Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's see him blame this on Bush

Volunteers and disaster victims have taken rescue, recovery and security into their own hands on New York's storm-ravaged borough of Staten Island, where they say FEMA has forgotten them.
Already without power for more than a week in the wake of superstorm Sandy, hard-hit residents of the borough's South Shore braved a nor'easter Wednesday night, many -- perhaps hundreds -- huddling in condemned homes and ignoring orders to evacuate out of fear looters would take what little Mother Nature has left them
"FEMA packed up everything yesterday and left the area," said MaryLou Wong, whose home in the Midland Beach neighborhood was destroyed. "They haven't come back."

"FEMA packed up everything yesterday and left the area."​
- MaryLou Wong, Staten Island resident

Punch-drunk residents' ire is also aimed at the city -- which is going door-to-door to order people out of their homes -- at the American Red Cross, which some say has not done enough and at police and firefighters. One group of residents, calling themselves the "Brown Cross," is patrolling the devastated streets, armed with walkie-talkies, and helping residents clear debris and pump water from their flooded homes. The group started with a dozen men, and has swollen to more than 100.
“We’re basically giving the people of the neighborhood organization,” Frank Recce, the 24-year-old longshoreman and Iraq Army veteran who organized the group, told FoxNews.com. “We were able to hit more than 200 houses by Monday. We’ve done more for our community than FEMA, the Red Cross and the National Guard combined, directly hitting houses and people in need.”
Last week, when President Obama toured the New Jersey and New York coastal areas hit hard by Sandy, he vowed to get help to the victims quickly.
“No bureaucracy. No red tape,” Obama vowed.
FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the agency is helping, and urged people to go to www.DisasterAssistance.gov or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
"FEMA is part of a big team on the response and recovery to Sandy, and we continue to closely coordinate with our partners in and outside of government," Fugate said.
But it didn't sit right with many that FEMA, citing the weather, closed temporary shelters as the nor'easter bore down on the borough -- just when people needed them most. The agency was to open a pair of mobile disaster recovery centers at noon, after opening two earlier on Thursday. They had been closed Tuesday at 6 p.m. due to safety concerns in advance of the nor'easter that hit the borough on Wednesday, said John Knowles, a FEMA spokesman.
As of Thursday morning, more than 4,000 people were without power on Staten Island. Hundreds were staying in temporary shelters, where many complained they were treated like prisoners -- given curfews and rationed food. Many more -- likely hundreds -- chose to ride out the nor’easter in homes deemed unsafe out of fear that looters could strike and take whatever they have left.
“The big unknown is how many people are remaining in their homes, homes that are essentially uninhabitable, people who, by Friday or next week, when the weather gets colder and the rains come, are going to come to the realization that they can no longer stay where they are,” state Sen. Andrew Lanza told the Staten Island Advance.
The city Buildings Department was going door to door in Staten Island’s hard-hit neighborhoods and posting color-coded placards on homes to notify residents if they could go back in. Green and yellow placards signify the home is safe to re-enter, but for homes with red placards, the city advises residents to “hire a New York State-licensed professional (Registered Architect or Professional Engineer) to file plans with the department and a hire a contractor to make the necessary repairs.
Hiring an architect was not on the immediate horizon for residents who were simply trying to survive. Those who didn't guard their homes went to shelters, and even huddled together on buses as the second storm, dubbed Athena, dumped nearly half-a-foot of snow.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/08/volunteers-step-in-for-fema-in-storm-ravaged-nyc-borough/#ixzz2BelAhIXa

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Let's see him blame this on Bush

Volunteers and disaster victims have taken rescue, recovery and security into their own hands on New York's storm-ravaged borough of Staten Island, where they say FEMA has forgotten them.
Already without power for more than a week in the wake of superstorm Sandy, hard-hit residents of the borough's South Shore braved a nor'easter Wednesday night, many -- perhaps hundreds -- huddling in condemned homes and ignoring orders to evacuate out of fear looters would take what little Mother Nature has left them
"FEMA packed up everything yesterday and left the area," said MaryLou Wong,

So Depot, being a staunch conservative I'm sure you feel that those people defending their belongings from phantom looters deserve what they get for not insuring themselves adequately, right? If they were properly insured, they could move inland and not worry about the remainder of their belongings, right? Maybe O should mandate minimum homeowner insurance next? That would save the federal gov't from having to bail them out dontcha think?

·
Registered
194 Posts
So how exactly is it Obama's fault that those people did not carry insurance, and so they feel they must remain to protect their belongings from looters?

The only person who has failed here is YOU. thumb up

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Depot, being a staunch conservative I'm sure you feel that those people defending their belongings from phantom looters deserve what they get for not insuring themselves adequately, right? If they were properly insured, they could move inland and not worry about the remainder of their belongings, right? Maybe O should mandate minimum homeowner insurance next? That would save the federal gov't from having to bail them out dontcha think?
I doubt if it is that simple. Losing all your stuff is more than inconvienient.
I was merely pointing out Bush got crucified for Katrina even though it was clearly Nagin's fault.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
I'm afraid the looney tunes lefties are right DP. Kick back with cold beer or ice tea and just watch the country fall apart. Thanks to a lot of wrong-headed folks in this country; that's pretty much all that's left to do on our end. It's all up to the those who got elected now.

I do have one question though. Who is the oblamer going to blame this mess he inherited from the last four years on? He has already proven he can't fix it and only make it worse.

Buy lots of guns and ammo friends. It could easily come down to another civil war. Be prepared and get out of the cities if you can. It will be much worse there than out in the country. It's all over but the dyin' now. Lock and load and carry at all times.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@depot - is it too late to vote? :ltr:

lets go ride duuuude!cheers
Had to put star washers on my battery after work. it's on the battery tender now. If it starts in an hour I'll be riding a few minutes after. Should be in the 30s by the time I get home. AND...I WANT A RECOUNT!cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had to put star washers on my battery after work. it's on the battery tender now. If it starts in an hour I'll be riding a few minutes after. Should be in the 30s by the time I get home. AND...I WANT A RECOUNT!cheers
30s?!?!? man i fell ya...it's in the mid 70s down here in texas :D...this is why i cant move up north :( dont like the 'cold'. i hope Marguerite starts cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
I get what your saying depot. I am not sure why all these people are talking about insurance and people getting what they deserve. Thats not even close to what he is saying and the ones who are saying these things should stop putting words in peoples mouths. The only thing this says is people (not all some) are not getting the help they need during this catastrophe. I also know plenty of republicans and not a single one will hesitate to help a person when they need it no matter where they are from or what color they are. So for some of the guys on here to keep acting like republicans as a whole are racist is stupid.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I get what your saying depot. I am not sure why all these people are talking about insurance and people getting what they deserve.
The underlying concept behind conservatism is self reliance. In and of itself, it's a fine concept. The issue is that we live together and benefit by having a central authority that can direct common resources and referee disputes. This direction of common resources to storm victims is "redistribution" of wealth.

Now I'll grant you that there are lots of Republicans who understand this and no one is saying they wouldn't help their neighbors. But the Fox News of the world want their viewers to believe they can have it both ways. If Obama spends a nickle of tax money, he's a raging Marxist who is going to take your freedom and possessions. If he doesn't spend enough gov't money to fix $50 billion in storm damages in a week, he's too stingy and inconsiderate.

The Katrina victims were dirt poor and had no means of picking up and leaving. I seem to recall a lot of right wingers blaming them for their situation because they failed to leave as they were instructed.

People with coastal property on Long Island, Staten Island, etc, are typically not people without means to leave when they are instructed to do so. If they are staying against the instructions of authorities, what would you do if you were in charge? Would you have Obama force gov't officials to stay with them in dangerous conditions to help protect their uninsured material goods?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Storm was classified as a tropical storm not a hurricane. This will help many with insurance. From the huge hurricane deductible to their regular deductible. If you don't have insurance you are very foolish.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ok, being a partial,outsider, after reading the posts, the question that comes to mind is this.... Does FEMA only assist people that had homeowners insurance? Is that why they were so ineffective for Katrina victims?

·
Registered
155 Posts
. This direction of common resources to storm victims is "redistribution" of wealth.
again another stupid ass comment. for you to claim to be such an educated guy you cannot see past the end of your nose. here you go again trying to twist a dislike of redistribution into terms that fit what you want. i have not been watching the news lately but would like to know which from the right are saying stop giving aid to the storm victims.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
again another stupid ass comment. for you to claim to be such an educated guy you cannot see past the end of your nose. here you go again trying to twist a dislike of redistribution into terms that fit what you want. i have not been watching the news lately but would like to know which from the right are saying stop giving aid to the storm victims.
Why don't you try to answer my question. If *you* were president, what would *you* do differently? It's fine to criticize gov't, but when you do, you should be able to explain what's wrong and how *you* would change it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Would you have Obama force gov't officials to stay with them in dangerous conditions to help protect their uninsured material goods?
I know it's different but that right there is FUNNY STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been ordered to remain in much more dangerous situations for people who WON'T (or can't) protect what is theirs. As far as the nor-easter, we've weathered blizzards and ice storms in friggen GP small hex tents with a yukon heater for a field training exercise. So I guess I'll cry em a river. (the .gov officials that had to leave for their safety that is.)

Should people try to prepare for disaster? YEP! Should the various levels of .gov be prepared to aid when it happens? YEP! Is my disaster plan to sit around and wait on the .gov? NOPE!

And I'm not twisting words. Just stating my opinion and we know what that equates to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts