Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a twist on the age old numb hands issue. My hands only go numb when wearing gloves. I tried an experiment on yesterdays ride. I have 2 different pair this happens with one with gel in the palm one without. They went numb pretty fast with the gloves on, I took the gloves off and for the next 30 miles of the ride no issues. I prefer to wear gloves as my overall hand fatigue is less and obviously they are more protected. So thoughts? The gloves are both shorter summer gloves with a not too tight not too loose fit. In other words under all other circumstances the perfect fit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Maybe with gloves on, you unconsciously grip tighter to get the feel you need to be comfortable. Without gloves, maybe not as tight of a grip to get the same comfort feeling. The circulation in your hands is certainly better the more relaxed they are. Just a thought...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has crossed my mind as well. Looking for simple advice on how to deal with it from folks who have run into it. First time I have had this issue in 25+ years of riding motorcycles, mini bikes on up.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I rode 400 miles yesterday with the new bars I got to replace the hb's. No problem, no soreness, no numbness,and above all, no broken right wrist feel from the hand position. That's just me, I'm not a big guy, dont have the real wide shoulders.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be a difference then, not that I am huge but the bars are right below my shoulder height, I had issues with the stock bars being too low.

·
13,185 Posts
So just how tight are they on your wrist?
I don't use the wrist Velcro strap and mater of fact I always ride with gloves. Cut down on the age spots if you will

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the thing the gloves aren't tight at the wrist, my hands don't get fatigued so I don't think I grip to tight. They just go numb with gloves. Let me clarify something I was just thinking about, it's more my fingers versus the whole hand. Maybe it's too tight across the first knuckle.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The counter balancers are what causes the numbness in your hands. I have the same issue. At highway speed RPMs the CBers start to have a counter effect in the bars. Keep the rpms lower and you'll see an improvement. Not sure about how to handle the glove/no glove thing. I actually have had the same experience. And, I think it was said earlier that wearing gloves causes you to grip tighter. I think that's right.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to try some Mechanix Wear gloves. Seems a lot of the chopper guys wear them. They are designed to reduce vibrations.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I think the gloves are pinching a nerve while in the riding position. Pay attention to where the gloves are tighter that normal like the wrist.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i had the same problem, someone on here told me about grip puppies, got some and put them on, now i ride with no gloves at all, and have no more numbness, they worked for me and were only about 10 bucks, well off to the gazebo cheersfor a beer

·
Registered
154 Posts
Do you use a cramp buster? Being able to loosen your grip and just steady the throttle with the weight of your wrist is a life saver in my opinion. They are only $11 or so.

I don't know how anyone rides without one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's been the discussion about tight grip. I rode yesterday again with a different pair of riding gloves. Similar in style but older and a bit worn in. It has to do with wrist angle and the resistance of the leather on my hand. I don't generally wrap my hand completely around the grip, my fingers will rest on the brake lever when holding a steady speed and I constantly flex and move them to keep them from cramping. Once again however they went numb with gloves and were fine without gloves. I have a set of the Mechanix Wear gloves coming. I think it has a lot to do with the leather not giving enough in certain areas and pinching the circulation or nerves in my fingers. If it was strictly vibration it would occur with or without gloves. I consciously paid attention to grip pressure on yesterdays ride and varied the grip often, kept my fingers moving and loose with the same result.

·
Registered
813 Posts
That's been the discussion about tight grip. I rode yesterday again with a different pair of riding gloves. Similar in style but older and a bit worn in. It has to do with wrist angle and the resistance of the leather on my hand. I don't generally wrap my hand completely around the grip, my fingers will rest on the brake lever when holding a steady speed and I constantly flex and move them to keep them from cramping. Once again however they went numb with gloves and were fine without gloves. I have a set of the Mechanix Wear gloves coming. I think it has a lot to do with the leather not giving enough in certain areas and pinching the circulation or nerves in my fingers. If it was strictly vibration it would occur with or without gloves. I consciously paid attention to grip pressure on yesterdays ride and varied the grip often, kept my fingers moving and loose with the same result.
I can't wear gloves either. I would love to know how the Mechanix Wear gloves work. I have ISO grips on 1 bike and solid on the other. Still have the problem with either bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Received some Hex Armor Chrome series gloves from a friend and so far they are working out. I will have a longer ride report coming to see how they stack up over all. They are a bit stiff due to some protection on the palm but not bad at all. Probably could have gone 1 size smaller as they seem to run big. FYI these are similar to Mehcanix Wear but more industrial for this set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts