the sun cover it up if you can.
Think about a tire warehouse. They have them standing up and they never touch them till they're shipped. No need to rotate not enough weight on tire to really develop a flat spot.
Parts unlimited where all metzlers and Avons come from have 5k on hand at any one time and they don't rotate any of them

·
Registered
632 Posts
You're over thinking it....
But if your worried bring the tire in the house and put it under the bed...:smile

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
cement/concrete is hard on tires, if they were mine i would put even a piece of wood or plastic under them just to keep them off the concrete.

·
Registered
632 Posts
cement/concrete is hard on tires, if they were mine i would put even a piece of wood or plastic under them just to keep them off the concrete.
Don't know about tires being on concrete will hurt them, But i do know some of the older type of batteries will slowly discharge if left on a concrete floor...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
tires are stored by a tire store and a mfgr upright for a long time. therry store them upright for space reasons, no other reason.

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
I just bought in 2 shipments 2 front and 3 rear, so i have stock in my garage 1 front and 2 rear,

I packed them in cardboard, and upright, and thin wood between the metal and cardboard .... That should be enough to keep them safe for the next 2 years or so ....

RIC do you recognize your handwriting ? Ha ha

But for the OP you only have 1 tire to store so just box it into cardboard and lay it flat if you can ? It does not matter, as long as the sunlight can't get to the tire .

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a set in storage. I wrapped them in plastic wrap put them back in the box they came in. Closed the box up and put into a storage closet where I work. Issue I have is finding a place to install them when I am ready. Cause I did not buy the tires from the dealers they wont install them. Thinking about just getting a no-mar changer on a hitch mount and start doing tires for me and others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts