Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wish I could afford one for a second bike. The weight. engine specs, all remind me of the old Honda Magna. That was the most fun bike I ever had. It was not comfortable for any distance, bu it sure was a fun bike to play around on. This could never replace my Kingpin, though. It just does everything so well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wish I could afford one for a second bike. The weight. engine specs, all remind me of the old Honda Magna. That was the most fun bike I ever had. It was not comfortable for any distance, bu it sure was a fun bike to play around on. This could never replace my Kingpin, though. It just does everything so well.
Interesting that you wrote this. I'm considering trading in my Magna for one... :grin

Reactions: SubDude

·
Premium Member
192 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Thanks for that John. It really was bugging me that I had seen something like the Octane many years prior. Nothing new under the sun, they say.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
Interesting they went with single piston dual disks up front rather than a dual piston single brake like what the Octane has.

I think if I had an Octane I would change the rear shocks to Ohlins 4" travel and raise the front end with dual disk dual piston disks on 1" extended Ohlins inverted forks. It would give me more shock travel and more lean angle. Probably cost around $4k to do but it would be a sweet riding bike. Then also do some performance upgrades as well as exhaust as I could afford it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Interesting they went with single piston dual disks up front rather than a dual piston single brake like what the Octane has.
I don't think anyone had even thought of using a dual piston caliper on a bike when the XLCR was new BBob!

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts

I think if I had an Octane I would change the rear shocks to Ohlins 4" travel and raise the front end with dual disk dual piston disks on 1" extended Ohlins inverted forks. It would give me more shock travel and more lean angle. Probably cost around $4k to do but it would be a sweet riding bike. Then also do some performance upgrades as well as exhaust as I could afford it.
Those are 70's Cafe racers.

Click

I know a guy that has #2 in the production line as new never rode it or changed it.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
I don't think anyone had even thought of using a dual piston caliper on a bike when the XLCR was new BBob!
I was wondering about that as I wrote it and hoped someone would point it out if that was the case. Thanks!

pro->
con-x

>104hp
>535lbs
>6spd
>liq cooled
>dual shock

x3.4 fuel
xrear fender
xpipes
xcolor

IMHO - it's just not an eye catcher although sure it would be fun to ride. For 10 grand, spend a couple thousand more and get what you really want.
I agree Dill. I think of this bike as a starting point. Not a turnkey finished product. The buyer is expected to make personal changes although I'm sure there are some peeps who will be perfectly happy with the way it is for the most part.

I'm not sure I would put the dual shocks in the Pro section. Most modern bikes have gone to single shock rear suspension. I guess we could call it a draw.

I say give it a year or so and see what people come up with. Remember the Scout dealer contest on how many different ways it could be modified or customized? I think it was also meant to show what could be done with the Octane; in a subliminal way.

Custom Scout Dealer Contest | Indian Motorcycle

·
13,263 Posts
1977 XLCR was the first for Harley and dual disc. It was a Willy G design when he came back from europe. 1000 cc and not a bad bike. They only sold them for 2 years with a little over flow in 79. There a roomer of green and red ones but I never saw them. I owned 5 of them at one time. The best was the one I had the motor built and add NOS. Could beat just about any other Harley and would give 750 Hondas fits when they would race me. The fairing and rear fender were made out of heavy fiberglass.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm not sure I would put the dual shocks in the Pro section. Most modern bikes have gone to single shock rear suspension. I guess we could call it a draw.
Well! I've never been impressed with single shocks. All the duals I have owned seemed to give a smoother ride. I'm living in pothole country and while the seat helps, it can't counter the pots and bumps from asphalt patching.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts