·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read a post lately about your engine running cooler by
unhooking the O2 sensors. does this just throw the ecm
in closed loop all the time.i assume your fuel air ratio is
now constant. at what ratio? 14.7? does this motor stay
around 13.2 or is it more? im looking for info as for what you would it do to the motor running around all the time with them unhooked
other than be rich and get less mileage. is there any real good
reason to do it to begin with on a completely stock '11 CR?
sounds like a stupid ? but thought i would ask. was 95 degrees
last sat and a lot of engine heat coming up at me. of course
im coming off of a liquid cooled vtx.--irv

·
Registered
298 Posts
If I'm not mistaken disconnecting them throws it into open loop and it runs at a predetermined AFR which is lower than the O2 sensors are set at, therefore making it run a bit cooler. But at 95 degrees any air-cooled engine is gonna throw off a lot of heat - regardless of the AFR.

·
Registered
254 Posts
read a post lately about your engine running cooler by
unhooking the O2 sensors. does this just throw the ecm
in closed loop all the time.i assume your fuel air ratio is
now constant. at what ratio? 14.7? does this motor stay
around 13.2 or is it more? im looking for info as for what you would it do to the motor running around all the time with them unhooked
other than be rich and get less mileage. is there any real good
reason to do it to begin with on a completely stock '11 CR?
sounds like a stupid ? but thought i would ask. was 95 degrees
last sat and a lot of engine heat coming up at me. of course
im coming off of a liquid cooled vtx.--irv
I'm not sure about the numbers and I have no experience with that. What I can tell you is my experience. I've been running no sensors for over a week now and have gone through about 3 tanks of fuel. At the time I unhooked mine, we had already reached 100 deg and my motor was getting quite warm. Within a mile, my butt was hot and legs could definitely feel the heat. Without the sensors, my butt doesn't get hot at all and the heat on my legs is greatly reduced and not felt for at least 5 miles.

Mileage...here's the really strange thing: it went up. Doesn't make sense I know, but the numbers don't lie. I went from going 140-145 on 3.5 gallons to over 150 on the same amount. NOT what I was expecting. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

·
13,235 Posts
Leave your 02's hooked up. thumb up
You un hook them to create a richer running motor. So guys with up grade exhaust try to eliminate exhaust popping.
Yes your motor will run a tiny bit cooler in high elevation.
Motorcycle create heat and we sit on top of the oven so you should expect heat.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Leave your 02's hooked up. thumb up
You un hook them to create a richer running motor. So guys with up grade exhaust try to eliminate exhaust popping.
Yes your motor will run a tiny bit cooler in high elevation.
Motorcycle create heat and we sit on top of the oven so you should expect heat.
Engine runs measurably cooler, makes better power, has improved drivability, and smoother throttle response. With o2 sensors unplugged. With the bike forced into open loop; average mixture is in the 13.7-14.0 range. Instead of the air cooled unfriendly 14.7-15.2 it runs in closed loop. Whats not to love

·
Registered
254 Posts
Engine runs measurably cooler, makes better power, has improved drivability, and smoother throttle response. With o2 sensors unplugged. With the bike forced into open loop; average mixture is in the 13.7-14.0 range.
Just to clarify Kevin, the above is with sensors disco'd right?

Instead of the air cooled unfriendly 14.7-15.2 it runs in closed loop. Whats not to love
This is with sensors connected?

Just want to make sure.

Thank you for the info!thumb up

·
Registered
56 Posts
I assume we will have to take out the CATS eventually as someone said it would clog them up?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I assume we will have to take out the CATS eventually as someone said it would clog them up?

Bikes still have the lean cut programing, and use the IAC as a air pump. So odds are good that you will never have to worry about cats being plugged. I have at least 2 customers with well over 100K; cats in o2's out. Leave em in it Visions, and X bikes. They actually MAKE power

·
Registered
56 Posts
So Kevin, you say I can leave the O2 sensors unplugged on my 08 kingpin and it will not bring on any foreseen problems? No engine lights or anything? Because I loved the way it ran with them unhooked. Noticeable difference in power and lower temps. How about when I go up the the mountains, any issues there with altitude? Glad to hear some solid answers on this matter. We don't have emissions checks in SC, so I'm not too worried about any of that.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
So Kevin, you say I can leave the O2 sensors unplugged on my 08 kingpin and it will not bring on any foreseen problems? No engine lights or anything? Because I loved the way it ran with them unhooked. Noticeable difference in power and lower temps. How about when I go up the the mountains, any issues there with altitude? Glad to hear some solid answers on this matter. We don't have emissions checks in SC, so I'm not too worried about any of that.
You got it! No lights or any other real drawbacks. The system used on our bikes is pretty much as high tech as a 1974 VW Super Beetle. Mountains and excreta are looked at by your MAP/BARO sensor. Just like the Vic's with o2 hooked up. When you key the bike up before it starts. The sensor looks at BARO pressure.
BTW if you unhook only one sensor, and leave the other hooked up. You will get a light

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Wow, now that's weird.
Not really. Them engineers got some big brains, and they figured. If you have to put something in the exhaust stream. It might as well reduce reversion, and aid velocity

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
This subject went around before and I was reading every word to get a consensus as to the results. There seemed to be a lot of advantages and no minuses, so I not only disconnected my O2 sensors, I removed them. Filled in the holes with plugs I got free from an exhaust shop - pipes and cats come with plugs that they remove and cast aside. One advantage of removing them is it visually cleans up things around the engine.
I guess there is one minus; my mileage dropped from 50 mpg on highway trips to 47. I take that as an indication of richer running and a good thing.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Man I am going to ounce really stupid but where are sensors on an 06 Jackpot

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Man I am going to ounce really stupid but where are sensors on an 06 Jackpot
Your 2006 Jackpot is not 2008 and newer. Lucky you! ;)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I meant to delete that question after I went online. Thanks for the answer

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I meant to delete that question after I went online. Thanks for the answer
It's alright. If you didn't ask it, someone else would have. :eek: There are no wrong questions - it's only wrong not to ask questions.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bikes still have the lean cut programing, and use the IAC as a air pump. So odds are good that you will never have to worry about cats being plugged. I have at least 2 customers with well over 100K; cats in o2's out. Leave em in it Visions, and X bikes. They actually MAKE power
kevinx; I have a 2008 jackpot with Vic stage one kit, pipes, K&N fillter, fuel program, should I disconnect the o2 sensers. I think what I'm reading in this tread the motor will have more power and run cooler?

I'm not worried about fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
i removd mine and plugged the holes.. and the popping didnt stop! I was so glad..:ltr:..my mileage went down to 43 from 47. It does run way cooler. It feels like more power I like the way it runs better as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts