Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fish oil is going to be the end of us. I can't keep up.

No I'm not baiting you with fish oil either. ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I heard this as well, but what is kind of funny is Japanese men probably ingest more fish oil than any demographic out there and yet have one of the lowest rates of Prostate cancer in the world.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
That is one smelly slippery slope.;)
Term, the big difference is Japanese men get their fish oil from fish, not a capsule.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Term, the big difference is Japanese men get their fish oil from fish, not a capsule.
Major Tom was told "Now its time to leave the capsule if you dare." I think he's turning Japanese, I really think so.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just stick with fish and toss the caps and I have a ton of them my Doc said they are important.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
"You can't fool all the people all of the time." Abe Lincoln

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thank God the Hammer doesn't have a prostate, after reading all of these oil debates I decided to use fish oil in it.:ltr:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I am something of a gym rat , and am very aware of my nutritional intake.... At this moment I am FAIRLY CONCERNED about my future prostate health as I have consumed probably a 55 Gallon drum of fish oil in liquid form, over the years. Yikes, I hope this is a mountain of mis-information.... If protein powders are bad for you, I am the walking dead.....:(

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Mag, just think how good you'll look at an open casket funeral.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
From the ultimate conspiracy whack job web site. So you think these guys know something?
Yes. They know they can sell BS by the bucket load.

After you posted this, I did a little reading on the subject. These are a few things that I got out of a writeup on the study.

1. Fish are notoriously high in Mercury content. The study was controlled for this and found that Mercury played no role in the increase of prostate cancer.

2. Not all fish oils are equal. Those with the highest levels of DHA also had the highest risk of prostate cancer.

3. The amount of fish oil needed to increase your cancer risk is equivalent to eating Salmon twice a week.

4. There are no studies that verify that fish oil decreases heart disease. I can personally tell you that I have high cholesterol. My doc first advised me to try fish oil three times a day. It did nothing for my cholesterol level. Put me on a statin and it fell right to a normal level, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yes. They know they can sell BS by the bucket load.

After you posted this, I did a little reading on the subject. These are a few things that I got out of a writeup on the study.

1. Fish are notoriously high in Mercury content. The study was controlled for this and found that Mercury played no role in the increase of prostate cancer.

2. Not all fish oils are equal. Those with the highest levels of DHA also had the highest risk of prostate cancer.

3. The amount of fish oil needed to increase your cancer risk is equivalent to eating Salmon twice a week.

4. There are no studies that verify that fish oil decreases heart disease. I can personally tell you that I have high cholesterol. My doc first advised me to try fish oil three times a day. It did nothing for my cholesterol level. Put me on a statin and it fell right to a normal level, YMMV.
Saddle, how bout 3 TBSP a day for 5 years ? Any such info on that? I'm calling the funeral home as I type this...:ltr: All I can do is laugh, or, cry...

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
When I was talking to Danny at Lloydz Motorwerks about adjusting my timing wheel, he told me all engines are different. Now I'm telling you all people are different too. My dad died of old age, and nothing else, at 95...my brother died of esophageal cancer and Kaiser at 57. My father was a meat and potato man, smoked the first half of his life, was active but didn't exercise. My brother never smoked or drank. I never smoked either, drink wine or beer with dinner sometimes, eat fairly well and got hit with a rare form of lung cancer twice. Go figure. No one knows what lies in store, only the Shadow knows....heh, heh heh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts