Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was doing some reading on the forum I found several posts mentioning the Closed loop 08 vegas could have some MPG and performance gains by removing the 02 connections. I'm adding it to my early- spring list of things to do before taking her back out.

Just outta curiosity, do you guys think i will feel a difference? I already have RPW slash pipes, S&S intake w/flash from S&S.

Thx

·
Registered
336 Posts
dont know for sure but it takes less then two minutes to find out... pull the plug and give it a ride...cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Well i was doing some reading on the forum I found several posts mentioning the Closed loop 08 vegas could have some MPG and performance gains by removing the 02 connections. I'm adding it to my early- spring list of things to do before taking her back out.

Just outta curiosity, do you guys think i will feel a difference? I already have RPW slash pipes, S&S intake w/flash from S&S.

Thx
That makes no sense. From everything I've read, the O2 sensors only *cut* the amount of fuel delivery when they sense too much oxygen in the exhaust.

Not saying it's an awful thing to do, I've done it myself to both of my bikes, but the people who experienced better MPG were likely fooled by some other parameter like quality of gas, temperature of the day they rode etc.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I took out the sound strip, disconnected the 02 sensors and installed D & Ds -the bike runs perfect - no popping etc. It feels like it pulls harder now and for sure sounds better!
From what I've read, the reason for disconnecting the 02 sensors is that it richens the fuel mixture during decel which helps stop the popping.
I get outstanding MPG (43-52) with the above set up and plan no other changes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm with saddlebag on this. There is no way that disconnecting your O2's (which adds fuel BTW) is going to give you better fuel economy. I unplugged mine and couldn't tell any difference in performance and I actually noticed a drop in fuel economy. But I'm pretty sure it just coincided with the fact that I was just finishing my break in period so I am alot more liberal with the throttle now.

To note though, when I installed my RPW pipes I had the O2's unplugged and I still got a ton of popping and backfiring. It took me getting a PCV and a dyno tune to fix that. Obviously other people have had different experiences.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Disconnecting the O² sensor will not improve your gas mileage, nor will it help the environment. If you can tell a difference when the bike runs leaner or richer, then you've got some extra senses most people don't. The result of O² sensors being disconnected is a slightly cooler running motor, and good looking spark plugs. Yes, gas mileage (at least in theory) should be worst with them disconnected, but there is no way you would notice that, unless you burn most of your tank idling, in which case you're not getting any miles per gallon anyway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 08 Vegas. I had read the thread about disconnecting the O2 connections, so I tried it with my Stage 1 slip-ons. I did notice better gas milage but it could be other factors at play. It wasn't much anyway. It did seem to run a bit better(less popping).Since then I have installed the Ness slash pipes. My plugs were black; indicating a rich mix. I decided to plug my O2's in to see if that makes the mix right. I could be wrong but I think it takes some time for the ECM work at its best. I haven't had good weather to ride and then look at the plugs. I recommend that you try it like I did. I assume you saw the instructions on how to do it. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I took out the sound strip, disconnected the 02 sensors and installed D & Ds -the bike runs perfect - no popping etc. It feels like it pulls harder now and for sure sounds better!
From what I've read, the reason for disconnecting the 02 sensors is that it richens the fuel mixture during decel which helps stop the popping.
I get outstanding MPG (43-52) with the above set up and plan no other changes.
Disconnecting the O2 sensors forces the fuel injection into 'open loop' which reads a set of pre-determined fuel maps instead of allowing the computer to make mixture adjustments based on what it "see's" through the O2 & other sensors. To each there own, I tried mine with them unhooked and didn't like it. Gas mileage went noticably down, bike seemed like it loaded up on fuel and caused popping which I didn't have with them hooked up. Mines a '10 XC with the S1 and it runs perfect set up the way it came with the S1 installed by the dealer I bought from so I guess I leave it alone and enjoy the ride. Keep in mind I have the S1fuel map installed which by your post I take you do not however I would attribute your performance gains from removing the strip and the mufflers. Main thing is if it runs good and doesn't pop it sounds like you have a winner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts